Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,107 times

Advertisements

Like most of the other posts I see on here I am looking to relocate to Fl within the next few months. I grew up in RI and am done with the cold weather for now. Ive spent a bunch of time in Florida over the years so I think I have a good idea of what I'm looking for. I work on ships for a month or so at a time so employment/money is not an issue. My main draw to the area is being able to surf/fish/dive as much as possible. I know the wave quality isnt 10/10 but the availability makes up for it. And then of course when the sun goes down it would be nice to live in a place that has some options and a decent crowd around for a single guy in his mid 20's. Looking to buy a house rather than rent long-term. As of now Ive narrowed my choices to the Daytona area or around Jax Beach, Neptune, Atlantic Beach. Anyone have some imput on what will be the best balance of living the beach life and getting in with a good crowd of people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,505,742 times
If you like massive crowds of tourists/people 4 times a year, choose Daytona Beach. With Speed Week, Bike Week, Spring Break and Biketoberfest. When if you don't live right on the beach, it will take you maybe an hour to even go to to the beach because of traffic.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,310 times
There are a lot more young people in Jax Beach/Neptune/Atlantic Beach than in Daytona/New Smyrna (also a lot more people overall).

Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
I think you're going to find that neither area is really a year round outdoor water sport area (too cool/cold in the winter). Also - the waves are usually pretty dismal. We're not talking 10/10 - but maybe 1-2/10 most of the time (except when storms are passing by - that's when we go out on the pier to watch the waves and the surfers). Diving is also pretty mediocre. Fishing is better in general. What kind of fishing do you want to do (this area is better for some kinds of fishing - worse for others)? Do you plan to have a boat?

Note that I'm not a surfer - but have seen quite a few world class surfing areas. They're not in Florida. I used to be a diver. There was some decent diving in SE Florida (where I lived). But the best diving was in the Keys - and the Bahamas and other islands in the Caribbean. You're kind of isolated from those areas here (and the air service isn't good either). Robyn

Old 08-17-2012, 02:22 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromRI View Post
Like most of the other posts I see on here I am looking to relocate to Fl within the next few months. I grew up in RI and am done with the cold weather for now. Ive spent a bunch of time in Florida over the years so I think I have a good idea of what I'm looking for. I work on ships for a month or so at a time so employment/money is not an issue. My main draw to the area is being able to surf/fish/dive as much as possible. I know the wave quality isnt 10/10 but the availability makes up for it. And then of course when the sun goes down it would be nice to live in a place that has some options and a decent crowd around for a single guy in his mid 20's. Looking to buy a house rather than rent long-term. As of now Ive narrowed my choices to the Daytona area or around Jax Beach, Neptune, Atlantic Beach. Anyone have some imput on what will be the best balance of living the beach life and getting in with a good crowd of people?
Jax Beach, Neptune Beach, & Atlantic Beach.....BY FAR.

Good grief.

Not even close.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 PM

705 posts, read 1,574,694 times
I'm going to agree that JAX has more to offer overall than Daytona. JAX metro has about 1,400,000 people and the Deltona–Daytona Beach–Ormond Beach, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area, was home to 494,593 people in 2010. Daytona is also very close (1 1/2 hours or so), so if you wish to visit during the big events they have, it would be easy. Have your cake and eat it too.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 PM

19 posts, read 41,134 times
id get so sick of the dummed down version of a city daytona is. i love daytona but it seems to be more of a tourist attraction than a home.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
I think you would be better situated living in Jax Beach.

Not sure about your like or dislikes but Jacksonville is a very far cry from Boston or Providence as far as both cultural and ethnic diversity, restaurants, entertainment and things to do. This from a former Rhode Islander for better than 25 years....my wife and daughters still spend summers in RI so I do know economically RI is really hurting for jobs and opportunities. We love it here, but also realize that there is a big cultural difference between living in RI and here.

You have spent time in Florida before so you should be fine. Good luck

Old 08-19-2012, 04:51 PM

278 posts, read 664,559 times
My advice: rent first! For a year at least. I did, in Neptune Beach, and I loved it - except for the commute. At least 45 minutes to work and home from work. So I bought a house closer to the urban core. Wish I'd kept renting!

Also - Daytona has done a great job of running off all the youth and the fun stuff younger people used to do. So I'd steer clear of that area. But if you rent in Jax Beach, you can drive down to Daytona every weekend and check it out, it's only an hour and a half or so.

And as for surfing, NE FL does occasionally get decent waves but most of the time, it's like 1 to 2 foot surf. Great for wading out and throwing a Frisbee.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromRI View Post
Daytona Beach
http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...l#post20075830
Pros: Surfing/fishing, 5 colleges/student age population, housing costs, more regular special events, less congestion/crime/traffic, location to rest of state, below Frost Line, community/neighborhoods, interesting people, easy airport
Cons: Employment/opportunities, USA Freak Magnet, "Seasonal" nightlife

JAX
Pros: More people, more choices (more problems), employment/opportunities
Cons: Surfing, goober/hillbilly factor, crime, dead downtown, higher costs of living, spread-out sprawl, colder winters w/ hard freezes, USA Freaks spend the night here on their pilgrimages to Daytona

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville