Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 21,234 times

Advertisements

Before moving to Clay County we lived near Hodges and Atlantic for almost 18 years with 2 girls, 4 years different in age. The older one went to Paxon and did okay (she probably could have applied herself more). The commute to and from our neighborhood to Paxon added another 2-3 hours to her school day. Our younger daughter went to Sandlewood, was in honor/advanced classes and graduated with honors just 2 years ago. Factually, Clay and St. Johns County have better schools but a good-great education can be obtained at Sandlewood if your daughter is willing to apply herself and get involved in school activities (they have a great drama club). Since a good-great education can be obtained at Sandlewood you need to consider how many years you will be working downtown and how long would you want to commute to downtown Jax from Clay or St. John's County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 AM

16 posts, read 62,748 times
Default Stay out of Duval Schools

I would not send my kids to Duval county government schools. You home is some what based on where you are working. If you are working on the West side of the river than I would live and send my kids to Clay county schools. If you are working on the East side of the river then I would live in St. Johns County. Both Clay and St. Johns county have lower crime, lower property taxes, and better government schools. There are only 3 places to cross the St. Johns River. If there is an accident on a bridge it can really mess up traffic and make commuting to and from work frustrating.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:43 PM

27 posts, read 128,669 times
Overall, the better schools are going to be outside of Duval, but for the two best individual schools, look at Stanton College Prep & Paxon School For the Advanced Studies (both in Duval). Beware the beastly application process, though.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,887 times
We are consdering a move to Jax as was looking on line. I have 4 kids (5-11) 2 of witch receive services (speech/language and OT/PT). I am currently in a district in Chg. Suburbs that is excellent at serving the needs of gifted, mainstream and at risk.

Could you please tell me if Clay county schools offer the same. Also, I have 2 of kids who swim rec. in the summer and a more compet. program in the winter and my oldest loves to dance.

So I'm not only looking for great schools but also an area that is convenient for my kids activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: