Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM

37 posts, read 75,953 times

Advertisements

I am a retired military member with NO dental insurance. I have a broken tooth (which needs to be pulled as soon as possible) and several cavities that need to be filled or pulled. I can't afford to pay much. Can anyone recommend a dentist in the Saint Augustine, or south Jacksonville area that has reasonable rates with a specific dental plan. I have enough money to buy a pre-paid plan like Solstice Plus Plan One, Careington Care 500 Sereies, or i could make monthly payments to a plan like Florida Blue PPO. I need to get this done asap as there is a 3-5 day wait on most of the plans and I am already in constant pain. Thanks to anyone who can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM

838 posts, read 1,876,273 times
Not sure how current this is, but start on this site: Jacksonville FL Free Dental Care and Dental Clinics

Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 PM

216 posts, read 475,384 times
Dr Fields, jacksonville beach expensive, good, has a payment plan.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:57 PM

Most of the free dental clinics have closed and I have moved to north Saint Johns County. I have no problem paying something, but expensive is out of the question. Saint Johns County has a clinic, but I wouldn't even be able to get approved until mid-January and I don't think I could wait that long. Thanks for the link though.. it may help others at the poverty level. I am at 160% so I do not qualify for the clinics that remain open.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:05 AM

227 posts, read 391,083 times
Being retired military, are you eligible for VA care? I believe the clinic downtown offers dental care, and if not I'm sure they can refer you to another clinic. My husband is separated (not retired) and he's eligible. He used VA dental care when we didn't have insurance. I know retirees typically have better/more benefits than vets.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 AM

I have medical, but no dental, unfortunately. I would love to hear from someone with PPO insurance who is having a good experience. I have heard Coast dental is reasonable, but the service is lacking.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 AM

Seems I will have to find a decent dentist first, and then see what insurance plans they accept. From everything I can find PPO insurance seems the way to go. It's amazing that everyone seems to avoid talking about dentists, not that I can blame them. So, if anyone has a good dentist in the Saint Augustine area I would love to hear from you today! Thanks for the help.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times
Try Dr. Ken Baker @ Morse Family Dentistry located on A1A @ corner of 16th St. in St. Augustine Beach. Very reasonably priced and I'm sure they will do their best to work out a payment plan for you. 904-471-3300. Dr. Baker works part-time at this dental practice. He is the founder of St. Augustine's free dental clinic and is a wonderful dentist. I worked with the St Augustine free dental clinic (Good Samaritan Health Centers) for many years. To my knowledge, they are still serving county residents who are 200% below poverty level income and they did offer some days where walk-in patients were taken first come / first serve for emergencies. Hope you get relief soon from your pain.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 PM

Thanks, I will check them out!

Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkeeganinorl View Post
I am a retired military member with NO dental insurance. I have a broken tooth (which needs to be pulled as soon as possible) and several cavities that need to be filled or pulled. I can't afford to pay much. Can anyone recommend a dentist in the Saint Augustine, or south Jacksonville area that has reasonable rates with a specific dental plan. I have enough money to buy a pre-paid plan like Solstice Plus Plan One, Careington Care 500 Sereies, or i could make monthly payments to a plan like Florida Blue PPO. I need to get this done asap as there is a 3-5 day wait on most of the plans and I am already in constant pain. Thanks to anyone who can help!
If the tooth is cracked (are you sure of that?) - you need an oral surgeon - not a dentist (because taking out parts of a broken tooth is harder than taking out a whole tooth).

What is the most you could pay for this extraction out of pocket. In a single month or perhaps over a period of 6-12 months?

Keep in mind that even if you buy a new policy - and wait 5 days - it may not cover any conditions that existed when you bought the policy. Ask before you buy. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville