Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 AM

82 posts, read 167,367 times

Advertisements

Oh, sorry. My husband will be working in Springfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida8996 View Post
Oh, sorry. My husband will be working in Springfield
Seems like you should at least look there during your home search.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm from NC. My husband, me and 15 year old son are moving to NE Florida. That's all we know right now. I have looked into the southside, How do you feel about this area for teens? How's the family feel of the neighborhoods ? Forgive me please, a little off subject, I realize. Just wanted to ask your input due to knowledge of area presented ? Thanks
Hey, you from NC,
Some of the south side is fine some isn't so fine. It's just such a large area with so many different demographics that unless you narrow it down some it's an almost impossible question to answer in a concise way.
And i have to agree with fsquid why not consider the Historic Springfield area or Riverside or San Marco areas to live in as they are great old neighborhoods with a lot going on in them. Very walkable and some charming older homes. As far as for teens? Well! Teens can get into trouble anywhere at all, it just depends on how interactive their parents are with them in their interests and in their school.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,013 times
Thank you for your concern about my medulla oblongata madcap

The purpose of the atlas is to highlight places that are local, funky/eclectic, and have a warm atmosphere (it's on the About page of the site). The emphasis is heavily on the local experience, and not the strict sense of "Bohemian". Clearly at Beach Road Chicken, you will not be transported to 1920s Paris, but we still think it's a cool experience for visitors to see the Southern aspect of Jacksonville.

You all do bring up a good point, and we'll consider how we communicate our purpose better. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:27 PM

Location: San Francisco area for just a little longer ..... maybe?
24 posts, read 37,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian_atlas View Post
Thank you for your concern about my medulla oblongata madcap

The purpose of the atlas is to highlight places that are local, funky/eclectic, and have a warm atmosphere (it's on the About page of the site). The emphasis is heavily on the local experience, and not the strict sense of "Bohemian". Clearly at Beach Road Chicken, you will not be transported to 1920s Paris, but we still think it's a cool experience for visitors to see the Southern aspect of Jacksonville.

You all do bring up a good point, and we'll consider how we communicate our purpose better. Thanks!
I do not believe his interest in your medulla oblongata was in any way a professional interest, as from what I gather on here in other threads madcapmagishion is a farmer/rancher with a very intelligent dry wit. However having said that I do like southern fried chicken and greens.(I guess living in Athens GA for my 3 undergrad years will do that to one) And I have been called Bohemian by more than one member of bourgeois society, mainly because of my accent and the way I usually dress. I looked at your atlas and definitely have an interest in visiting several of the ones mentioned while here looking over Jacksonville as a future home base.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm from NC. My husband, me and 15 year old son are moving to NE Florida. That's all we know right now. I have looked into the southside, How do you feel about this area for teens? How's the family feel of the neighborhoods ? Forgive me please, a little off subject, I realize. Just wanted to ask your input due to knowledge of area presented ? Thanks
The Springfield Historic District is very family orientated, with tons of support and many things to do/get involved in. Lots of kids.

The best place to find info and ask questions about the neighborhood is www.myspringfield.org. Great photos, interviews, articles, and forum just for this little neighborhood.

Also, you might be interested in - Home.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:58 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
It's an exciting time to live in SPR.

So much going on, new people moving in, restorations, initiatives, etc. The energy is palpable.

Check out this Times Union article from last week A Nod to the Past | jacksonville.com talking about a new home builder setting up shop, and how the community has really taken off.

A Nod to the Past
With charm and character to spare, Springfield's newly constructed homes and existing classics are attracting buyers from near and far.

And this article from today Housing slowdown? Not for this couple betting on Springfield | jacksonville.com about a prominant Jacksonville couple doing awesome things in the neighborhood

Housing slowdown? Not for this couple betting on Springfield
'We're long-term residents and investors in the neighborhood.'

Then there's the new antiques botique that just opened:
Springfield Antiques & Gifts

The 1st ever Jacksonville Food Swap coming up on September 17th, organized an held in SPR, No cash allowed! | Home | HealthSource with details here: Jacksonville Food Swap | mySpringfield | mySpringfield. Sort of a hippie thing, but hippies are cool, right?

Speaking of which, did you know urban agriculture is coming to all of Jacksonville, led by the Springfield Historic District? Well, it is. New zoning and regulations for the entire city. To find out more, come to the forum on October 6th: Springfield Preservation and Revitalization (SPAR) - Community/Government - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook

Speaking of hippies (kind of) x2, the 2011 Chinacat SunFlower Festival was recently held in Kultho Park
2011 Chinacat Sunflower Festival - myspringfield's Photos which was pretty........laid back. : )

and, of course, the biggest annual dog festival in the city - Dog Days in the Park, is just around the corner on September 24th

with about 100 others things to menion too. Literally. So yeah, it's awesome.
Springfield seems to still be on the rise a bit. When was the last time a major crime happened in the area?? Have not seen Springfield in the TU for a while...very interesting.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Oh, a few more things....

The owners of Carmines Pie House of Riverside are probably going to purchase the 9th & Main building: mySpringfield.org • View topic - Carmines in Springfield?

That would awesome!

A new Suntrust brach will be moving into a historic store front at 7th & Main in a few weeks....

Jacksonville Regional Chamber of Commerce

and the big shot developers of the State & Main complex will be throwing a party at the end of the month, on site, to celebrate the new coming development: New commerical on Main Street

Yup. Exciting times indeed.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Oh, a few more things....

The owners of Carmines Pie House of Riverside are probably going to purchase the 9th & Main building: mySpringfield.org • View topic - Carmines in Springfield?

That would awesome!

A new Suntrust brach will be moving into a historic store front at 7th & Main in a few weeks....

Jacksonville Regional Chamber of Commerce

and the big shot developers of the State & Main complex will be throwing a party at the end of the month, on site, to celebrate the new coming development: New commerical on Main Street

Yup. Exciting times indeed.
Great informative post. Although I have never been to Carmines sounds good.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM

38 posts, read 115,997 times
I grew up in NYC and lived in LA for 11 years before moving to Fl about a year ago. When we first got here, we spent a good four months looking around for an interesting neighborhood, and ended up in Riverside/Avondale area. I spent some time in springfield...

I'll just say this... I live at the beach now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: