Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post
And here I am two years after graduating college, still still looking for a job. (I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Communication, with concentration in public relations)

Seriously, this might as well just be another one of those "lists".
Seriously! It is just another one of those "lists". If one looks hard enough, somewhere on the Internet anyone can find supposed "facts" that support their own argument or agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 AM

336 posts, read 450,367 times
It looks like most, if not all of the cities on this list can be characterized as 'lower than average' cost of living.

So, in that respect, it makes sense that new grads would be happy in these cities.

A newly graduated teacher living on a $30,000 salary in San Francisco or New York isn't going to have much extra money to spend, and may not be too happy. On the other hand, that same teacher living in Jax may feel like they have a lot more discretionary income.

But check back with this same group of grads a few years down the road, once they have kids and start to consider quality of schools, or they start to look for growth opportunities and career advancement. I'll bet this list would look a little different at that time.

Not to say that Jax doesn't have some good schools, and some growth opportunities, but compared to many of the larger cities that didn't make this list, we don't stack up as well in some of those mid- life considerations.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM

35 posts, read 112,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post
And here I am two years after graduating college, still still looking for a job. (I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Communication, with concentration in public relations)

Seriously, this might as well just be another one of those "lists".
My girlfriend has a Master's in Psychology with an Industrial/Organization concentration and an MBA and has been looking for a job for about 1.5 years too to no avail.

My sister who has a Master's in Biochemstry and Stats. She has also been looking for work for over a year with no luck as well.

It took me over a year too when I received my master's degree as well.

I think it was CNN or NPR that stated that about 50% of every recent college grad is unemployed or underemployed.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM

278 posts, read 665,041 times
You absolutely never know with these lists. US News and World Report had Jacksonville as one of the 10 Worst Cities In the US for those seeking jobs as of a year ago. We were also recently named one of the 10 Most Dangerous Cities for Pedestrians according to Transportation For America.

Forming your opinion of a city based on any list, positive or negative, is a bad idea anyway. Personally I think these lists are just an excuse to sell internet ads based on people clicking thru a dozen different pages.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
You absolutely never know with these lists. US News and World Report had Jacksonville as one of the 10 Worst Cities In the US for those seeking jobs as of a year ago. We were also recently named one of the 10 Most Dangerous Cities for Pedestrians according to Transportation For America.

Forming your opinion of a city based on any list, positive or negative, is a bad idea anyway. Personally I think these lists are just an excuse to sell internet ads based on people clicking thru a dozen different pages.
bativac your young and employed are you happy? I would put more worth in your and people like yourself's opinions in a category, such as this list tries to represent.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdweaze View Post
I currently live here... and yes there are some areas that are growing, but as a whole, memphis is a dump. However, they have gotten a new mayor since the last time I lived here and he seems to be making some positive changes. But growing up military, I have lived in a ridiculous amount of places... memphis is definitely NOT the greatest. Now as far as jobs go? I will have to say, that the job market isn't too bad here, I had 3 job offers my first month here. But as a whole, still a dumpy place to live.
Because that "dump" has lots of socially redeeming properties, including the best bbq in the world, the best music in the world, beautiful neighborhoods, world-class doctors and medical institutions, amazing festivals all year long, the best fans in the world, the Tigers and the Grizz, and the friendlist people anywhere, not to mention the Mighty Mississippi.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:06 PM

Best BBQ in the world ~ debatable, personal choice.
Best Music in the world ~ debatable, personal choice.
Beautiful neighborhoods ~ a few
World-Class doctors and medical institutions ~ a few
Amazing festivals all year long ~ such as?
The Best Fans in the world ~ debatable, again personal choice.
The Tigers and the Grizz ~ Well it is their team names, so no one else can have them.
The friendliest people anywhere ~ debatable again.
The Mighty Mississippi ~ Big Muddy is an understatement should be called the Big Nasty.(and people complain about the St Johns being polluted)

Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
No **** it's a personal choice. I simply put out my personal opinion to why Memphis might be included on the list. It no doubt has its warts with crime and racism.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM

Just be glad I didn't use a ******* "list" to prove how Memphis is a dump.

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 05-31-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 AM

145 posts, read 237,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Best BBQ in the world ~ debatable, personal choice.
Best Music in the world ~ debatable, personal choice.
Beautiful neighborhoods ~ a few
World-Class doctors and medical institutions ~ a few
Amazing festivals all year long ~ such as?
The Best Fans in the world ~ debatable, again personal choice.
The Tigers and the Grizz ~ Well it is their team names, so no one else can have them.
The friendliest people anywhere ~ debatable again.
The Mighty Mississippi ~ Big Muddy is an understatement should be called the Big Nasty.(and people complain about the St Johns being polluted)
Best Music-- agreed
Beautiful Neighborhoods-- Germantown area, Collierville area, Eades maybe more, but the city as a whole, not so beautiful.
Drs/Med institutions-- I can't really speak personally on this, I've been to one hospital there for one birth, and the hospital I went to in Alaska for my second birth was a FAR better experience.
Amazing Festivals-- I think the only memorable festivals they have are in May but I've been gone for a few years, just moved back
Best fans-- I'm not in to sports so can't speak on that!
Friendliest people-- I can attest to that. Not everyone, but a majority
Mississippi-- yuk... seriously... gross

I'm not "bashing" memphis per say. It has come a LONG way especially since they got a new mayor. But it has a very long way to go compared to some of the other cities I have lived in and enjoyed far better. However, memphis will always have a special place in my heart because it's the closest feeling to a home I've ever had in a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville