Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,130 times

Advertisements

Looking for any advice you may have. What should we know about Jacksonville or areas around Jacksonville? We have school age children. Trying to get as much info as possible. We have never been to Jacksonville FL, we thank all of you so much in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,130 times
We will be looking to rent a home.
Looking for a Christian Church.
Elementary School children.
We are being re-located for my husbands job.
Thank you so much again!!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,898,958 times
Best wishes for your upcoming move. In 1997, I moved from Livonia, MI to St. Augustine, FL which is 35 miles south of Jacksonville's southside neighborhoods. We love living in N.E. Florida. In what area of Jacksonville will your husband be working? There are many very good Christian Churches (both large and small) in the Jacksonville area. St. Johns County, which is south of Jacksonville, has an excellent school system. The house rental market is very tight right now due to so many people flooding the rental market as tenants due to foreclosures. If you have dogs in your household, finding a rental could be difficult.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,994,201 times
There are many good schools, churches, house rentals in the Jacksonville area, but because Jax is so huge (land-wise), ssclulow's question of where your husband will be working is the first question to ask.

We also enjoy living in NE Florida (northern transplants). People are quite friendly, there's a lot to do here, and certainly the weather is more tolerable than Michigan's.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM

432 posts, read 1,310,343 times
Fellow Michigander here. I grew up in West Bloomfield outside of Detroit. I do NOT miss Michigan winters at all.......

Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM

18 posts, read 104,610 times
The only area in Jacksonville (Duval County) I would recommend for public school is the Mandarin area (zip 32257/32258) There are churchers everywhere of all size and denominations, it's just a matter of "shopping" around to find the best fit for you. I have several friends who have moved down from MI and love it here. St. Johns county does have the better option for public schools, but if you or your husband are working in Jacksonville, it would probably be a bit of drive(with traffic at least 45min. each way). Southside(zip 32246/32216) have many nice neighborhoods, but I would have to suggest looking into private schools, there are plenty of private christian schools in the area! Finding a place to rent or buy won't be a problem! Check craigslist.com and jacksonville.com in the classified section. Anything under $900 for 2-3 bedroom is probably in a not so nice area

Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,102,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensentmeboys View Post
Looking for any advice you may have. What should we know about Jacksonville or areas around Jacksonville? We have school age children. Trying to get as much info as possible. We have never been to Jacksonville FL, we thank all of you so much in advance!!!
I must ask...why are you moving somewhere sight unseen? Do you have employment already lined up? This doesn't make any sense.

The one piece of advice I can give, aside from what I stated above, is to NOT come to Jax looking for anything resembling MI, or comment on how things are done here vs. back home.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:42 PM

28 posts, read 69,908 times
Bring your winter jackets .... It doesn't get super cold down here, but it does get cold in the winter.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
I must ask...why are you moving somewhere sight unseen? Do you have employment already lined up? This doesn't make any sense.

The one piece of advice I can give, aside from what I stated above, is to NOT come to Jax looking for anything resembling MI, or comment on how things are done here vs. back home.
OP said:

"We are being re-located for my husbands job."

Robyn

Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 AM

870 posts, read 2,181,226 times
Sell or give your snow shovels away before moving here.
But, keep the winter coats. I have one wool pea coat and one wool dress coat that gets worn more than once a year.

Someone has already mentioned the Mandarin area. The beaches have decent schools also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville