Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 07:01 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times

Advertisements

We are considering a position at the Naval base near Orange Park. I am sorry I forget the proper name of that base. Hubby is willing to commute the amount of time, "generally speaking" of course of approximately forty minutes each way.

He also reminded me that Georgia has a state income tax but that Florida does not, so we will, if moving there stay in Florida.

Will those or any of you familiar with the area please suggest some family-friendly, low-crime towns that we may consider purchasing in, to live for many years?

I appreciate any and all thoughts from folks. Sincerely~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Thank you for the reply. I see I was as thorough as a bumper sticker. Sorry!

We are in our mid-fifties, daughters grown, happily married and in other states. Hubby and I prefer to live a half hour from the major city of Jacksonville, so we actually are looking for a small town near only other small towns, but of course hopefully, right off of a major highway that would take him right into NAS Jacksonville for his commute.
He is willing to drive up to an hour, but I think, on average which of course depends upon traffic, etc. that forty min. commute is about right.

He is known for getting to work by 5am and leaving work before normal, croweded drive time but of course that doesn't always happen, and when he's needed other hours he suffers the commute with everyone else.

We hope for an area with as little crime as possible in this economy we are all suffering, and it occurred to me to research what areas have the most secure Water Supplies. A couple of years ago, Atlanta was in the news because they were in a severe drought that was said to be six months away from true panic, like biblical proportions, if sustained rain did not arrive.

We can pay a couple of hundred-thousand for a house for the two of us, without pushing our own budget.

Thank you and anyone else that may see this thread and be willing to reply. Sincerely~

Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 AM

Blunt is fine, in fact it is good, it saves time and you are kind because you didn't need to be excused when talking with me. No, I didn't realize since I've never been there. I am a native of San Antonio, TX., and yet forty minutes from some areas of that town USED to get one out in some little bedroom communities. Not forty minutes from the center of SA but since I don't know the Jacksonville map at all, I don't know if NAS is on one edge of the Metroplex, I'll call it, or dang near the center.

Northern St. Johns county, okay! I'll google for some names of some small towns in that area. thanks. It's a start.

Editing this in, later....are the communities that are north of Jacksonville, named "Folkston, Kingsland and Woodbine? " is that called, dangme should get the map back up, sorry! Are these three all undesirable?

I'm asking if you or anyone else knows anything noteworthy about them. Thankfully I have up to a year to check out areas, yet I know things can change, per job offerings and this could happen in six mos.

Last edited by Sunnysee; 10-02-2011 at 03:00 AM..

Old 10-02-2011, 06:39 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Jacksonville is huge, not population wise but land size.

The communities you mentioned just over the border are fine but you are looking at an hour commute and state income tax and the way gas is priced a good monthly allotment going towards your gas budget. Unless your working at the base up there or the hospital good paying jobs are not readily available (if you are looking for employment).

I have friends that commute from Saint Augustine, the communities in Georgia you mentioned and from where I live in Fernandina Beach. They all have about an hour commute. The drive and traffic are not bad. It will never be like LA, Chicago or Boston as far as traffic goes as a comparison.

As far as buying a house, rent, rent, rent. This area (Jacksonville and surrounding communities) are considered to be in the circle of states and cities that has been hit hard by foreclousures and underwater home values.

You probally already know, but if your husband is in the GS pay scale, this area has the lowest locality pay in the US. The base pay is the same, but your locality might be considerably less than where you are now. Housing prices will make up for that as rents and home prices are considerably lower here.

There is a gentleman here on this forum that is knowledgeable on the downtown communities and as far as being empty nesters they might be just the right fit as they are small walkable places and not cookie cutter. Good Luck

PS. I do know certain areas of NAS (divisions) were asked about interest in VSIPS just recently.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:02 AM

154 posts, read 324,124 times
Why live in Georgia? Many areas of Jacksonville are just about like Georgia. Save the state income tax. You need to start researching northeast Florida on-line.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 AM

801 posts, read 1,514,346 times
Callahan, Baldwin, and Macclenny are all small towns within 40 minutes from NAS JAX. I've only drove through Callahan and haven't been to the other ones, but they're all small towns with little crime. Not sure how family friendly they are though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville