Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 41,596 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Jax in the next month or two. I have been researching the area and reading these forums. I have come to the conclusion that St. John's County is the best area for us (I think). My husband would be working in downtown Jax - Riverplace blvd. (32207 zip), but I know we don't want to live around there.

Our primary concern is for our 15 year old so the high school is what we will revolve our housing decision on. So far I have narrowed it down to Bartram Trail HS or Allen D. Nease HS. I think the Julington Creek area is probably the area for us, but I'm not sure. Mapquest indicates a 30 min. drive to work for my husband each way. Is this accurate?

I have noted several neighborhoods that sound right up our alley. Julington Creek Plantation, Cimarrone CC, St. John's Forest, Colony at Greenbriar, Bartram Plantation, and Plantation Estates. We would be looking for 5 br/ 3-4 ba, a "luxury" or "estate" type of gated community, with a house that is hopefullly only around 5 years old or less. Price $600-$800k.

What do those of you who live in the area think? I am thinking along the right lines here, or should I start looking at other areas? Is my price range reasonable for the Julington Creek area? Am I focusing on the two best public high schools or are they not as good as they sound?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Mapquest is not considering traffic in that 30 minute estimate .

Keep in mind that even if you're departing from Julington Creek Plantation, there are LOTS of people living further south than you who are travelling to the same destination and there are more added every day (lots of people relocating to the First Coast are choosing North St. John's County).

A few years back I commuted to downtown while living in 32207. I lived in the south end of 32207, so I was about 4 miles from work. My commute was 12 minutes door-to-door. So you can see that Mapquest's estimation of 30 minutes is highly unlikely.

The neighborhoods you're considering are nice, I don't think you'll have any problem finding a home you like in your price range.

I know you said you don't want to live in 32207, but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here for the benefit of anyone else who may be considering the same type of move: In the price range of $600-$800k, you can buy a fantastic home in 32207/32217 that is likely to be a much better investment in the long run over the far-flung new development bedroom communities on the edges of the county. Yes, the homes are older in 32207/32217 and may need some updating, but you know what they say about "location, location, location" and those zips are consistently desireable; proven over many decades. They're well worth considering .

Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times
I want to throw my two cents in and you can take it or leave it too.

First of all, you're on the right track with Nease and Bartram Trail.

The areas you've discussed around 210 (St. John's Forest, Colony at Greenbriar and Cimarrone) are all great neighborhoods. Location to I-95 from St. John's Forest is great and you will definitely find a luxury 5 br home in this area (with very small yard). However, Toll Brothers is building Colony at Greenbriar and their sales have not been what they originally projected--their home prices have decreased and now some owners own homes more expensive than they are currently priced at. Most of the homes are new and you either go with an inventory or wait for one to be finished. They are going to widen the road in that area in the next few years which means lots of construction along that route. The ride from 95 to Colony at Greenbriar is never-ending. We seriously considered moving there and St. Johns Forest (but beware of lots near the horse farm--we looked during a time when the wind was blowing strongly and the whole street stunk of manure!) but couldn't get over the distance and the commute for my husband. Another thing--with new construction like Greenbriar--there was (originally) a three-year build-out plan which could be lengthened due to sales. If you're going to buy new in that area, you have to understand that you might not be able to sell that same property for 3-5 years because of your direct competition (new construction in your own neighborhood and others).

I can't give any direct feed on Julington Creek Plantation because we never looked there during our househunting trips.

Have you considered visiting during the week and having your husband try to drive the routes from each of the locations during rush hour? That is what we did and we ended up living in Ponte Vedra Beach. It was at the high end of our budget which was the same as yours but we were happy with the home we found in Marsh Landing. Good Luck!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM

25 posts, read 113,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Mapquest is not considering traffic in that 30 minute estimate .

Keep in mind that even if you're departing from Julington Creek Plantation, there are LOTS of people living further south than you who are travelling to the same destination and there are more added every day (lots of people relocating to the First Coast are choosing North St. John's County).

A few years back I commuted to downtown while living in 32207. I lived in the south end of 32207, so I was about 4 miles from work. My commute was 12 minutes door-to-door. So you can see that Mapquest's estimation of 30 minutes is highly unlikely.

The neighborhoods you're considering are nice, I don't think you'll have any problem finding a home you like in your price range.

I know you said you don't want to live in 32207, but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here for the benefit of anyone else who may be considering the same type of move: In the price range of $600-$800k, you can buy a fantastic home in 32207/32217 that is likely to be a much better investment in the long run over the far-flung new development bedroom communities on the edges of the county. Yes, the homes are older in 32207/32217 and may need some updating, but you know what they say about "location, location, location" and those zips are consistently desireable; proven over many decades. They're well worth considering .
St. Johns is one of the fastest growing counties in the country. There will be growing pains but it is a great place to live.

I do not know many people that move to this area then move to another part of Jax. Traffic is not to bad depending on which way you are going and what time.

They just built a brand new soccer and skate park also.

If you take 95 in the AM around traffic hour I would reccomend the 210 communities. Cimmerone has had some problems with their pool and i am not sure if they been resolved and the Golf course has had issues with the greens.

Bartram Plantation you are very close Bartram HS and would not get moved to the new high school.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cval View Post

I do not know many people that move to this area then move to another part of Jax.
Me! I'm one who moved from St. John's to Duval county !

St. John's county is very nice, but it just wasn't what I was looking for and it's not developing into what I'm looking for either. If I was older and retired OR wanted a very suburban life and little else, then it would have been fine.

I moved to St. Augustine as a single person and it was way too sleepy for me. I also hated the long commute to work. I'm married now, but I still want to live in an area with a little more going on, so we don't see ourselves ever moving out of Duval and into the surrounding counties.

It's a personal choice, and again, there's nothing wrong with living in St. John's or Clay county if that's what suits you and you don't mind a longer commute - the two counties are typical bedroom communities and some people LOVE bedroom communities, but other people are bored by them .

Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,077 times
We lived in Julington Creek, (Just moved to Texas last week) my husband worked in the same general area downtown you mentioned (32207) and it took 40 mins to drive one way with no traffic. With traffic it was over an hour. Not great, but we wouldnt want to live anywhere else in Jacksonville.

I loved JCP and it has a lot to offer, we lived there many years, but took the job opportunity to move on. If we were to stay, we wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere BUT in St Johns County, so yes it is a personal choice, and St Johns was right for us.

Good luck and if you need a good realtor who knows these areas well, just send me an IM because our realtor we used to sell our house specialized in St Johns co and homes in that range, she could help you with any questions you have.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 41,596 times
Default Thanks to all

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

We are now relocated in Jax, actually in St. Johns County. We chose to buy a spec house in Plantation Estates in JCP and are renting a house in the same neighborhood until our house closes. So far we couldn't be happier - with the are, high school, people, etc. We moved from Boca Raton where the area is beautiful but the people are anything but (rude and self-centered dominates there).

Anyway, thanks again to you all.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorken View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

We are now relocated in Jax, actually in St. Johns County. We chose to buy a spec house in Plantation Estates in JCP and are renting a house in the same neighborhood until our house closes. So far we couldn't be happier - with the are, high school, people, etc. We moved from Boca Raton where the area is beautiful but the people are anything but (rude and self-centered dominates there).

Anyway, thanks again to you all.
Welcome to St. Johns County! Not alot of action here but excellent choice for schools, a more relaxed lifestyle, alot of greenery and, oh yes, nice people. Commuting to Jax can be a hassle but that's the price you pay for living in one of the more livable counties.

Your move from Boca Raton reminds me of our move from NYC where people go out of their way to be rude and self-centered. We can relate.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:16 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Jorken
welcome to the neighborhood
we are always glad to hear form even more "happy jax folks"

there is a great bunch of folks here so we invite you to hang out here with us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville