Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 PM

43 posts, read 115,284 times

Advertisements

We are very seriously considering moving here within the next month or so and decided to visit before making any definite decisions. Where should we go to check out the night life? We also are going to be looking at different apartments/homes for rent within the $600-900 range (not including utilities). Also, What neighborhoods should we check out? We want a place central or close to UNF and downtown. Any areas to avoid? Whats the best beach area? Only here for the weekend so we have to do a lot in a small amount of time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Anyone with housing please feel free to post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowYourDreams View Post
We are very seriously considering moving here within the next month or so and decided to visit before making any definite decisions. Where should we go to check out the night life? We also are going to be looking at different apartments/homes for rent within the $600-900 range (not including utilities). Also, What neighborhoods should we check out? We want a place central or close to UNF and downtown. Any areas to avoid? Whats the best beach area? Only here for the weekend so we have to do a lot in a small amount of time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Anyone with housing please feel free to post!
This weekend? WOW...its like Friday now... good warning..LOL... Well if I were looking for nightlife and an affordable nice area to live convenient to Downtown and UNF, I would strongly consider Riverside or San Marco but more Riverside as it has more amenities and nightlife. There's a lot of places for rent in Riverside most easily found by driving around or looking on craigslist. UNF is no more than 20-30 minutes away mostly on expressways. Best beach area is Atlantic beach followed by Neptune beach. Affordable is another question though, I'm not sure as I dont live out that way. Good luck with your search and possible move.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 PM

I know, not much warning LOL! It was somewhat last minute. I guess the area is not as big of a deal as long as I can get to UNF in around 15mins as well as downtown and the area isn't sketchy. We will look at Riverside, though we haven't found a whole lot on craigslist that stood out (so much spam!)

Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 PM

OK lets try again ..heres a couple I found that are in good areas. Any questions feel free to ask but it will probably be later in the morning before I get back here I just took one of my pain meds so I'm going down for the count

$895 / 2br - Beautiful Upstairs Renovated Apt
$700 / 1br - Beautiful 1/1 with lots of upgrades in excellent location!
$650 / 1br - Beautiful 1/1 directly on the park with wood floors and shared w/d
$700 / 1br - Huge 1/1 with amazing upgrades in Riverside CLOSETS GALORE
$675 / 1br - Apartment for rent in 5 points

Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 PM

OK 1 more this is a great place my absolute favorite its a little above your price range but in my opinion well worth it... $1195 / 1br - Chelsea Lofts - Riverside/5 Points

Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,884,639 times
Go to Atlantic Beach. Best beach in the Jax area (imo).

Drive down to St. Augustine (short drive). Take A1A down. Gorgeous drive. Walk around Old Town.

Drive up to Amelia Island (again, short drive). Gorgeous there as well.

To me, the beaches here in the Jacksonville area are probably our best attribute. Plenty of nice places to eat, etc. I don't know much about the nightlife as we have two kids (8 and 5) so we don't get to experience it all that much.

Have fun!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 AM

Great I will check those out. I love the first one! And we will definitely check out those areas as well. As far as the beach goes, as long as there is one, I'm happy Still need ideas on where to go out tonight though and if anyone knows of any more apartments or homes for rent please share.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Tonight.... If you like BBQ and Blues check out the Mojo Kitchen 1500 Beach Blvd. Jacksonville Beach, Florida 32250 ...
Mojo Kitchen - BBQ Pit and Blues Bar

another apt link ... $825 / 2br - 3219oak GREAT biking/ walking neighborhood!! Cats ok!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
You can pretty much look in Riverside & Avondale historic district and San Marco, and call it a day.

You don't need to look anywhere else. Craigslist is good, as well as www.traditionsjax.com. They're about 20 minutes from UNF and 5 from Downtown. Some people actually consider them part of Downtown, but really they're not.

Since you're here for the weekend a MUST DO is the Riverside Arts Market www.riversideartsmarket.com which is held every Saturday from 10am to 4pm.

Also, there's no need to go out of the historic district for Mojo's BBQ, either. Mojo's BBQ No. 4 (that's the name) just opened a month or so ago in Avondale:
Mojo Number 4 - BBQ and Whiskey Bar

As for nigthlife, check out Downtown on E. Bay Street.

Marks, The Ivy, Dive Bar, TSI are next to eachother with Dos Gatos (probably ther best bar/lounge in Jacksonville), Burro Bar, Buritto Gallery (hidden bar in a restaurant) & Lit just around the corner. Lots of fun, no car needed.

The Ivy Ultra Bar - Jacksonville, FL
Marks Downtown - Jacksonville Nightclub - Home
The Dive Bar - Jacksonvile Downtown Nightclub
Club TSI
Burrito Gallery -21 East Adams St - Downtown Jacksonville
The Burro Bar (Prolly Is Not Probably)
Dos Gatos - Jacksonville's Swank Downtown Neighborhood Lounge
Lit Downtown

There's a few other hot spots too in downtown (Mavericks, City Hall Pub, The Sinclair, Cafe331) but they aren't in walking distance.

If you want to stay in Riverside & Avondale historic distirct, check out the Post & King area (intersection of Post St & King St). Kickbacks, The Loft, Rouge, and Walkers are all next to eachother there.

Kickbacks Gastropub - Restaurant/Cafe - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook
Walkers | Jacksonville
the LOFT - Jacksonville, FL
The Rogue - Jacksonville, FL

There's also O'Brothers Irish Pub, Lomax Lodge, Orsay (restaurant with great bar/lounge), & The Brick (restaurant with decent bar & live music) with in the neighborhood too.

Also, you won't find a more interesting mix of nightlife than in the Springfield historic district, just North of Downtown. The Pearl, Deja Vu, Three Layers, and Shanty Town are 4 totally different venues all about 1/2 mile away from eachother.

Déjà Vu - Deja Vu Art and Wine Bar (http://www.dejavuartbar.com/ - broken link)
The Pearl - Club - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook
Ian Ranne (Shantytown) on Myspace
The Cellar at Three Layers on Three Layers a Coffee House

As for the best beach, Atlantic Beach & Neptune Beach are my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville