Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:17 PM

12 posts, read 25,842 times

Advertisements

I have seen some people having addressed this, but the threads look like they are a few years old.

What as of 2011 are safer areas of Jacksonville to live in? The office for the job I am inquiring about is near Deerfield? Is that a safe area to live?

How long is that from downtown/the beach?

I know with the heat/humidity comes bugs, but exactly how bad is the bug/roach problem?

Here in Charlotte there are bugs but not like what people have described in FL.

If I go to visit for a long weekend to check it out, what areas should I visit to look at apartments?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
You probably have to be more specific on you future job location. There's
a Deerwood in Jacksonville very safe
a Deer Creek in Jacksonville very safe
a Deer Run in Clay county fairly safe
a Deerfield Lakes in Nasau county fairly safe
a Deerfield Apartments over by I-10 and Lane Ave not so safe
a Deerfield Beach in Broward county I have no idea how safe it is (as its like 275 miles South of here)

Deerwood and Deer Creek are both gated golf course communities on Southside Blvd on the Southside of Jacksonville.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM

Sorry about that--I pulled up a map.

There are one of two offices (not sure which one I would be in), both show to be about 10 min apart from each other--per mapquest, both are near the main crossover of Butler Blvd and Southside Blvd (of course that may not be a big help description wise). It looks as if you can take Gate Parkway North to get from one to the other. I think seeing Deerwood Park Blvd threw me off w/ the first comment I had on here.
Looking at a map neither appear to be far west from St. Johns Town Center if that helps w/ the descrip of the area?
The area north of these 2 offices says Azalea Terrace and south of the offices says South Side.

Are these areas safe and also good for singles in their 30s? I heard the Riverside area the best area to live and socialize if you are single? That might be a far commute to live if I were at one of these 2 offices.

Thanks again

Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaFL View Post

There are one of two offices (not sure which one I would be in), both show to be about 10 min apart from each other--per mapquest, both are near the main crossover of Butler Blvd and Southside Blvd (of course that may not be a big help description wise). It looks as if you can take Gate Parkway North to get from one to the other. I think seeing Deerwood Park Blvd threw me off w/ the first comment I had on here.
Looking at a map neither appear to be far west from St. Johns Town Center if that helps w/ the descrip of the area?
The area north of these 2 offices says Azalea Terrace and south of the offices says South Side.

Are these areas safe and also good for singles in their 30s? I heard the Riverside area the best area to live and socialize if you are single? That might be a far commute to live if I were at one of these 2 offices.

Thanks again
That area would be near The Deerwood Golf and Country Club, which is just South of JTB. The area is considered one of the safer areas of Jax. There are several apartment complexes and condo units for rent behind the Tinseltown Mall area and just before the Town Center Mall area.(On Touchton Rd. and Gate Pkwy) As for Riverside I would consider it one of the best areas to live if your young and single along with the San Marco area and the Beaches area all 3 of those areas are considered fairly safe and much better than the Northside inner city area or the Westside inner city area. Riverside is very walkable, and loaded with good restaurants and clubs. San Marco is loaded with good restaurants and clubs but not so walkable only because there is no major grocery store nearby. And the Beaches areas (Atlantic Beach and Neptune Beach are loaded with good restaurants and clubs and fairly walkable. With Jax Beach bringing up the rear only because IMO it is just a touch less safe than the other 2 but loaded with good restaurants and clubs, and fairly walkable. If I were young (I wish...LOL)and single I would probably choose the beaches only because I'm an Aquarius and I do love the water. Hope this helps some.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,168 times
What about place for a 38 yr. old single mom with 3 school aged kids?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:

Thanks again
I think madcap gave you a good rundown. Riverside and Avondale have some real nice areas to live, and also real crappy. So just be aware, the safety factor varies from block to block. San Marco is also pretty cool but a little less exciting and no grocery store. Those are both old historic neighborhoods. Tinseltown/Town Center area is very new, mostly suburban, but has alot of nightlife and young people. The high end shopping in Jax is primarily at the Town Center. And the other option would be the beach. Lots to choose from there...relatively laidback quite areas (Atlantic and Fernandina Beach) lots of young people and nightlife (Jax or Neptune Beach) and expensive suburban environment (Ponte Vedra beach)

Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzStaples View Post
What about place for a 38 yr. old single mom with 3 school aged kids?
Like with the above poster, we probably would need some particulars, before making a suggestion. Like;
1.) Where about are you going to be employed, what area of town?
2.) How much in mortgage/rent are you comfortable with paying?
3.) What interests outside of work do you have, Shopping, dinning out, church, nature walks or anything else?
4.) How important are schools and what grades are your children in?

The more info you are willing to provide the more advise we can offer.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 AM

Are prices for apartments around the beach very expensive, compared to Riverside (also expensive?)
Also, If my office were in the Tinseltown/Town Center area, would the commute to Riverside be a long one with 7-8am/5pm traffic? I could spend around 900 on rent, only because i would have a condo to sell here in NC, and until that would happen or I could rent it out..900 might be my limit.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
you'd be going against the rush hour traffic in your commute if you live in Riverside.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Are prices for apartments around the beach very expensive, compared to Riverside (also expensive?)
Also, If my office were in the Tinseltown/Town Center area, would the commute to Riverside be a long one with 7-8am/5pm traffic? I could spend around 900 on rent, only because i would have a condo to sell here in NC, and until that would happen or I could rent it out..900 might be my limit.
During

Rush hours which are the time you specified, from Riverside to TinselTown would be about 30 minutes because you would basically be going the opposite way from everyone else. Same on your return trip. The only slow part really, would be The Fuller Warren Bridge (I-95) across the river.
From the beaches your going with the rush hour traffic so look for 30-45 minutes depending on flow and where at the beach you are.

For $900 you can get a fairly nice place in Riverside or at the beach, just realize that at the beach you won't be right on the water or real close. Maybe on the west side of 3rd Avenue(A-1-A)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville