Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times

Advertisements

Haven't tried Shuckers yet. I wish they (or the Salty Pelican) sold oysters to go.

Haven't tried La Mancha yet either, but we have a couple of birthdays coming up next month.

Had a good dinner at Pablo's a couple weeks ago. The food is not the greatest Mexican I've ever had, but the organic margaritas are delicious, and for me the service and atmosphere are consistently pleasant.

We've been to Merge a couple times and really like the food and service but my husband isn't crazy about the location/decor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 AM

37 posts, read 83,525 times
I agree with all of the above and also had off meals recently at PLAE which until then we thought was very good. Our fave on the island though is Davids. Pricey (though not as high as salt) but consistantly excellent food and service. Beautiful atmosphere too. Very sophisticated with comfy pillows to relax on at the booths too! The fish and meat dishes are equally well prepared. They have both Dover sole and Chilean sea bass as well as an excellent rack of lamb. If you haven't tried it, go! Don Quixote is also pretty good on Center Street. If you want a quick sandwich Beef O Brady's is good for that or wings but dark atmosphere is not great....fave sandwich spot hands down is karibo but it's a relaxed lunch spot so be prepared to sit and enjoy. It's not a place to go if you are in a rush (that's what Beef O Brady's is good for!) For packing sandwiches to take to the beach, the happy tomato (or some kind of tomato lol) was a good find downtown. It's a take out place with a few tables outside - but nice overstuffed sandwiches for the beach! We used to love Hana Sushi and go all the time, but they changed owners this summer and its AWFUL now. The menu changed and the fish itself didn't taste nearly as fresh and wasn't prepared as nicely either. So that's a disappointment. We used to go all the time Now we need to find a new go to sushi place without having to go to Jax! Suggestions?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilysse View Post
( Now we need to find a new go to sushi place without having to go to Jax! Suggestions?
Kabuki House! It looks like a little hole-in-the-wall in the on-island Walmart shopping center, but you've got to go sit at their sushi bar, especially if Tandy is working that night. We have had two meals there recently and they were to die for.

We had a very nice meal at La Mancha this month, but for the prices we paid, their servers really need training. (They mean well, they just don't know any better.) The La Mancha chefs used to be at Don Quixote's but apparently left after the owners of Pepper's (who own Don Quixote's) somehow pulled the rug out from under them (not sure of details.)

Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 AM

5,134 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Kabuki House! It looks like a little hole-in-the-wall in the on-island Walmart shopping center, but you've got to go sit at their sushi bar, especially if Tandy is working that night. We have had two meals there recently and they were to die for.

We had a very nice meal at La Mancha this month, but for the prices we paid, their servers really need training. (They mean well, they just don't know any better.) The La Mancha chefs used to be at Don Quixote's but apparently left after the owners of Pepper's (who own Don Quixote's) somehow pulled the rug out from under them (not sure of details.)

Blue, how is the Peppers downtown......still good? We were going to visit the one off the island but they closed.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Blue, how is the Peppers downtown......still good? We were going to visit the one off the island but they closed.
Yes, Pepper's is still good, for what it is. (Since moving to FL from out west, I still have yet to enjoy Mexican food as I used to know it.) We ate there about a month or so ago and it was fine.
Sounds like a couple restaurants had problems with undocumented workers this past summer. Too bad the off-island Pepper's closed.

Went to a wedding at Florida House last week and loved the food there.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM

16,553 posts, read 8,592,152 times
I agree with most of the comments in this thread.

La Mancha probably has the best scallops (ask for David to be your waiter as he is top shelf);

http://www.lamancharestaurant.net/

with Espana a close 2nd if you like very good food with a flair from Spain. I highly recommend their scallops;

http://www.espanadowntown.com/

what really surprise me is that no one has mentioned the Verandah in the Plantation. Here is a link for them, and also other restaurants inside as well;

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/AmeliaIsland/Dining/TheVerandah.aspx

or Joe's 2nd Street Bistro in historic downtown [do try the dolphin wrapped in a corn husk]. Here is their link;

http://www.joesbistro.com/

Amelia Island has their own shrimp trawler fleet, so anywhere you go they are fresh and delicious.

With such great food, resorts (i.e. inside Plantation) and atmosphere anyone will fall in love with Amelia Island.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville