Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,282,878 times

Advertisements

I thought it'd be cool to start a thread about the converted lofts of Jacksonville.

Surprisingly, there's very few for rent/sale.

There are some individual, stand alone residences, but converted lofts as part of an apartment or condo are few and far between.

Many loft-seekers prefer the converted lofts because of thier character and unique charms (ie, orginal exposed brick,orginal concrete floors, etc) so here they are. Three of them.

Fyi - they are all former school buildings.

1) San Marco Lofts The Lofts San Marco

Nineteenth-century ideas of the best educational environment included high ceilings, large classrooms and an abundance of light and fresh air. Victor Earl Mark and Leroy Sheftall, students of Henry J. Klutho, adhered to this theory in their design of the South Jacksonville Grammar School in 1916. Eventually, the building was put to administrative use by the Duval County School Board, which sold it in 2001 to siblings Barbara Cesery and Bill Cesery, renowned Jacksonville developers with a vision to create one of the city's first examples of the live/work concept. The structure has been accepted for a listing on the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of its educational and architectural significance.

2) 1951 Market Lofts Home

1951 Market is a refurbished schoolhouse offering true loft living in Historic Springfield. It features mammoth windows, incredibly high ceilings and unrestricted space with gated convenience.

Originally the Corinne Scott Elementary School, the building was fashioned by famed architectural team Mark & Sheftall. The style is known as Collegiate Gothic, which is closely related to Tudor. The name is derived from the frequent application of this style in educational buildings, particularly those located on college campuses.

When the crew of the movie Rockett needed to shoot footage of an "authentic" New York-style loft in Jacksonville, there was only one location that would work ... 1951 Market Street. This refurbished 1924 schoolhouse was perfect from all angles. Stars Lucy Liu and Jimmy Falon made it their movie residence. No special effects were needed, as these are actual and authentic lofts.

Inside, each loft home is as unique as the history associated with it. Common elements are soaring ceilings and remarkable windows. These two features combine to create the space first seized upon by artists as the most desirable studio setting. Today, the allure beckons to all walks of life as open space allows each owner to create their perfect place.

The outside recreation area that once held gym classes and volleyball matches now hosts community cookouts and lawn chair Sundays. The former auditorium is separated into two lofts, each with an accompanying stage and unprecedented potential. Walking the halls of this historic place one feels the pull of the past swayed by the feel of today.

3) Riverside Lofts (not finished yet, so no official name yet or website)

Wayne and Delores Weaver bought the historic John Gorrie Middle School from the Duval County School Board in 2009. Architects Roy Benjamin and Mellen Greeley designed the Mediterranean revival building in 1923 and for years it thrived as a public school. But by the time the Weavers bought it, the school had been closed for 17 years and was in a state of serious disrepair.

The interior of the building had to be gutted and a new roof, plumbing, wiring and windows installed. The space has been subdivided into 68 condos, which are nearing completion and expected to go on the market in the spring.

The historic exterior was restored and the property will be fenced and landscaped.
Barakat said they are especially eager for the opening of The John Gorrie. “Gorrie will really help transform the neighborhood. Bringing that beautiful building back to life, bringing some human activity, it can only be a catalyst for more revitalization.”

A few other Fyi's. Bill Cesey, well known developer, renovated the San Marco Lofts. Paul Shockey, well known restaurantuer, renovated the 1951 Market Lofts (in Springfield), and The Weavers, well known philanthropists & Jags NFL owners, are renovating the Riverside Lofts (or whatever they'll be called).

Only 3 in the city.

Could this be the fourth?

The Claude Nolan Building....not an old school house, but an old car dealership instead...with a great park/pond/creek/skyline view.

Although a number of Klutho's important Prairie School buildings have been demolished, many others have been saved from destruction only to be remodeled beyond recognition. Two such buildings are the Home Telephone Company Building downtown, and the Claude Nolan Cadillac Building. This latter building was a fine Prairie-style design, which nicely complemented the City Engineer's Building across the street. The Claude Nolan Building was constructed of reinforced concrete and had a projecting cornice, large plate glass windows, and a bold interplay of horizontal and vertical lines. Although the drastic remodeling in 1948 completely obscured the original facade (see photo below), there still remain two skylighted garages behind the building that Klutho also designed for Claude Nolan.

In the main Nolan showroom building, the architect’s use of reinforced concrete was quite sophisticated and introduced expressive detailing seldom equaled today. The large girders were 14 feet on center with one-way flat slabs spanning between to carry the heavy Cadillacs. As originally constructed, this building went far beyond the glazing usually associated with Prairie School work. Claude Nolan’s auto showroom and garage building was literally all plate glass; the only solids on the Main Street elevation were the articulated columns and the spandrels. Klutho had achieved the ultimate glass box framed in concrete and delicate brick. The very nature of the building demanded this approach, for it was indeed a jewel box for the display of the aristocrat of American automobiles. A suspended marquee of galvanized iron and glass over the Main Street sidewalk provided cover for pedestrians viewing the auto displays without eliminating natural light. Globe lights occurred at each cable connection to the fascia. When lit at night they must have presented an elegant scene, especially when all of the glass-enclosed upper floors were also radiating light.

In 1948 an architect named W.A. Moore, Jr. blatantly destroyed the glass box by removing Klutho’s windows, covering the delicate brick and concrete details with stucco, and removing the cornice and glass canopy. The building today stands as one of many post-World War II, pseudo-modern monstrosities.

The Claude Nolan complex occupies a prominent site overlooking Confederate Park and Hogans Creek, for which Klutho did a major rehabilitation project in 1929. Mr. Claude Nolan, who founded this Cadillac dealership in 1907, was one of this Jacksonville’s most well known innovators. In addition to founding the oldest automobile business in the city, he is also credited with originating the idea of selling automobiles on installments in 1910, a practice that was soon adopted by the entire automotive industry. Also in 1910, he became the first native Floridian to fly over this state in an airplane. In 1928, he became the first person to drive an automobile from Miami to Key West, fifty-four miles of which were on the F.E.C. Railway trestle, before the completion of the highway to Key West. That same year, he conversed on the telephone with Berlin, Germany, becoming the first Floridian to talk directly with Europe.

I hope so. It's a cool space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 AM

5,241 posts, read 6,152,814 times
There is so much existing potential just ready to go. Really cool building withs lots of possibilities. Haven't been downtown in a while and saw the courthouse last night, it was awesome (huge).

Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,118,032 times
I don't kow how all the condos are in 11 East, but I have been in one of the penthouses and I would say that it fit the perfect definition for a loft.

Another loft is the private residence that is fire station number 1. It is a giant $2.2m loft.

I also think the Knight Residences on Adams St are lofts (maybe they're called the Knight Lofts?).

Lofts don't have to be "old" or conversions. Many of the new condos and apartments in Atlanta are also lofts with open floorplates and exposed utility work and high ceilings. I lived in a loft in a 5 year old apartment complex my junior year in college. It had concrete floors, brick walls, exposed ductwork, open floor, 14 ft. ceilings, etc etc.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 AM

116 posts, read 419,744 times
Here are a few more off the top of my head...

Churchwell Lofts on Bay Street, WA Knight Building on Adams Street, Metropolitan Lofts on Church Street, Home Street Lofts in San Marco, Chelsea Lofts in Riverside, 1661 Riverside

Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,282,878 times
I've been inside most of those. Most aren't real lofts, per se, like the Metropolitan Lofts & Chelsea Lofts. They're more like apartments, in my opinion. Or "mini-lofts".

Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,198 times
I live in the Lofts of San Marco and love it... the building has so much charm, when you walk in it is like walking back in time. I live in a two story loft which has original concrete floors, exposed brick, original windows....it is a great place to live.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 PM

278 posts, read 665,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmorrow View Post
I live in the Lofts of San Marco and love it... the building has so much charm, when you walk in it is like walking back in time. I live in a two story loft which has original concrete floors, exposed brick, original windows....it is a great place to live.
I keep wanting to sneak into that building and check it out. From the outside, it looks like they did a fantastic job on it. They kept plenty of the original character of the building - the outside almost looks unaltered - and from what I can see peeking thru the doors, the inside looks cool.

My wife and I bicycled over there not too long ago and she was a little perturbed that we hadn't seen the place before buying our house. It might have changed our minds. Any idea if they are leasing places in the building? Or are they for-sale only?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
I keep wanting to sneak into that building and check it out. From the outside, it looks like they did a fantastic job on it. They kept plenty of the original character of the building - the outside almost looks unaltered - and from what I can see peeking thru the doors, the inside looks cool.

My wife and I bicycled over there not too long ago and she was a little perturbed that we hadn't seen the place before buying our house. It might have changed our minds. Any idea if they are leasing places in the building? Or are they for-sale only?
If you want a chance to get in on the ground floor of something very similar, take a look at #3 on fsu318's list up above. The old John Gorrie Jr High School building is getting closer and closer to completion everyday when I drive by it in the mornings. They should start marketing it fairly soon, I would think. As on the outside it looks completely done. And once they start marketing it, I'm sure you'll be able to go in and look at different apartments.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post

Looking over the brochure it states they are leasing the units ...
The Lofts San Marco

Old 07-27-2011, 01:26 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,510,160 times
The San Marco lofts are nice, I lived in a converted elementary school in Memphis (see below) when I got out of college. The townhomes aren't my thing, but I'm sure they appeal to someone.

2241 Brewers Landing, Memphis, TN 38104 :: All Stars Realty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville