Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 AM

93 posts, read 287,468 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me if public funds are used to maintain Ponte Vedra beaches?

I can not find 1 parking spot for public use between PVIC and Micklers landing. There are lots of public access walkways to the beach if you ride your bike or live close enough to walk. If there is no public parking available are they really public beaches?

I pay over $6K a year in Ponte Vedra beach RE taxes and think I deserve as much access to these beaches as someone living within biking distance to theses beaches.

Has this ever come up before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 AM

560 posts, read 2,075,778 times
Yes, this issue has been discussed for years - probably decades. Check the TU archives. No one east of A1A wants to deal with people from Jax parking on the road to walk to the beaches, so they've blocked numerous efforts for parking lots, on street parking, or anything like that. Call around to your local community groups - I'm sure there are still some people working on it.

In the meantime, have you considered guana? Since you want to drive anyway, it will take all of an extra 5 minutes to get there from Ponte Vedra. It's a much better beach area that Ponte Vedra anyway.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:37 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
We just moved to the area and really like Mickler's Beach (I could be spelling that totally wrong). Isn't that Ponte Vedra? We have never had trouble finding parking there. But I've heard that the lot does sometimes get full.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Huh,
OK thanks for the input Joe & Magnolia. I will look into guana (bird poop?) beach and Micklers.

So the old PVB residents take all the state & federal beach replenishment and cleaning dollars they can get but don't want to share the beach with the people that are paying for it?
Sounds like the good ol boy party is strong in these parts. Little bit of Tallahassee on the Ocean huh?
Thanks again for the info.
I'll check into the local groups and see if they need any money or help breaking up this crime against our freedoms.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
I can't recall any public beach projects at Ponte Vedra - like beach renourishment (although that has happened in nearby areas). Like Joe said - this has been an issue out here for years (not for me personally - I live here but am not a beach person). The beach access issue has been litigated - and a majority of the public access points are now open - but there's no legal requirement to provide parking (and the area has in fact restricted parking along PV Blvd. so people can't park there and get access to the beach). In any event - the only part of beaches in Florida that is "public" is the area between the mean low and high tide lines. Anything above the mean high tide line belongs to the property owner there - and is private. Robyn

Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
I don't know if public funds go towards the beach residents and the beach there, but I sure get sick of populism kicking in and people thinking it is unfair that Old PVB is so private. The fact that we have Mickler's, Guana, Jax Beach, Neptune, Atlantic, Hannah Park, All the islands to the north, St. Augie beaches, etc and people still complain about a small 8 mile stretch is beyond me. PVB is what attracts rich businessmen to our town and helps them decide to move here and bring their businesses and tax revenue and hire the rest of us. If we had no "private" beaches we would not be able to compete with the rest of FL.

BTW if you live in PVB in a community like Marsh Landing, Sawgrass, or on Roscoe etc, suck it up and get a membership at the Club or the Lodge, you can probably afford it if it means that much to you. It is definitely worth it if you can afford it. I am sure with the economy, joining fees are lower than they were (and compared to most cities the fee is relatively low for such a nice place). Where they get you is in other costs: you still have to pay outrageous prices for food and drink, to golf I don't think there is a discount for members, the spa, etc.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Agreed. There are plenty of opportunities to go to the beach here if one is so inclined. Also agree about the club memberships. Will cost you a lot less than your skin cancer surgeries (I've lived in Florida since the early 70's - just had my first skin cancer surgery - and it cost about $5k).

BTW - forgot to mention the recent USSC decision about beach renourishment and property rights of waterfront homeowners. You can read it here:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1151.pdf

Doesn't really have much effect in terms of precedent when it comes to future cases/beach renourishment/property rights. Although the decision was 8-0 in favor of the State of Florida - 4 justices voted in favor for one reason - 4 for another reason - and Justice Stevens recused himself because he has an oceanfront condo in Florida .

As for the OP who said he paid $6k in property taxes - well if he has more than 1 kid in public school - he is being subsidized by those of us who don't have kids for his kid's schooling. And even if the people who have oceanfront property have 3 kids - they're subsidizing him too.

Also - OP - I read your old messages - and they indicated that you live in the Players Club section of Sawgrass (west of A1A). Isn't so far from where you live to the beach. And if Sawgrass could get its act together - and allow a gate pass that is ok in both parts of Sawgrass (west and east of A1A) - it would make your bike ride a whole lot shorter. I live in Marsh Landing - and have the gate pass that is ok for Marsh Landing and west Sawgrass. So what's the story with Sawgrass east of A1A? Why do the 2 parts of Sawgrass seem to be on bad terms when it comes to gate access? Robyn

Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Agreed. There are plenty of opportunities to go to the beach here if one is so inclined. Also agree about the club memberships. Will cost you a lot less than your skin cancer surgeries (I've lived in Florida since the early 70's - just had my first skin cancer surgery - and it cost about $5k).

BTW - forgot to mention the recent USSC decision about beach renourishment and property rights of waterfront homeowners. You can read it here:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1151.pdf

Doesn't really have much effect in terms of precedent when it comes to future cases/beach renourishment/property rights. Although the decision was 8-0 in favor of the State of Florida - 4 justices voted in favor for one reason - 4 for another reason - and Justice Stevens recused himself because he has an oceanfront condo in Florida .

As for the OP who said he paid $6k in property taxes - well if he has more than 1 kid in public school - he is being subsidized by those of us who don't have kids for his kid's schooling. And even if the people who have oceanfront property have 3 kids - they're subsidizing him too.

Also - OP - I read your old messages - and they indicated that you live in the Players Club section of Sawgrass (west of A1A). Isn't so far from where you live to the beach. And if Sawgrass could get its act together - and allow a gate pass that is ok in both parts of Sawgrass (west and east of A1A) - it would make your bike ride a whole lot shorter. I live in Marsh Landing - and have the gate pass that is ok for Marsh Landing and west Sawgrass. So what's the story with Sawgrass east of A1A? Why do the 2 parts of Sawgrass seem to be on bad terms when it comes to gate access? Robyn

_
Hi Robyn
Very true regarding the Sawgrass gate. I golf over there now and again and have to obtain a pass every time? go figure? I pay $900 a year to the Sawgrass HOA. Ya think I'd be able to use the roads over there.
No Kids, never had em never wanted em. But pay to send them to school with 2 houses taxes.
Thanks for the notes.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:35 PM

I think Sawgrass Players Club west of A1A and "old" Sawgrass east of A1A have separate master associations - yes? Robyn

Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM

I do think your right. My check is made out to Sawgrass Players club.
This would not entitle me to utilize Sawgrass Country club roads. Wonder if Sawgrass Country Club homeowners are entitled to drive through Players club?

Thanks Robyn.
I'm going to give May managment a call about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville