Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:10 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,913 times

Advertisements

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...nt/1057279001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:09 AM

19 posts, read 21,127 times
I think this is great news!

Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
I've been saying this would happen for a long time. Nobody here believed me.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:00 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Could someone link to the story at a venue OTHER THAN the Clarion Ledger?

I clicked (reluctantly) and it instantly filled my computer with garbage.

Or, maybe, someone could just NAME the "development"?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:50 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
You've been saying what exactly? If you lived here, which you don't, you would know that there have been countless developments planned around the city. The key word is planned.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:45 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times
It would be great, but I heard these type plans many times before and most didn't get off the ground.

There is already tons of empty office space, so I don't that being a money maker.

Apartments may work through, I understand the King Edward and Standard Life have high occupancy rates for apartments, but I don't know anyone who rents there. After 5:30, downtown is so dead, I'd be surprised if there is a huge demand.

There is certainly a shortage of restaurants downtown, but knowing a couple of operators who have failed downtown, making money on one meal per day/five times a week is near impossible.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:40 PM

168 posts, read 192,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
What are you talking about? You've been saying what?

Do you know how many MILLIONS have been invested (sunk) into downtown Jackson?

What is so miraculous about this one, and what makes you the "one no one believed" ?

Old 01-25-2018, 02:42 PM

168 posts, read 192,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Could someone link to the story at a venue OTHER THAN the Clarion Ledger?

I clicked (reluctantly) and it instantly filled my computer with garbage.

Or, maybe, someone could just NAME the "development"?
"An out-of-state developer plans to invest up to $10 million in downtown Jackson, hoping to spur the downtown economy, and bring in restaurants and jobs.

Metairie, Louisiana-based businessman Kip Gibert told the Clarion Ledger on Tuesday that he has committed to investing in at least six buildings on the Capitol Street block between Congress and President streets.

After renovating the buildings and making the space more attractive, Gibert plans to open the buildings up for offices, apartments and possibly restaurants and coffee shops."

Just another investor coming in hoping to throw some money at the great "potential" city of Jackson in hopes of earning a few bucks. Nothing we haven't seen time and time again.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:21 PM

19 posts, read 21,127 times
"Just another investor coming in hoping to throw some money at the great "potential" city of Jackson in hopes of earning a few bucks. Nothing we haven't seen time and time again."

You know what? I've spent my life being a cynical bastard. I really have.
But at 54, I'm determined to stop it. It's a self-defeating behavior...

Jackson, for better or worse, is my town now and dammit, I'm going to support it.
And I'm always going to post these articles and I'm always going to say Hell Yeah! (edit- Sammy, sorry - I didn't mean to take credit for this post - I just wanted to say I'm always going to hurrah these types of posts)

I was at the Greater Jackson Chamber lunch the other day and I walked away invigorated and hopeful that the tri-county area can find things they agree upon - AND WORK ON THOSE THINGS to improve Jackson.

DWashington - I'm reaching out to you - can you find it in yourself to help?

Old 01-25-2018, 06:58 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleFaulk View Post
I'm reaching out to you - can you find it in yourself to help?
Meanwhile taxes are high, schools are crap, potholes swallow cars, litter, crime and incompetent leaders are helping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson