Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:11 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times

Advertisements

Little Rock has its problems, but compare the downtown revitalization there to Jackson. Little Rock has also never experienced a population decline in the city proper. It is still growing. They are doing some things right to curb flight and enhance the city core. They are blessed with a nice riverfront area, and the bike loop along the riverfront is an impressive recreational amenity. When I was in Little Rock, I was very impressed with all of the new development in the downtown area. The western side of the city in the hills is also very prosperous and growing. They have big suburbs which are growing as well, but not to the total detriment of the city core.

Little Rock may be a "low bar" to some, but I think it is a realistic aspiration for Jackson to model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 07:28 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I graduated from a segregated Jackson high school in 1963, and went straight into the service. I am white.

The ONE thing everyone in boot camp knew about me is that I was from Jackson, and Jackson was the location of racial riots. I was once cautiously approached by a black sailor who asked if I was from Jackson. Turned out, he was, too, and he just wondered if we both knew the same places; there was never a discussion of us knowing the same people.

I don't think the decline of Jackson could be narrowed down to a specific year, but you have to ask yourself this question:
Why would a reasonable, intelligent and ambitious person move to - or stay in - such a place?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times
Basically because it is still the largest city in Mississippi and the capital city of Mississippi. Being both, it has the potential to offer more amenities and things to do than other towns and cities in Mississippi. Sadly, it has never really lived up to that potential.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:37 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
People love water. People loves rivers. Jackson was blessed with a river also, the Pearl. Every time I cross the Pearl on I55i imagine the shores being built up with a promenade, and with restaurants and retail. Perhaps hand-powered boats cruising up and down the river, Venice style.

What hurts the Jackson area is a lack of an entertainment area, a place where there are several restaurants and several bars, all located together and feeding off the energy of each other. So when people come to town and ask where they can go and have a good time, everyone could point them to that part of town.

Instead the Pearl is wasted on a few hunters and kids going in the woods getting drunk.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:52 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
People love water. People loves rivers. Jackson was blessed with a river also, the Pearl. Every time I cross the Pearl on I55i imagine the shores being built up with a promenade, and with restaurants and retail. Perhaps hand-powered boats cruising up and down the river, Venice style.

What hurts the Jackson area is a lack of an entertainment area, a place where there are several restaurants and several bars, all located together and feeding off the energy of each other. So when people come to town and ask where they can go and have a good time, everyone could point them to that part of town.

Instead the Pearl is wasted on a few hunters and kids going in the woods getting drunk.

Yes. You touched on why I think LR is a good example for Jackson. The riverfront in Little Rock and the River Market entertainment district are both things that Jackson could emulate.

The River Market district is anchored by a large open-air farmer's market pavilion and amphitheater. Those amenities were put into place first. The bars/restaurants started to trickle in after that. Then came residential density. The presidential library set it all off. Now the gentrification and reinvestment is spreading throughout the downtown areas on both banks of the Arkansas River, including the Argenta Arts District in North LR. The downtowns are connected via electric streetcar lines now. Little Rock has momentum and frankly I am pretty impressed by their downtown area compared to lots of similar sized cities.

Arkansas Live Music - Arkansas Artists - Little Rock River Market

https://www.facebook.com/ArgentaArtsDistrict

Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,807 times
One problem with Jackson is there's too much of a can't-do attitude, whether it's from its own citizens or even more by outsiders.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
One problem with Jackson is there's too much of a can't-do attitude, whether it's from its own citizens or even more by outsiders.

Can't do by outsiders? How exactly does that affect Jackson?

Old 08-04-2015, 05:17 AM

772 posts, read 1,000,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Can't do by outsiders? How exactly does that affect Jackson?
Because it takes effort from people living in the city & the surrounding suburbs. The people in the suburbs have got to quit dogging Jackson, & acting like they don't owe their town's success to the city.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Because it takes effort from people living in the city & the surrounding suburbs. The people in the suburbs have got to quit dogging Jackson, & acting like they don't owe their town's success to the city.
Blaming people in the suburbs for Jacksons problems is the one thing some Jackson residents do very well.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
West Jackson actually was Eastover before Eastover existed.

The country club was in west Jackson until the late 1950s.

http://tinyurl.com/po72wrc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson