Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugnbyke View Post
It is actually on the northwest corner, and yes spread the word.
Yup, I messed up there! My internal compass must have been off !

Northwest behind the Chevron .

By the way, the brown sugar cake.......oh my!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 56,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
Thing about boba, if you never tried it, ask for a small sample first (I think they will let you sample), they CAN make drinks without boba. The drink itself is great but don't ruin the whole cup if you don't like boba. Just say smoothie without the boba, they're cool with that.
Hi Travelingfood! I don't believe Aroma Corner offers boba samples, at least not in my experience with them. I visited the cafe after reading the great reviews here and thought I would give it a try since I love tea. However, I never tried boba and soon realized, I am not a big fan of it. I explained to the owner that I never tried boba and was uncertain what kind of tea I should get as I was worried I would buy one and then not like it. Perhaps I needed to be more direct and ask for a sample, but I think a sample should have been offered after I expressed my concerns. On the positive note, the owner did take time to explain the flavors and different varieties. Even though I did not receive a sample prior to purchasing, I figured I was already there and might as well buy one. At least dh got a good laugh at me trying to be a sport and drinking the boba tea, espeically since I was so excited about trying it and it ended up being a complete disappointment.

Due to my personal experience, I will never go back there primarily because the owner did nothing in terms of customer service when she realized I didn't like it.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon2007 View Post
Hi Travelingfood! I don't believe Aroma Corner offers boba samples, at least not in my experience with them. I visited the cafe after reading the great reviews here and thought I would give it a try since I love tea. However, I never tried boba and soon realized, I am not a big fan of it. I explained to the owner that I never tried boba and was uncertain what kind of tea I should get as I was worried I would buy one and then not like it. Perhaps I needed to be more direct and ask for a sample, but I think a sample should have been offered after I expressed my concerns. On the positive note, the owner did take time to explain the flavors and different varieties. Even though I did not receive a sample prior to purchasing, I figured I was already there and might as well buy one. At least dh got a good laugh at me trying to be a sport and drinking the boba tea, espeically since I was so excited about trying it and it ended up being a complete disappointment.

Due to my personal experience, I will never go back there primarily because the owner did nothing in terms of customer service when she realized I didn't like it.
sorry about your experience, I don't think many small places like this can afford replacing a drink if people don't like it (unless it's awfully bad, then I would ask)... could just lift up the straw and don't eat the boba
I don't order drinks with boba anymore simply because I actually want to drink the drink instead of having to chew with the drink. Exception being if the place makes really damn good boba, and that takes great skills. Good boba is when it's soft and sweet, not chewy like rubber balls. Most people that tried the boba end up not wanting the boba, but just order the mixed drinks, it taste great without it.

Hope you can give their regular teas (ask if it's brewed from leafs) a try though, not the blended stuffs.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
We were given samples of the pastry the first time that we went and of the taro bobba the second time. But I think they make up the bobbas fresh, so had some taro left over for the sample.

Sorry about the negative experience, falcon. Did your husband try your bobba?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
We were given samples of the pastry the first time that we went and of the taro bobba the second time. But I think they make up the bobbas fresh, so had some taro left over for the sample.

Sorry about the negative experience, falcon. Did your husband try your bobba?
hm..the boba takes a while to cook, so it should be just sitting there kept warm in small batches. It gets hard and yucky if it was left out for hrs. (don't order boba before store closing?) Sorry if I gave off the impression that they should have boba samples, I just felt if they did that it would help beginners. It probably too foreign for JAX!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 AM

I agree- if they routinely gave samples, they would grow their business. It is unusual. Since they are advertising, I will suggest they do this and include it in their ads. Maybe a coupon for a free sample.

Maybe they will give samples to anyone who says that CD sent them!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
When I was in there recently, I wanted to grab a quick Green Tea Boba to go. I reached in to my wallet to pay and realized the husband had cleaned me out again .

So I went to pay with my debit card, but they have a $5 minimum (in hindsight, I think she didn't realize I was going to use it as "debit" and not "credit"?).

She told me the cheapest desert item they had is their Brown Sugar cake and she handed me a sample......I loved it and added that onto the tab.

The samples were already cut into pieces and in a container, so maybe there are different samples on different days?

Sorry you didn't like the boba, Falcon, but at least you gave it a shot!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:19 PM

I tried the cold noodle today. It is delish...but don't eat it if you are planning on dating for a while- lots of garlic!

They said that they don't give samples regularly because you have to make a whole cup. And they wouldn't stamp my boba card because I used a coupon.. Between that and the no charges under $5, I guess they haven't been in this country enough to know that the little things can make all the difference.

I was eyeing that brown sugar cake, Riveree. It looked good. Was it like gingerbread without the ginger?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I tried the cold noodle today. It is delish...but don't eat it if you are planning on dating for a while- lots of garlic!

They said that they don't give samples regularly because you have to make a whole cup. And they wouldn't stamp my boba card because I used a coupon.. Between that and the no charges under $5, I guess they haven't been in this country enough to know that the little things can make all the difference.

I was eyeing that brown sugar cake, Riveree. It looked good. Was it like gingerbread without the ginger?
*wants coupon*
well i was thinking like give people a spoon full of just the boba when asked, not a mini cup of the drink. They don't mind cutting up cakes for you to sample though.
funny you mentioned no charge under $5....I just learned visa/mastercard have strict merchant agreement that they can NOT set minimum on charges. But i know that visa/mastercard charges merchants a good amount of fee for every transaction...and it cuts into small business' profit a lot if everyone's charging a $2 item. I usually just buy something extra if i want to use the cards, specially i if i care about store's longevity for my tummy sake.

it's a tough balance when both customers and merchant needs to save $

damn it I got smoothie cravings now and it's warm today!

ps. they actually been here like 10+ years...doing other business.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 AM

63 posts, read 284,765 times
Wow travelingfood, you know a lot about boba. Up north, in NY anyways, no one really uses the word boba, we usually use the word pearls for our bubble tea. I've only heard the words boba in FL and in Cali.

The consistency of the bobas should give a little chew and not be too mushy.. in Taiwanese, the word is "Q Q"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville