Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:28 PM

90 posts, read 247,828 times

Advertisements

Hey!!

So I am excited about starting a small theatre group. I am really interested in the area of Riverside. I think this would be a fantastic place to see theatre grow. I am wondering if anyone knows of any spots, in the Riverside area, to start a small theatre. I am thinking black-box-a place I can rent out. Any suggestions would be great. Its in the really early stages. I was about to ask on Craigslist but that place is not a place to ask...when I thought of asking on here. I am not a snob so even a small place would be great and that's actually what I need. It doesn't even need to be a "theatre" but a place you might think would be an ideal location... If you have an ideas..please feel free to suggest it to me. I am not so familar with the area like many of you. I am heading there tomorrow and going to look around. I need to find a place first and then I will begin the search for the performers.

So thanks for you time
When all is up and running..I will let you guys know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 04:40 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley99 View Post
Hey!!

So I am excited about starting a small theatre group. I am really interested in the area of Riverside. I think this would be a fantastic place to see theatre grow. I am wondering if anyone knows of any spots, in the Riverside area, to start a small theatre. I am thinking black-box-a place I can rent out. Any suggestions would be great. Its in the really early stages. I was about to ask on Craigslist but that place is not a place to ask...when I thought of asking on here. I am not a snob so even a small place would be great and that's actually what I need. It doesn't even need to be a "theatre" but a place you might think would be an ideal location... If you have an ideas..please feel free to suggest it to me. I am not so familar with the area like many of you. I am heading there tomorrow and going to look around. I need to find a place first and then I will begin the search for the performers.

So thanks for you time
When all is up and running..I will let you guys know.
I would suggest Springfield as a place to set up over Riverside. There are many Uptowners that seem to be into the theater & acting. You should also post on MetroJacksonville.com, its a lot more busy on that site. Again the Uptowners in Springfield is who you may want to mingle with.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Aww thank you sooo much. This helps me a lot.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:56 PM

238 posts, read 888,285 times
Last year, I remember you started a thread here pretty much trashing Jacksonville, saying you "had to flee Jacksonville", said you hated it here and called it "snoozeville". You're back? Okay so to answer your question, there is a lot of vacancy in downtown and there could be lots of opportunity to start a theatre co-op company there. The arts community is growing there and this could be a welcome addition.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
If you're not a member of Theatre Alliance of Greater Jacksonville, sign up.

Theatre Alliance of Greater Jacksonville - Serving our professional, community and educational theatre communities

Any questions you have or suggestions you seek can be well-answered by fellow thespians.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyinJAX View Post
Last year, I remember you started a thread here pretty much trashing Jacksonville, saying you "had to flee Jacksonville", said you hated it here and called it "snoozeville". You're back? Okay so to answer your question, there is a lot of vacancy in downtown and there could be lots of opportunity to start a theatre co-op company there. The arts community is growing there and this could be a welcome addition.
Naw, don't want anything you have to offer. Yes, when I was in the area there was nothing in theatre and trust me, I was really involved in theatre. So I am going to start something. Plus, it's my option and I can state it.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Just a heads up(to make a response to Holly's comment about me calling Jax a "snoozeville)-last year I lost my job,a friend and hit the bottom in Jax. It's people like Holly, who likes to remind me (and really creepy they know of a post I put up a year ago-jesus) I was in Riverside and trying to get involved in theatre (trying to improve a bad situation and make it better) there was nothing-zero. At the end of the summer, after getting laidoff, I lost my apartment and had to leave (broke and so sad) It's been a year and things improved. I am trying to get something off the ground-get people, maybe who were me a year ago, and try to start something up. So thank you Holly-it's the little troll comments that make you realize how grateful you are that you don't need to make another human feel bad. I hope anyone who hits rock bottom out there-knows that things do get better!! Also, if someone doesn't like a city or whatever..it's their right to express it. I am all for an "open conversation"

Old 10-29-2010, 03:25 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyinJAX View Post
Water the seeds man! Water the seeds...she trying to plant something. Sounds like a cool idea to me. I still say Springfield is where she should start the journey.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:12 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,282,878 times
jenniferashley,

I agree, both Riverside and Springfield are ideal places to open a new theater group. San Marco & the Beaches, also good locations, already have established groups.

Historic Riverside has a greater concentration of art/theater/culture right now, and the orgainization that could help you out would be RAP : 904-389-2449

Historic Springfield is developing into another Riverside-type neighborhood, and has sort of the same vibe, just not nearly as concentrated/developed yet. Contact SPAR for infor about this area, and ask for Brenda or Jeremy. They have a lot of info about vacant buildings, rent, other possibilities, etc. 904-353-7727. (plus you can find extremely cheap rent, which ain't bad either....)

Sounds like you already know Riverside, but here's another neighborhood website, feel free to ask questions and explore: www.myspringfield.org

Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley99 View Post
Just a heads up(to make a response to Holly's comment about me calling Jax a "snoozeville)-last year I lost my job,a friend and hit the bottom in Jax. It's people like Holly, who likes to remind me (and really creepy they know of a post I put up a year ago-jesus) I was in Riverside and trying to get involved in theatre (trying to improve a bad situation and make it better) there was nothing-zero. At the end of the summer, after getting laidoff, I lost my apartment and had to leave (broke and so sad) It's been a year and things improved. I am trying to get something off the ground-get people, maybe who were me a year ago, and try to start something up. So thank you Holly-it's the little troll comments that make you realize how grateful you are that you don't need to make another human feel bad. I hope anyone who hits rock bottom out there-knows that things do get better!! Also, if someone doesn't like a city or whatever..it's their right to express it. I am all for an "open conversation"
Troll? Seems to me Holly was trying to be helpful. btw, you had every right to say what you felt, and Holly has every right to point out what you said. If I'm not mistaken, snoozeville was one of the nicer comments you originally made, lol. Sorry to hear about the tough time you were having.

Anyway, good luck and welcome back! I really hope you can find a good spot to launch this. There are workshops and companies in Downtown, San Marco, Atlantic Beach, Jax Beach...Riverside might be the perfect place for another one. Then again, I don't know very much about the scene so the most I can offer are best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville