Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,052 times

Advertisements

We're looking to relocate from the 210 Corridor to somewhere a little further north and east. We no longer have children in the schools and want to be closer to the beach and work.

We are looking in the Hampton Glen, Hampton Park, East Hampton, Highland Glen, Pablo Bay, Osprey Pointe, Timberlin Parc and possibly Deerwood/Deercreek neighborhoods.

But I have some concerns about "fitting in". We moved here from the midwest and I tend toward the "liberal" side. We currently live in a fairly conservative golf course community that is extremely oriented toward families with young children. And I frequently find myself having to keep my opinions to myself.

Are any of these neighborhoods more inclusive? And while we're at it,
are any of them "walkable" to any nearby restaurants, stores, etc.?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM

310 posts, read 868,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingFlorida View Post
But I have some concerns about "fitting in". We moved here from the midwest and I tend toward the "liberal" side. We currently live in a fairly conservative golf course community that is extremely oriented toward families with young children. And I frequently find myself having to keep my opinions to myself.
You're not alone.

Thankfully, there are two other families like us in our neighborhood and we have bonded pretty well. If you'd like some neighborhood suggestions from some more like-minded people, you may wish to visit metrojacksonville.com to ask for some ideas on more diverse neighborhoods.

It's so bad in this area that we cannot put a political sign up or a sticker on the car without being vandalized. Our teens were also targeted at school by history teachers and students during the last presidential election, but thankfully they are secure enough in their beliefs to be more tolerant of others than what was shown to them. We taught them that once a person resorts to ad hominem attacks that there is no room left for debate and to just change the subject or go someplace else.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:28 PM

72 posts, read 464,785 times
I've been in East Hampton for over 6 years. It is a very large community with a variety of people - some with young families to retired couples. There is a lot of diversity in EH & we've found it to be a very friendly neighborhood. We are fairly liberal (& I'm from the Midwest) & we've never had any issues here with our opinions. I wouldn't say we voice our opinions on a regular basis but our friends in the neighborhood do not, either. The majority of friends I have made since moving to Jacksonville have been in this neighborhood & we have a ton of fun when we get together.

Publix/Walgreens is walkable on sidewalks from my house, as well as a few restaurants. We love the location because it is close to everything. We can get to many places in Jacksonville within 20-25 minutes.

The neighborhood is safe, the amenities are nice, & homeowners do a great job of keeping their homes looking nice.

I don't think you can go wrong in this area. Hampton Glen is also a lovely neighborhood.

My mom lives in Deercreek & loves it, but I think you will find a lot of older, conservative folks in there. The association there is also very strict & the security isn't the speediest in the area about getting guests into the community.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 PM

20 posts, read 49,058 times
Thank you for the feedback. We're still looking. We've looked at a home in James Island as well but everything seems so NEW! We are mid=fifties and are actually one liberal & one conservative. Just looking for somewhere we'll feel at home. Not feeling ready for the 55+ communities though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville