Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM

77 posts, read 234,962 times

Advertisements

There is a much friendlier and less judgmental forum on city data. I go here when homesickness takes over: General Moving Issues

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

I appreciate anybody, regardless of opinion, who takes the time to compose a coherent argument with proper grammar and punctuation. Please post again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatUndercoverBrother View Post
If you are thinking about moving to Jacksonville, FL, make sure you visit the place, and you stay here a week before making a decision, if I would've, I wouldn't have moved here, needless to say I'm looking for out of state jobs, and will be leaving ASAP!!!

1. People here will tell you this is one of US biggest cities, yada yada yada, yes, and no. It's only one of the biggest ones because the county is the city. Duval County = Jacksonville. That being the case, the county is divided into several different suburbs. Money being stretched out thin, every suburb pretty much has a ghetto section. One street can take you from the 'burbs to the 'hood, don't go apartment hunting until you see the area. The apartment guides will show you nice pictures of Spanish moss covered trees and everglades, hellloooo that's FL, don't count on the area being a golf course. It might just be the parking lot of a ghetto-ish street.

2. So imagine that this money is spread out thin, throughout the county/city, so no one neighborhood is 100% safe. Now only 1 place has a big mall in the county, the one everyone goes to. The one with all the stores you may find in other malls throughout America. Imagine this mall on the weekends. It's a parking lot.

3. If you are familiarized with: Robecks, Trader Joes, Bally's Total Fitness, write them off, they are not here. Also, if you are used to funky coffee shops that offer great healthy meals, where you can just chill, use wi-fi and maybe listen to a live local band, you wont find that here. As of 2011 the best Wi-Fi coffee shop is Starbucks. The fact that a franchise is the best hang out coffee shop just tells you the lack of character this place has. Another WiFi winner: Panera Bread.

4. Lack of character: Open a JC Penny ad and the people you see there, are the people here. Very vanilla place. Nothing really stands out. People aren't the brightest either. If you are used to an intellectual, environment full of funky options, this is not it. If you just want to go to the gym, tan, look good and do nothing really, this is it.

5. Also, there are churches everywhere. Social events occur in churches or are coordinated/administered by churches!! So, imagine the societal filter here! Also, you'd think that with so many churches you'd have less poor people in the area, you know, feed the hungry, clothe the poor. Not here. Churches are like social clubs, if you are not a church goer, and you do not have friends or family members here, it will be very hard for you to meet friends, unless you are here for colleges, which FYI UNF is probably the most incompetent university here, (paperwork loss, system down, etc.) and it is considered "the better one." You're better off giving your money to some other school in another state.

6. If you think of urban sprawl, this is it. This is as sprawled as it gets. The better neighborhoods are Riverside, Avondale, San Marco and the Beaches. Nonetheless, from Jacksonville Beach to 95N/S it's a good 15 minute drive or more dpeending on traffic. That just tells you how buried the place is. Riverside, again, from ghetto to hood in 1 block.

7.Suburbia. If the devil where to vomit suburbia, it would be Southside and Orange Park. It's a hellish suburbia nest off of 95N/S. 9N/S. If cookie cuttered homes in a flat piece of land with everglades as a backdrop your thing, this is your place.

7. Summers are hot and humid. Beach water is nice but there are no palm trees/shade at the beach, so prepare to bake under the sun. Also, prepare yourselves for plenty of knats and biiig cockroaches.

8.Drivers are crazy here. You have senior citizens texting or on the phone while driving, slow drivers on the fast lane, fast drivers tailgaiting you when you are already 10mph above speed limit, people who change lanes w/o signal light, or the crazy ones that prefer to reduce speed to almost 20 or 30 in the hwy so they wont miss an exit. Rule of thumb: You have to be a defensive driver and leave plenty of space between you and others because you don't know what these people may end up doing.

** Also, for some reason people here make a proverbial pause after the light turns green. I've been to other cities/states where people book it at the green light, not here. They just sit there for 5-sometimes 10 seconds, doing God knows what.**

Plates: If you've never lived here before, prepare to pay 500 dollars to get your FL plates. Also if you drive 10mph over speed limit, you are likely to get a ticket if stopped. its over 200 dollars ticket.

This place is for:
Conservative religious people, people who already have family and friends here, People who prefer hot humid summers as opposed to cold/snowy winters, mainstream people who only care about shopping, dining, surfing, fishing, hunting, dirt back riding, People who do not care about cultural events, and can live without them. People who have no interest in furthering their education through a better school system.
Well......that's why the Riverside & Avondale historic district, San Marco, and Springfield historic district are becoming so popular.

They aren't like the rest of Jacksonville, and are the polar opposite of much (not all) that you described.

Move there. : )

Riverside Avondale Preservation
www.mysanmarco.com
The Historic Springfield Jacksonville Neighborhood Resource

Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
I moved here for work related reasons. The thing is I was interviewed and hired the same day, so I didn't really have a chance to check it out. Plus all the little stuff I mentioned are the kind of stuff you learn experiencing the place, as opposed to just "checking it out."
You mean you had no idea it gets hot here in FL!??

What beaches have you been to which have palm trees all over the place for shade (on the beach)!!??

You never heard things in the South are slower than other places in the US!!??

You had no idea how religious people are in the South!!??

I mean, come on...

Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post

What beaches have you been to which have palm trees all over the place for shade (on the beach)!!??

I mean, come on...
LOL... Exactly!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
Actually I think drivers in Jacksonville are slow and stupid on average. Most people in Jacksonville, religious and conservative as they are (we actually have a black democrat mayor, hmm wonder how he got elected) are from up north somewhere, but they forgot what driving was like in a much bigger city and so driving in Jacksonville is probably atune to a driving vacation for them.

Ever tried driving in Chicago, Atlanta, or DC? You'll get squashed if you aren't an "offensive" driver so enjoy the defensive driving while you have it.

I do agree with most of your rant, though some of it does seem like obvious common sense. You won't find any hustle and bustle in Jacksonville, but you can find more intellectual/enlightened culture in some areas like Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, and Springfield. These neighborhoods also boast coffee shops. I think 5 Points alone has 2 coffee shops that provide live music, though I don't know if they provide wi-fi. There are other coffee shops that don't provide music, but that provide wi-fi.

And for goodness sake, there's a Starbucks on every corner in New York. You can't escape Starbucks anywhere.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM

65 posts, read 180,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post

I mean, come on...
People who have never experienced this heat/humidity are just as impressed with it as people who have never experienced, KEYWORD:EXPRIENCED a snow storm in the snow belt. One thing is to say "oh yeah it gets hot down there," to experience the equivalent of opening your oven door while you've been baking at 450F for an hour, when you open your car door or house door. But anyhow that's part of the weather here, I mentioned it because a lot of people don't UNDERSTAND that, as rightfully so I didn't because I had never lived or EXPERIENCED the South.

2. Some Carribean beaches actually have palm trees for shade.

3. No, had no idea how religious people are in the South, because, again, I had NEVER lived or EXPERIENCED the South.

4. And yes, I've driven in NYC and DC and I can tell the difference driving, and honestly, I prefer the faster pace.

*** My point about this blog is 1. You don't know a place till you exprience it and 2. This place just isn't for anyone, and it's okay, there are 49 other states that offer plenty of options, I'm sure people are ranting about them as well. Jax is just not everyone's cup of tea. ****

Old 06-23-2011, 08:14 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
I take a few seconds too because I've also seen many people really run a red light here. If I cause you to be 5 seconds later to your destination, my bad.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:23 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
I love the Jacksonville area.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
People who have never experienced this heat/humidity are just as impressed with it as people who have never experienced, KEYWORD:EXPRIENCED a snow storm in the snow belt. One thing is to say "oh yeah it gets hot down there," to experience the equivalent of opening your oven door while you've been baking at 450F for an hour, when you open your car door or house door. But anyhow that's part of the weather here, I mentioned it because a lot of people don't UNDERSTAND that, as rightfully so I didn't because I had never lived or EXPERIENCED the South.

2. Some Carribean beaches actually have palm trees for shade.

3. No, had no idea how religious people are in the South, because, again, I had NEVER lived or EXPERIENCED the South.

4. And yes, I've driven in NYC and DC and I can tell the difference driving, and honestly, I prefer the faster pace.

*** My point about this blog is 1. You don't know a place till you exprience it and 2. This place just isn't for anyone, and it's okay, there are 49 other states that offer plenty of options, I'm sure people are ranting about them as well. Jax is just not everyone's cup of tea. ****
Good luck. If you don't get another job, give Jax a chance. We are a metro area of 1.3 million. Miami is 5 million, Atlanta 4 million, NYC is 18 million of course there will not be as much going on here.

I grew up in New Jersey close to both NYC and Philadelphia. NYC is unlike anywhere else, it is one of the worlds largest cities and a center for media and entertainment. Jacksonville has a lot less "culture" but it is much more accessible. While you are here try and find something you enjoy.

Those Palm Trees on Carribean the beach are probably planted. ( There are some beaches in NJ w/ planted palms) And most beaches do not have trees because of the salt air and wave action. Bring an umbrella to the beach

There are lots of religious people here. And its the evangelical/praise and worship/megachurgh for the most part. Many of them are very nice yeah you have the "churrchh" FBC judgemental types but you have that with any group. But there are plenty of people who are not especially religious Just like if you moved to Salt Lake City you would be overwhelmed by Mormons.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
I still haven't found these people who will shun you if you aren't an evangical. Where are they? do they just not live in the suburbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville