Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 5,442 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've recently written in a few times asking about the area. We're considering moving to the area in a year or so from Las Vegas. My s/o is from there- 103rd to be exact and VERY proud of where he's from. He speaks of the area being really rough, so we obviously wouldn't move there. My situation; we are an interacial couple. Are residents open to this? I know my home state isn't (Texas), so I'm curious about JAX. The west coast is seems to be quite "color blind", but doesn't the south hold a lot of prejudices still? We also just had a daughter, so I'm looking out for her benefit as much as possible.

Other than the race issue what about hospitality in general? Are residents typically friendly & welcoming to one another?

Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 12:06 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
I haven't lived here long enough to give you my opinion. Plus I'm "blind" and naive so I don't see much anyway. It's been my experience that people here - neighbors, shopclerks, people walking along the sidewalks - are very, very friendly.

I suppose location matters. I'm in a community where everyone is essentially from someplace else -- very few Florida natives (at least that I know about).

Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmensmommy View Post
Hi all,
I've recently written in a few times asking about the area. We're considering moving to the area in a year or so from Las Vegas. My s/o is from there- 103rd to be exact and VERY proud of where he's from. He speaks of the area being really rough, so we obviously wouldn't move there. My situation; we are an interacial couple. Are residents open to this? I know my home state isn't (Texas), so I'm curious about JAX. The west coast is seems to be quite "color blind", but doesn't the south hold a lot of prejudices still? We also just had a daughter, so I'm looking out for her benefit as much as possible.

Other than the race issue what about hospitality in general? Are residents typically friendly & welcoming to one another?

Thanks for your opinions!
No one there is going to have a problem with. Why! B/c you see it there all the time. I grew up on that side of town where you BF used to live and you see a lot of ir over there, in Orange Park (hello....), southside and all over. I dated ir there and no one ever said anything to us nor did we get strange stares. Matter of fact, when I came down in Aug for vac, saw a number of ir couples at the beaches. You'll be just another couple. No worries.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
"I'm in a community where everyone is essentially from someplace else -- very few Florida natives (at least that I know about)."

i hate to hear that, i really do.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM

227 posts, read 970,918 times
Overall, I would say that people in Jacksonville (and other parts of Florida) are very accepting and friendly when compared to people in most parts of the country.

I have lived on the West Coast, in Texas and now in Jacksonville so I think I can make a good comparison for you. I would have to say that the cities in Texas are much more tolerant of different people, lifestyles and relationships than Jacksonville or the West Coast. Smaller cities and towns are different of course. I would also have to say that the West Coast was the least tolerant area of the three. What city, suburb or town will you be moving from?

Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
dang when I read the thread title I thought you were talking about riveree, hif and me
let me tell you we have quite the personalities

But back to the original question I don't think you will have any problems in OP or Southside or the beaches.
Believe me I care more about how my neighbors keep their lawn than what color they are.
I also have friends around 103rd yes it has gotten rougher over the past few years which is a shame but there are still nicer areas.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
I too would say you won't have any issues with being an interracial couple here in Jax . I have neighbors on both sides of me that are interracial couples, across the way is a lesbian couple and on and on - every house seems unique in its' family makeup here (it's part of what we love about it here ).

As with any city, the closer you are to the city center, the higher the tolerance level, so I'd keep that in mind. I would recommend that you avoid the rural areas here, I've found the rural areas to be very intolerant (of just about everything and everyone !). So, I'd stick to the river neighborhoods, the Southside/Intracoastal West, and the Beaches.

I'm sure your significant other will steer you right. The city is more developed since your s/o left, but some things never really change, y'know .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville