Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:49 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times

Advertisements

Sure, I'll question it. I'm curious too! It wouldn't bother me if I lived there but I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 04:01 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalo View Post
I'm not talking about fireworks. I'm talking about no activity whatsoever.
Have you actually been there on the 4th of July? Or are you just posting hearsay comments?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
I would think that if a person wanted to celebrate an occasion, they would take it upon themselves to celebrate rather than expecting someone else to supply the celebration.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I would think that if a person wanted to celebrate an occasion, they would take it upon themselves to celebrate rather than expecting someone else to supply the celebration.
Exactly!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
I don't know what kind of celebration anyone is expecting anywhere. A BBQ (don't know if QH hosted one - its website only lists events in the future - not in the past - Deerwood did - TPC didn't)? Almost all fireworks are illegal everywhere in Florida. They're banned in my HOA. We put out our flag - which we always do on "flag holidays". Robyn

Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM

410 posts, read 362,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
It's nice, if your looking for an ultra-suburbish area.

I wouldn't call it an great place for families, but I suspect others do.
(I wouldn't because it's not particularly close to anything you can enjoiy with a family).

No, it's not close to everything. It's close to strip malls.

The traffic just depends on the time of day. Rush hours it's terrible, non-rush hours it's busy, but not bad.

It's "desirable" because someone put a gate around big, new houses (though not so new anymore) and made it an HOA.

Some people love those kinds of things, but not my cup of tea.
I realize this post is 3 years old, but I have to respond anyway. For many families there is far more to enjoy living in Queens Harbor than living in most parts of Avondale/Riverside, San Marco, downtown area, etc....

If you live in queen's harbor there is a large marina(my understanding is many of the residents who can afford it have boats there). There is also golf, which many families with older kids participate in(again if have the money). Now I realize that there are families in say Riverside who also do these things, but being right on the golf course makes it a bit more likely...

Furthermore, the ultimate family activity in this area is probably going to the beach, and living in queen's harbor you are closer to the beach than living in those places.

You're idea of what a family activity/fun is differs greatly from what most actual families think of fun activities with their family. They don't think of frou-frou 'art on the rocks' type bull****(or whatever similar things you have in jacksonville) as family fun activities. Families want to go to the beach, play golf, participate in sports leagues, etc......not go to silly wannabe festivals with a bunch of loitering going on.

Same with food and drink....I hate to break this to you but for most families the idea of a great family experience isn't taking their whole family to kickbacks and drinking beer in a crowded loud place or taking the family out to eat at Black Sheep either. Those aren't really family things.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
I realize this post is 3 years old, but I have to respond anyway. For many families there is far more to enjoy living in Queens Harbor than living in most parts of Avondale/Riverside, San Marco, downtown area, etc....

If you live in queen's harbor there is a large marina(my understanding is many of the residents who can afford it have boats there). There is also golf, which many families with older kids participate in(again if have the money). Now I realize that there are families in say Riverside who also do these things, but being right on the golf course makes it a bit more likely...

Furthermore, the ultimate family activity in this area is probably going to the beach, and living in queen's harbor you are closer to the beach than living in those places.

You're idea of what a family activity/fun is differs greatly from what most actual families think of fun activities with their family. They don't think of frou-frou 'art on the rocks' type bull****(or whatever similar things you have in jacksonville) as family fun activities. Families want to go to the beach, play golf, participate in sports leagues, etc......not go to silly wannabe festivals with a bunch of loitering going on.

Same with food and drink....I hate to break this to you but for most families the idea of a great family experience isn't taking their whole family to kickbacks and drinking beer in a crowded loud place or taking the family out to eat at Black Sheep either. Those aren't really family things.
My husband and I of course have families. But here in JAX - it's pretty much us (late 60's) and my 95 year old father. What you say doesn't only apply to younger people.

Our regular activities here now are golf (used to be tennis also when we were younger). Some dining and shopping as well (such as it exists - it's getting better but still isn't great overall - you mentioned Black Sheep - we had one excellent and one very mediocre meal there). Going to the gym (local Y). My husband used to be a runner/bike rider but isn't now as a result of health issues (MS).

We sometimes go to various exhibits at local museums - some are ok ---> good. But you can't drag my husband to something like the Riverside Arts Market (and I am at best luke warm about it - I like Rodeo Drive better ). I mean - what's there? A lot of cheap garbage for sale under an interstate highway bridge? Not very amusing. There is no local produce you're going to write home about (none of the tomatoes was local last time I looked).

We have car - will travel. But not for mediocre or worse nonsense. Robyn

Old 07-11-2014, 09:23 PM

410 posts, read 362,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My husband and I of course have families. But here in JAX - it's pretty much us (late 60's) and my 95 year old father. What you say doesn't only apply to younger people.

Our regular activities here now are golf (used to be tennis also when we were younger). Some dining and shopping as well (such as it exists - it's getting better but still isn't great overall - you mentioned Black Sheep - we had one excellent and one very mediocre meal there). Going to the gym (local Y). My husband used to be a runner/bike rider but isn't now as a result of health issues (MS).

We sometimes go to various exhibits at local museums - some are ok ---> good. But you can't drag my husband to something like the Riverside Arts Market (and I am at best luke warm about it - I like Rodeo Drive better ). I mean - what's there? A lot of cheap garbage for sale under an interstate highway bridge? Not very amusing. There is no local produce you're going to write home about (none of the tomatoes was local last time I looked).

We have car - will travel. But not for mediocre or worse nonsense. Robyn
I think the mediocre or worse nonsense part is the key.....the reality is that the 'core neighborhoods'(whatever that means) of Jacksonville aren't very interesting. And there is nothing wrong with that- they are what they are.

If Jacksonville had an area like Vahighland in Atlanta(to pick another neighborhood in the se), well then there may be some advantage in terms of proximity, cool happenings, culture, etc.....but that's not what Jacksonville is. The 'stuff to do' part of Jacksonville for most people(who are past throwing back shots) is most definitely not anywhere close to downtown.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:53 AM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times
Whenever you move into a gated community you can make a fine life for yourself whichever one you choose. There is nothing around Deerwood either but a pathetic looking Walgreens on the corner and no restaurants. We've lived her 20 years and love it. All the amenities are inside the gate. If I want to go somewhere I drive to Avenues, The Town Center, or the beach. Need a movie? - drive to Tinsel Town. Dinner theatre - drive to Alhambra. Anything else - trip to downtown. That could be said for any neighborhood on this side of town. You're not too far from anything. Too hot to walk anywhere anyway. Someone said this is an old post so this is just for the record -and because my paper man must sleep in on Saturdays. By the time he brings my paper I will have read most of today's news online.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:16 AM

We've been playing most of our golf at Deerwood recently as a result of the TPC renovations. And I would hardly say it's in the middle of nowhere. As you point out - it's a few minutes of driving to tons of stuff. We almost always combine our golf with running a few errands in the area.

BTW - the golf course is fine - and the staff at the club is extremely friendly/pleasant. The food is pretty good too. Except the portions are usually so big that we can only eat half of what we're served! The 4th of July festivities at the club looked like they were a lot of fun (although - as non-members - we couldn't attend). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville