Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,142 times

Advertisements

does no one care for ATT Uverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 50,868 times
I have AT&T DSL right now. It is slow as all hell and pretty expensive. Its all that is being offered right now at my location though. Thank god I only have a few more months on this lease.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasisman View Post
i don't care for any form of DSL and I hate AT&T more than most...

Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Nobody that's had any experience with it likes it, as far as I can tell. Slow internet speeds, choppy video signal, and if you have more than 4 televisions in your house you won't be able to watch all of them at once.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 PM

443 posts, read 896,095 times
I have U-Verse in south Florida and it's great. No problem with "choppy video signal" or slow internet. I hope it's available in Ponte Vedra when we make our move north in a year or two.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,666,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Here it is from home:
I've had almost no reason to talk to support, ever...... but I'm on a $62.95 plan and getting half of what Eric gets.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:39 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
UVerse isn't universally available here. For example - it's not available where I live (a part of 32082 - don't know if that's true when it comes to all of 32082).

We've had cable/internet here for 15+ years. Always Comcast (or a predecessor - don't recall if there was a predecessor when it came to TV) on the TV end (we built our house new - and the neighborhood is wired with fiber optic cable - or whatever it's called). Can't say I've ever been unhappy with the cable (except the prices keep going up). Service has gone down - but the infrequent outages are almost always storm related (not necessarily hurricanes - could be really bad thunderstorms). I rarely if ever deal with a CSR - except to report an outage. If I want a new STB - I get in the car and get what I want at the main office on Touchton (there is an office out at the Beaches - but it's awful in terms of the equipment it has on hand).

In terms of internet - we were Mediaone (high speed cable - at least high speed for that era) customers when we moved here in 1995. Stayed with Mediaone until Comcast bought Mediaone (can't remember when that happened). At the time - Comcast would not support home networking - so we switched to AT&T DSL (which did support home networking). OK with it for many years - except for the relatively slow speeds. About the end of last year - we started having awful problems. Extremely slow connections - or no connections at all. First time we had 4 service calls (and multiple modem replacements) and managed to get the thing up and running again. A few months later - the same thing happened. And after perhaps 4-5 service calls - and - again - multiple modem replacements - they never could get the service to operate properly.

So - instead of getting the guest room ready for the AT&T service tech - I drove over to Comcast and got a discount trial offer. Have had the thing up and running now for perhaps 3 months or so. No problems at all. As I'm writing this message - I did a test on Speedtest. DL of 24.68 - UL of 4.26 (much more speed than I need). Note that I have the plan that costs $48.95 (after my trial period is over) if you have Comcast cable TV (whatever that plan is - it isn't the cheapest - or the most expensive either).

FWIW - I think a lot of issues people have tend to be related to the lines/equipment in their general area and/or their specific area - the connections from the box to the house - and their internal wiring. E.g., I recall having problems with my TV once. And when the Comcast service guy came out to look at the box on my property - it was totally filled by a huge fire ant nest - thousands and thousands of ants that had apparently gotten into every piece of wiring in the box. It was an amazing sight to behold!

Finally - when we built our house - we wired just about every room every which way for any possibility we could think of at the time. Because of all the wiring - we use an amplifier box (supplied by Comcast at time of original installation) to make sure all our outlets get enough "juice". And we don't have a single piece of equipment that is using a "split signal". Robyn

Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 PM

P.S. We are also using a pretty zippy new modem we rent from Comcast. It costs $7/month to rent. If I have a problem in the future - I don't want to get into arguments about whether it's Comcast's fault - or whether there's something wrong with a modem/wireless router I bought on line. I want to be able to point my finger at only one entity. Robyn

Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Nobody that's had any experience with it likes it, as far as I can tell. Slow internet speeds, choppy video signal, and if you have more than 4 televisions in your house you won't be able to watch all of them at once.
Why the 4 TV limit? We have 6 (although it's rare to have all of them on at the same time). Robyn

Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 PM

237 posts, read 496,863 times
I have Comcast. Used Clearwire for awhile, but did not get good recemption in my part of town. Not a whole lot of high speed options in my area. Service has been fine for me. I hear people complaining. One thing you have to watch out for is signal strength. You want to keep splitters to a minimum. I run the cable to an amplifier like Robyn mentioned and then run to all the rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville