Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 02:44 PM

54 posts, read 128,010 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I need some help with the Jacksonville area. First off, I could make a move with my job to Hilliard and my wife is a nurse, so jobs should not be an issue. We are trying to get back to FL and would consider a number of places. I'm familiar with most of Florida but very unfamiliar with the Jacksonville area. I know enough about Hilliard that I would have no interest in being up there, so I'll be looking for some areas within commuting distance. My wife has been to Fernandina Beach, and we plan on visiting there again, but neither of us have a clue about Jacksonville other than what we have read here. What I have surmised from the forum here is that the north and eastern parts of Jax are pretty scumy. That being said, we need some areas to visit that would be better. Here is exactly what we'd be looking for, and all recommendations are very appreciated.

1. (Most importantly) Good schools! We have 2 grade school age kids and if we make this move it will be their last until they are off to college.

2. Safe areas (I know, no area is completely safe). Areas with less crime, drugs, gangs, etc...

3. Something within a 45 minute drive to Hilliard, preferably less. It seems as if Ponte Vedra or St Augustine would be good areas to look, but I think they are too far away according to Google maps.

4. Waterfront! I would love a home with a dock on the intercoastal. Areas under 500k. If there is none, then so be it.

Thanks for all responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley615 View Post
What I have surmised from the forum here is that the north and eastern parts of Jax are pretty scumy.
Totally incorrect!!! The Scummy(?) we prefer "iffy" areas of Jax are the;
1) inner north side from about the Martin Luther KIng Hwy to Trout river
2) northwest area from I-95 to I-295 anything in that area north of I-10
3) inner west side area from I-95 out to I-295 north of I-10 to New Kings Rd
4) most of the old Arlington area, from the St Johns river east to I-295(9A) and from Atlantic Blvd north to Merrill Rd
5) the overall south side has some fairly iffy areas also as does the general west side and the beaches especially near the naval base.

Note...not all areas are all bad there are just some pockets of iffy in each and every area.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 AM

213 posts, read 422,413 times
First of all, Hilliard is a little too remote, and most of the controllers that I know at ZJX usually live in Hillard, Callahan, Yulee, and Fernandina. If you are talking about the intracoastal area, Fernandina is your best bet. It is about a 25 - 30 min drive to Hillard, Ponte Vedra and St. Augustine is at least an hour away from Hilliard.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 AM

54 posts, read 128,010 times
[quote=madcapmagishion;23981058]Totally incorrect!!! The Scummy(?) we prefer "iffy" areas of Jax are the;

Ha, ok the "iffy" areas if that makes you feel better. Every city has them and you can refer to them as a number of ways, some much worse then Scummy. I'll admit, it's a bit presumptuous to refer to the northern and eastern parts of a city as "iffy." I'm sure there are simply bad areas in each as you pointed out, and thank you for that. I'm simply planning on taking a trip there in the future and scoping out areas of Jacksonville that would meet my requirements. If there are none within driving distance of Hilliard then that's ok. The point is I don't know where they are and am asking people who would know.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
The ICW near Fernandina would probably be your best bet. With I think it's called Oyster bay being preferred.(on the west side just before the A-1-A ICW bridge)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville