Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 AM

128 posts, read 298,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Ellygirl, let me get this straight...

You moved to Jackson and got yourself hooked up into a group that has known each other since college (Ole Miss), all live near each other, go to the same church, their kids go to the same private school together (JA), their kids play on the same sports teams together, the families vacation together, go out together on weekends, and have basically been together for decades. And you expect to just step in and become part of the group?

Would that strategy work ANYWHERE?

When you were in Nashville you very easily could have tried to worm your way into a group of Univ of Tennessee grads, who had never ventured out of the state, who all go to the same church, who assumed that because they went to the "big name" private school in Nashville, and then went to UT, and then came back to work in their daddy's law firm, that they had made it. But instead your job allowed you to meet people from all over the country, people who had seen and done many different things, people who have varied interests.

You want to meet cosmopolitan people, you have to go where the cosmopolitan people ARE. Jackson has them, but in general they won't be found at Jackson Academy, or at North Jackson Youth Baseball, or at whatever mega-church in the suburbs you want to name.
There is definitely a small "alternative" culture in Jackson. Maybe OP should try meeting new people by shopping at Rainbow Coop and hanging out at Cups Coffeehouse afterwards, or regularly attending concerts at Thalia Mara Hall. St. Andrew's used to have a reputation as the more "liberal" school in town -- I think that's changed a little bit, but you'll definitely find families from other states there who you may have more in common with. And there are LOTS of churches -- if you don't fir in at First Baptist (or First Methodist or whatever) try something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,332 times
Have u found the bugs are aweful!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 AM

190 posts, read 692,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyralovelace View Post
Have u found the bugs are aweful!!!
Showering regularly works wonders.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 PM

41 posts, read 212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Ellygirl, let me get this straight...

You moved to Jackson and got yourself hooked up into a group that has known each other since college (Ole Miss), all live near each other, go to the same church, their kids go to the same private school together (JA), their kids play on the same sports teams together, the families vacation together, go out together on weekends, and have basically been together for decades. And you expect to just step in and become part of the group?

Would that strategy work ANYWHERE?

When you were in Nashville you very easily could have tried to worm your way into a group of Univ of Tennessee grads, who had never ventured out of the state, who all go to the same church, who assumed that because they went to the "big name" private school in Nashville, and then went to UT, and then came back to work in their daddy's law firm, that they had made it. But instead your job allowed you to meet people from all over the country, people who had seen and done many different things, people who have varied interests.

You want to meet cosmopolitan people, you have to go where the cosmopolitan people ARE. Jackson has them, but in general they won't be found at Jackson Academy, or at North Jackson Youth Baseball, or at whatever mega-church in the suburbs you want to name.
Actually, yes, that strategy would work in many places. Nashville is NOT like here at all. UT graduates don't act like they are better than others like Ole Miss grads do. (Even though it is a better school. Even graduates of Vanderbilt aren't generally like that.) The people who go to "big name" private schools also don't claim superiority over others because there are reminders everywhere that you aren't better than anyone else. (i.e. There is always someone richer, better looking, more intelligent, or more famous, etc. around the next corner.) Even the families that vacation together etc. are generally welcoming to others and happy to include newcomers... Your comments prove that the MS attitudes I'm talking about, and am so frustrated with, are real. The mere fact that you assume other places are like here, proves that. The only other states that may be similar are other southeastern states such as AL, GA, and SC.

I have always tried to reach out to others, especially newcomers. I was born in Nashville, raised in Dallas, and lived in NC for a while. Nowhere have I encountered such a closed society as exists here. If you don't believe me, just hop over to Randy's posts on why he hates MS. You'll hear many of the same complaints.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 11,455 times
let me start off by saying that i absolutely love MS. my close relations are from the choctaw/winston county areas. i visited, from chicago (true historians will feel the reference here) every single year as a child. let me say it again, i love MS. my beloved is a proud MS delta man and he helped me to see MS through different eyes; we both love MS DESPITE the challenges.

HOWEVER

living in MS was alot different than i expected as a visitor. jobs were limited (i used past tense cuz i have since relocated);the OP was correct: hospitality is limited to passers-by. nepotism is definitely alive and kicking in MS. a less qualified MS'pian would get a job much sooner than a more qualified "outsider". progressive people - keep it moving! progression just ain't happening here & if it is - you better know the "who's who" to get in on it.

out of fairness to all i did not read every post in this thread; its really not necessary as this topic is ages old and based on ones personal experience but the job/career issue is one that MS must deal with if it hopes to overcome the negative views. too bad the people that can do anything about this are not reading this thread.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,588 times
Angry the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth!

she's 100 plus 10% CORRECT! in here interputations of MISSISSIPPI!

I was born and raised in jackson, MS;
and I couldn't wait to get out of here fast enough when I finished high school! this state left stains on my soul and reeked of wrongful doings!

the only thing I can say now is...
"its a lot better than it was, 1960's"...
but it sometime feels as the same old feel, backward!!!! (example: we were one of the last states to get, ATMs, broadband internet and even cell phones... MISSISSIPPI, the last in almost everything, and I should know,
I came here to "VISIT", 1970 to 2010..so I know, PROGRESS!

but the lady is ABSOLUTELY correct in every way... and I should know this well! I've lived in the states of California, Illinois, Wisconsin, New York City, NY & Maryland (Baltimore)...

and this has to be one of the worst states in the union... I am so glad
that the Governor of this state, did not run for President! that would have
shattered this state's real quality of life here...and its image. a lot of people, abroad, THINKS, we, our state has advanced!, living in the Y2K!

but trust me, its nothing to brag about, and the only reason that Im back!...my parents are gone-on and left me properties, so its the only reason I'm back here, for "FREE RENTS". because New York City charges on average, about $2,000.00 a month for a 1 bedroom in a nice area, with low crime!

and speaking of crime:

the city of Jackson has the entire UNIVERSE beat! with all the crooked
politicians and government at hand... 99% are about as or for justice as a
thief in the night. our streets, buildings and them DAYUMMM car tags,
are a rip-off! and speaking of licensing plates for the car(s) in MISSISSIPPI:

"the people of MISSISSIPPI needs to run all those low-life politicians out of office!". its a sin before Christ to charge anyone, $200, $400, $800, $1200, even $2500.00 for WHAT!

I've lived in about 5, 6 states, and no state in this union charges no more than a couple hundred of dollars for a used type of car... BUT! this rip-off state of MISSISSIPPPI. and a new care costing $2500.00 for a car tag... its outrageous! with all its terrible streets and highways, they are charging its citizens, the highest in the whole universe. and in Italy, they charges a lot less, but not like here in this BACKWARD MISSISSIPPI...

WHO SITS AND COMES UP WITH THIS STUPID, CRAP?

I am so glad that Gov. Barbour didn't run for office... I would have wrote a letter to the newspapers of America, that even Christ Himself, would have to weep! PEOPLE of Mississippi, "you pay all these taxes PERIOD!", for what, I am asking? who in the HELL taxes raw foods! if its not processed, and ready to eat (Mcdonalds)...you pay taxes, BUT you CANNOT tax raw foods that has to be prepared, folks! and WHERE is all these taxes going anyway? its taxes for everything here! I see no nice skyscrapers, I see no modern downtown's, nothing but the politicians pockets are very FAT... and trust me, its not going back to the citizens of MISSISSIPPI! you go out 20 miles in any directions, and you're in the rurals towns... even worst in most cases.

WAKE-UP PEOPLE, YOU ARE BEEN SHAFTED, AND TAKEN! ITS ALL JUST A GAME FOR THE MANY THATS IN OFFICE!

I just sit and listen-to 99% of the state & city govenments intities. I try and find some rhythm or reasons, as to all the mess and confusion thats in MISSISSIPPI!...and why we are dead last in everything. we have hundreds of colleges, yet we're last in a lot of things! and some things are still, as it was in 1960s and early 70s. it seems, the people dont mind, just putting up with the 1930' styles and advancements; doing the same old, same ole... what a shame, PEOPLE! 99% of you need to tell that Governor's Masion... no more, our state needs to come-up too, the 2012! and you know what, "I bet you a month's salary, that Gov's masion downtown is wired for mission to Mars technology!

we, the state of MISSISSIPPI lacks, and are the last in everything in our union! AREN"T you tired of hearing, MISSISSIPPI is dead last?

truth!, if I could afford my new $3,000.00 rents in New York City, I would be gladly to move back there, trust me on this. but I know, PERSONALLY, there's a lot of monies in this state, but its being mis-used and funded to a lot of CRAP & in politicans pockets! and its so unfair to the citizens of MISSISSIPPI.

for instance & good example: that NO-GOOD city of clinton, they purposely give-out speeding tickets to subsidize their payrolls to make money for the city...(entrapments) and the officers are incouraged to do so...CROOKED I tell you! but to live-off its citizens, MISSISSIPPI's citizens, BECAUSE they can. I am so glad, that there is a God, a living God; and everyone of them (police) that commites those WRONGFUL acts, are judged accordingly! BECAUSE you get what you give!

question?:
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW, NEED TO KNOW IS...WHERE IS THE REAL JUSTICE IN THE GOOD'OLE SOUTH!, THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI? is it always going to stay as is... it seems if nothing's going to change, not even for the years 2025, 2050. the only thing I can really say here is, "PEOPLE go, go and see other cities, other states and even in Canada & Mexico. I see "WHY" 75% of people who graduates move to Atlanta, or even that dirty-azz city, New Orleans, because 99% of the universe do not live like the people in MISSISSIPPI.

its like we're in another time and space, lost..."LOST IN SPACE!, really". I've lived, worked and traveled in a many of U.S. cities, and trust me, when I tell you these things, MISSISSIPPI is dead last in a many of things! it seems, that this state is last in almost everything you can think of, even last in the advancements for any people in our union! ...and thats a'shame!

-thats really a shame!, when Alabama and Arkansas, well thats another story!

I'm telling it like it is;
THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH & NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 AM

55 posts, read 136,781 times
I live in Clinton, moved here in June, and love living here. I have never been stopped for any reason by the Clinton cops!!! I've joined YMCA, found a church home, and joined a writing group. I've met the local artist in Ole Town and partcipate in town functions. I've been welcomed by Mississippi

Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 AM

616 posts, read 854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Tell The TRuth View Post

I was born and raised in jackson, MS;
and I couldn't wait to get out of here fast enough when I finished high school! this state left stains on my soul and reeked of wrongful doings!

the only thing I can say now is...
"its a lot better than it was, 1960's"...
but it sometime feels as the same old feel, backward!!!! (example: we were one of the last states to get, ATMs, broadband internet and even cell phones... MISSISSIPPI, the last in almost everything, and I should know,
I came here to "VISIT", 1970 to 2010..so I know, PROGRESS!

but the lady is ABSOLUTELY correct in every way... and I should know this well! I've lived in the states of California, Illinois, Wisconsin, New York City, NY & Maryland (Baltimore)...

and this has to be one of the worst states in the union... I am so glad
that the Governor of this state, did not run for President! that would have
shattered this state's real quality of life here...and its image. a lot of people, abroad, THINKS, we, our state has advanced!, living in the Y2K!

but trust me, its nothing to brag about, and the only reason that Im back!...my parents are gone-on and left me properties, so its the only reason I'm back here, for "FREE RENTS". because New York City charges on average, about $2,000.00 a month for a 1 bedroom in a nice area, with low crime!

and speaking of crime:

the city of Jackson has the entire UNIVERSE beat! with all the crooked
politicians and government at hand... 99% are about as or for justice as a
thief in the night. our streets, buildings and them DAYUMMM car tags,
are a rip-off! and speaking of licensing plates for the car(s) in MISSISSIPPI:

"the people of MISSISSIPPI needs to run all those low-life politicians out of office!". its a sin before Christ to charge anyone, $200, $400, $800, $1200, even $2500.00 for WHAT!

I've lived in about 5, 6 states, and no state in this union charges no more than a couple hundred of dollars for a used type of car... BUT! this rip-off state of MISSISSIPPPI. and a new care costing $2500.00 for a car tag... its outrageous! with all its terrible streets and highways, they are charging its citizens, the highest in the whole universe. and in Italy, they charges a lot less, but not like here in this BACKWARD MISSISSIPPI...

WHO SITS AND COMES UP WITH THIS STUPID, CRAP?

I am so glad that Gov. Barbour didn't run for office... I would have wrote a letter to the newspapers of America, that even Christ Himself, would have to weep! PEOPLE of Mississippi, "you pay all these taxes PERIOD!", for what, I am asking? who in the HELL taxes raw foods! if its not processed, and ready to eat (Mcdonalds)...you pay taxes, BUT you CANNOT tax raw foods that has to be prepared, folks! and WHERE is all these taxes going anyway? its taxes for everything here! I see no nice skyscrapers, I see no modern downtown's, nothing but the politicians pockets are very FAT... and trust me, its not going back to the citizens of MISSISSIPPI! you go out 20 miles in any directions, and you're in the rurals towns... even worst in most cases.

WAKE-UP PEOPLE, YOU ARE BEEN SHAFTED, AND TAKEN! ITS ALL JUST A GAME FOR THE MANY THATS IN OFFICE!

I just sit and listen-to 99% of the state & city govenments intities. I try and find some rhythm or reasons, as to all the mess and confusion thats in MISSISSIPPI!...and why we are dead last in everything. we have hundreds of colleges, yet we're last in a lot of things! and some things are still, as it was in 1960s and early 70s. it seems, the people dont mind, just putting up with the 1930' styles and advancements; doing the same old, same ole... what a shame, PEOPLE! 99% of you need to tell that Governor's Masion... no more, our state needs to come-up too, the 2012! and you know what, "I bet you a month's salary, that Gov's masion downtown is wired for mission to Mars technology!

we, the state of MISSISSIPPI lacks, and are the last in everything in our union! AREN"T you tired of hearing, MISSISSIPPI is dead last?

truth!, if I could afford my new $3,000.00 rents in New York City, I would be gladly to move back there, trust me on this. but I know, PERSONALLY, there's a lot of monies in this state, but its being mis-used and funded to a lot of CRAP & in politicans pockets! and its so unfair to the citizens of MISSISSIPPI.

for instance & good example: that NO-GOOD city of clinton, they purposely give-out speeding tickets to subsidize their payrolls to make money for the city...(entrapments) and the officers are incouraged to do so...CROOKED I tell you! but to live-off its citizens, MISSISSIPPI's citizens, BECAUSE they can. I am so glad, that there is a God, a living God; and everyone of them (police) that commites those WRONGFUL acts, are judged accordingly! BECAUSE you get what you give!

question?:
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW, NEED TO KNOW IS...WHERE IS THE REAL JUSTICE IN THE GOOD'OLE SOUTH!, THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI? is it always going to stay as is... it seems if nothing's going to change, not even for the years 2025, 2050. the only thing I can really say here is, "PEOPLE go, go and see other cities, other states and even in Canada & Mexico. I see "WHY" 75% of people who graduates move to Atlanta, or even that dirty-azz city, New Orleans, because 99% of the universe do not live like the people in MISSISSIPPI.

its like we're in another time and space, lost..."LOST IN SPACE!, really". I've lived, worked and traveled in a many of U.S. cities, and trust me, when I tell you these things, MISSISSIPPI is dead last in a many of things! it seems, that this state is last in almost everything you can think of, even last in the advancements for any people in our union! ...and thats a'shame!

-thats really a shame!, when Alabama and Arkansas, well thats another story!

I'm telling it like it is;
THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH & NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH!
Keith? is that you?...LOL..I swear to God you echo the exact same sentiment as my long time friend Keith from Jackson. We worked together on the shipyard in Houston and did work out in the Gulf together.

He hates Mississippi so much he now tells people he's from Houston.

I came into this forum off a whim to ask people why is Mississippi such a pig sty and NOBODY responded. so I can only go off what people like you who lived there or live there now have to say and let me tell you, every single reply I've read of those that evacuated Mississippi warn us all to steer clear..and the one's who live there now are like "I love, it's the best". But to have 2 polar-opposite views by all that live there, something has got to be wrong. there is no middle ground there. you either love it like you love your mother or it's the doorway to Hell...LOL...why is that???

both sides can't be 100% correct.

I think the internet is exposing Mississippi big time...whether good or bad. and from all the horror stories, history and lack of catching up to 2011, It MUST be all bad.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM

190 posts, read 692,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Tell The TRuth View Post

TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH & NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH!
You should contact some of your previous landlords and ask them how much they pay in taxes on the properties they rent out and compare those rates to property taxes in MS. On the car tags, I actually purchased a tag today for a vehicle with a sticker price of $41,500. The tag was about $650.00. If you are paying $2,500 for a tag, based on the car price, you should be able to easily afford $3,000 a month for your NYC "rents". Think I'd sacrifice the high price car and go back to where I'm happy. Would also save you the headache of those speeding tickets. And at least your aren't paying that NYC income tax here in good old MS, so there are positives after all.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:18 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellygirl67 View Post
My husband and I moved here due to a job transfer in 2000. While visiting, people were very friendly and welcoming, however, once you get here they change! The southern hospitality only extends to VISITORS. Once you live here you are an outcast if coming from outside MS. All of our friends are transplants as well because those who have lived here all their lives have their own cliques and don't know how to reach out. Also, there is an attitude of "have" and "have not" here. Very "old school" attitudes and steeped in tradition. You will feel like you have gone back twenty years if you are from a more progressive area. My husband is a successful executive and we live in a very beautiful custom built home on the lake, however, that does not warrant inclusion. "Your daddy had to know my daddy and his daddy had to know your daddy's daddy" is more important. (i.e. snobby and "who's who" attitude). Our child goes to private school, which is another funny thing. All the supposedly "have's" must have their children in private school. The schools here are not good, even the ones that claim to be good. The best one's are at least a year or two behind other state's "good" school systems. Crime is horrendous in Jackson (even worse than the Bronx in NY) and customer service is horrible as well, since these people don't know the meaning of true hospitality. You will find shopping carts scattered around parking lots rather than returned to the stalls, and people racing you to get to the closest parking space. I was amazed that Madison was ranked one of the 10 best cities for families because I was actually humiliated to have visitors from out of town. Yes, of all the area's around Jackson, Madison and Ridgeland are the nicest, but even here the landscaping and roads are horrific. Pot holes and weeds line the streets. We are nature lovers, but there is only one nature trail around. There isn't much to do around here to be honest. The few nice things about living here are: the tall pine trees, lots of lakes and ponds, and weather in the Spring and Fall. Winters are okay, but summers are humid and unbearable. Sorry if I sound really negative (I'm generally a very positive person!) I just wanted everyone to have a realistic picture of what they are coming into before moving. If you are superficial, steeped in tradition, and from a smaller southern town, you may like it. However, if you want authenticity and true beauty, and from a larger metropolitan area, you will probably want to look elsewhere. Hope this helps anyone thinking of relocating to the Jackson metropolitan area!
oh its the same in NY, PA , west coast. everyone says they are friendly but arent so much once you get there. Ive lived all over the northeast, moving there full time after college in Jackson MS, for grad school and while i loved upstate NY --they were as friendly once you settle t here.
just another disguntled yankee moving to the area and it not being like thier native home--the pot holes and weeds are like that in new england, in Philly, in detroit, in portland or, in seattle, in long island, in new jersey, in boston, in albany, buffalo, cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson