Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 11:31 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times

Advertisements

Nothing strikes fear into the hearts of Jacksonians, like SNAKES. That there are alligator swamps and venomous reptile sanctuaries, in Madison and Rankin Counties, must be a constant worry to Jacksonians, who are refusing to work in Jackson's enormous Metrocenter Mall, due to the ongoing Snake Menace there. https://www.wapt.com/article/jackson...ease/44581117#

Last I heard from Socrates Garrett, he was saving Jackson from The Rona, offering elaborate and showy fumigation procedures, to be sure that none of the deadly virus particles (which had already been shown to survive outside the body for a matter of minutes) were going to jump down from ceilings, or up from floors, to infect the unwary. Maybe people decided that the prevention was more risky than the pathogen. Or maybe they'd long-ago concluded that Socrates was full-of-it.

The fumigation scheme must not have been as lucrative as the great man envisioned, since he, as a landlord (if I'm correctly interpreting the linked video), seems unable to maintain his part of the Metrocenter Mall, in a way which (despite his collecting monthly rent exceeding 40k) keeps out snakes, birds, rats, and DEADLY MOLD.

In other parts of the world (Madison and Rankin counties, for example) there are dehumidifiers. Those are apparently nonexistent in Jackson. Maybe dehumidifiers are confiscated by Customs, when you go over the border, into Jackson. When things get humid, people plug them in, and things dry-out - preventing mold problems. If Jackson had dehumidifiers, then maybe they could keep their libraries open, rather than closing and demolishing them due to mold problems.

The "free distilled water" produced by dehumidifiers, is great for washing cars to a fine sparkle, or for pouring into planters filled with dying unwatered plants - you know... like the planters all over Jackson. It's great, too, for laundering your most delicate and precious textiles (being free of chlorine and dissolved particulates). In case anyone cares...

And when they don't have money to fix elaborate air systems (or when repairmen are in short supply), people in Madison and Rankin counties go to places called "stores", where they buy little $150.00 air conditioners, which will plug into regular outlets, and can each (when intelligently-deployed) keep 1500 square feet at a reasonably-bearable temperature. Most people keep one in a closet, for when the main system malfunctions (there was a lot of that, after the recent weather, and Bitsi's Estate Manager had to go to two places to find a little window unit, "Well, Harlan, then you go the Home Depot in PEARL, and you don't go back to Madison, without a damn air conditioner, even if you have to drive all the way to Brandon... or Braxton... or all the way out to pluckin' Pelahatchie to get one: CAPISCE?" Harlan found one, five minutes later, at the Corinthian-style Madison Lowe's on the other side of the Interstate. But I can't imagine Jacksonians looking at TWO places for something. That's waaaaay too much to expect.).

Anyway, the City offices in the Metrocenter, are feared to contain "deadly mold". Assuming that no dehumidifier will ever make its way over the border and into Jackson, there are other remedies. Some people rip-up old carpet, and buff the newly-revealed concrete floors. Madison's beyond-fabulous cast stone Renaissance Revival Kroger (https://www.thebluebook.com/iProView...s-photo-1.html ) has had buffed concrete interior floors from the beginning, as has the city's Ralph Lauren Country Look Airport (THE terminal preferred by Mississippi's Private Jet Set). If it's good enough for them....

So, the "deadly mold" in the Metrocenter carpeting, could receive a work-around, if anybody cared. But nobody cares....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 06:58 PM

Default Who's Worse: BabyChok or Socrates?

Jackson Jambalaya: Socrates Begs for Metrocenter Help

Voce tremolante, a weary Socretes Garrett pleads his case before the Jackson City Council. It seems that Mayor BabyChok still views Socrates as an outsider, and a leftover from a previous junta. So, Socrates joins the long list of people who haven't been paid what they're owed, by "The Most Radical City on the Planet".

We visited the subject of Socrates Garret, four-years-back, when the Siemens Scandal was splashing across the headlines. https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...ly-erupts.html

But notice that in today's long kvetch, Socrates mentions that the failure of the AC system was due to a lack of water pressure, during one winter water crisis. We've already noted that at the very moment when esteemed City Councilman Kenneth Stokes, was holding a press conference about lack of water pressure, the enormous Landmark Center, a few blocks away, had a big broken water pipe, which was being ignored by the city (NOTHING was being done, despite multiple loud alarms, and the building's location, two blocks from the Governor's Mansion): https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...cant-come.html So much water was cascading down stairwells, off atrium balconies, and down the glass facade, that the scene recalled The Sinking of the Titanic (complete with flashing lights and screaming alarms). Surely, this contributed to the lack of water pressure - at the very moment of Kenneth Stokes' press conference.

More recently, we have learned that, also concurrent with that press conference, COLONIAL FALLS was in-full-gush, as it had been, for years (despite the property owner's years of pleading with the city, to fix the broken 48" pipe - which had already dug a giant hole in the property, and caused the failure of THE BRIDGE OVER PURPLE CREEK. https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...al-circle.html That leak made the New York Times: https://www.city-data.com/forum/65050879-post10.html).

But anyway, at the very moment when Councilman Stokes was holding his press conference, and Landmark Center was flooding, and Colonial Falls was washing away The Bridge Over Purple Creek, the lack of water was destroying the Chillers cooling some of The City of Jackson's own offices. The city was sabotaging itself, through its own inaction. Restoring water pressure, would have been as simple as stopping those two enormous and very obvious leaks. But no: now they're having to abandon those offices.

Oh, well, there's no lack of vacant office space, in Jackson, Mississippi. Mayor BabyChok can quote Proust, who used to say to his carriage driver (as he made the rounds of Paris' public toilets - prowling for down-low action), "On, to the next!" (next vacant Jackson building, that is)

Oh, and speaking of Paris and toilets, what's this about a highly-paid Jackson water executive's recent vacation in Paris, during which she heroically (according to Ted Henifin, the person sent down from Yankeeland, to fix Jackson's water woes) actually answered texts from workers in Jackson (proving what a hard worker she is, mais c'est naturel).

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-25-2023 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-28-2023, 08:17 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Just tear it down.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:22 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
I once thought it would be a great site for a new athletic complex with a stadium and an arena. Then put in a light rail from there through the JSU campus to downtown and on to the airport. I think the time frame for that has passed, considering the continuing depopulation of the city.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:27 AM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
Birds, snakes, mold, potholes, and only one way out in the event of a fire!

What happened to the $800 million, or $600 million in grants to address Jackson's deteriorating infrastructure? Wasn't there supposed to be a long-term strategy in place to fix the water nightmare. I thought Mayor Lumumba was working with the EPA to create, over the course of time, to "...increase the overall quality of life for all Jacksonians and neighboring ratepayers."

So, who's worse: BabyChock or Socrates? That's like asking, "Who's worse: Jeffrey Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy?"

California, to the best of my knowledge, has a budget surplus of $55 billion and continues to have the highest illiteracy rate of any state in the U.S. https://legiscan.com/CA/text/SB872/id/2828712 If anyone on this forum understands this please explain it to me.

But, this is not about California. And I can't help but wonder if Mississippi's budget process is as opaque and corrupt as ours. I hope not.

Old 07-30-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Just tear it down.
If the property could be annexed by Clinton (with acquisition of adjacent properties, allowing gates opening almost-directly upon Interstate right-of-way), I could see a use for the building.

Jackson's close to Sea Level, and so you'd only need 5000 runway feet for little jets. I assume the property has that much. (and again, there is abundant adjacent property which could be purchased, for augmentation) And a bit of superstructure could be added to the roof, for helicopters.

Too, there are whisper-quiet planes, now - battery-operated, with multiple swiveling propellers - capable of vertical takeoff. So, heliports could double for planes.

The Scamdemic got a lot of us thinking. We, and fellow residents of our Manhattan building (dubbed by the press, as a "bunker for billionaires" - although that is a lie, since owners in the cheap lower-floor units in the less-prestigious tower section, are frequently worth less than 50MM) started calling our building "Fiddler's Green", after the development in Land of the Dead. Fiddler's Green was supposedly zombie-proof (and included a mall on the lower floors, where life for the privileged few, continued as if zombie hordes were not ravaging the rest of the planet).

Between the reported development of 'Flying Syringes' (mosquitoes which will carry whatever horrors world governing bodies are instructed, by the Ruling Junta, to have them carry - "Vaccines", ostensibly), drones with sinister capabilities, and the net of satellites which will monitor every aspect of every human life on the planet, outdoors will cease to be a good place to be.

A giant, windowless, enclosed space, will become very useful.

With 1,250,000 square feet, Metrocenter could contain 20 oligarch-sized private homes, plus that Center Court.

There would be room inside, for the construction of steel envelopes - proof against EMPs and snooping by satellites. There was an embassy for sale on Fifth Avenue, which had had that feature added to the upper floors. It's still a valid strategy, and a mall's abundant dead-air space would make it a breeze to implement.

Up-top, beyond heliports, you would want collectors for fibre-optic lighting, solar panels, passive solar water heating, roof perimeter defense capabilities (The girls love screaming at the woman singing into amplifiers, in 'World War Z', "Shut up, you stupid -----! The zombies will come over the wall!" And they love the automatic movement-triggered machine guns along the border in, I think, 'Zomblies').

Rather than dig-up the parking lot, one would cover it with compost. I'm thinking the project could absorb the region's entire output of discarded leaves and wood chips - for years. Or, it could be left paved and barren - a buffer zone for the elimination of interlopers. Our granddaughters love zombie movies, and the ones with malls, have got us thinking.

(Not that we're going to do ANY of that. If we were, I wouldn't be telling) There are other malls, in places without life-threatening summers - in case the air went out.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-30-2023 at 09:57 PM..

Old 07-31-2023, 08:24 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post

What happened to the $800 million, or $600 million in grants to address Jackson's deteriorating infrastructure? Wasn't there supposed to be a long-term strategy in place to fix the water nightmare. I thought Mayor Lumumba was working with the EPA to create, over the course of time, to "...increase the overall quality of life for all Jacksonians and neighboring ratepayers."

So, who's worse: BabyChock or Socrates? That's like asking, "Who's worse: Jeffrey Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy?"

California, to the best of my knowledge, has a budget surplus of $55 billion and continues to have the highest illiteracy rate of any state in the U.S. https://legiscan.com/CA/text/SB872/id/2828712 If anyone on this forum understands this please explain it to me.

But, this is not about California. And I can't help but wonder if Mississippi's budget process is as opaque and corrupt as ours. I hope not.
More than likely, that surplus is due to creative accounting.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I once thought it would be a great site for a new athletic complex with a stadium and an arena. Then put in a light rail from there through the JSU campus to downtown and on to the airport. I think the time frame for that has passed, considering the continuing depopulation of the city.
In the late 90s the Airport Parkway was announced, it was to run from JSU to the Airport via High Street (with a new road being built from the termination of High Street to the airport). It never got off the ground. Additionally the "One Lake" project may (if it ever gets off the ground) add another obstacle.

With downtown occupancy now being so low, I do not how much benefit it would add.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Airport_...y_(Mississippi)

Old 08-01-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post

Jackson gets so many 'monies' appropriated from out in Yankeeland, it's impossible to keep up with all those 'monies' and appropriations and grants and things. Acting pitiful pays: and Jackson's leaders are true masters of The Art of Acting Pitiful.

Then, the money disappears, in various ways. Apart from sloppy accounting, there's the hiring of consultants (cronies, and people connected to those cronies) to "study" all sorts of things, the hiring of minority contractors (those connected to the Current Ruling Junta), the issuing of bonds, the hiring of attorneys...

And then, there's the greatest expedient of all: the simple Muddying of the Waters. That's the grand thing about being able to run your mouth, nonstop, without saying anything intelligible, ever. It muddies the waters so fast, an eight-foot Garfish https://www.fieldandstream.com/world...e-mississippi/ could swim-away, clutching in its deadly jaws, a Goyard 55 Bag (https://www.google.com/search?client...h=568&dpr=1.71) crammed with money, without being detected. Nobody can make sense of anything, in a city where nobody has any sense.

Contrary to the myth that "Nazis always kept meticulous records of everything", the concentration camps were sloppily-run. This allowed for the making-away-with, of all those diamonds and gold teeth and Swiss account numbers being stolen from victims. Far from being accidental, this constituted a rewards system. That's the value of muddy waters. Those masterminding the allowing of the development of the situation in Jackson, have studied the Third Reich. Allowing the stealing, not only buys complicity, but also guarantees silence, later-on.

News blackouts are useful, too, so that no investigative journalist starts tallying-up the arriving monies, and then inquires where those monies are... or where they went. ...or who-all has gone on trips to Paris, lately. A friendly media, has been virtually guaranteed, from a distance, by those coordinating the destruction of America's cities. While The New York Times has covered, finally, THE SEVEN YEAR LEAK (of the 48" pipe) which created Colonial Falls (Jackson Jambalaya: See Colonial Falls in NE Jackson), they're not sending any forensic accountants down to Jacktown.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:23 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU View Post
Metro Center was the largest shopping mall in the country when it opened in 1978. My, how times have changed.
I'm pretty positive that King of Prussia Mall-PA held the mantle of being "the biggest mall" from the early '60s until the 1990s.

I know this because I had a relative that lived up there and had a business in the place. Anytime they visited us they told stories about their mall being the biggest one in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson