Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:59 PM

43 posts, read 99,525 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been researching a move to FL for quite a while, and I think Jacksonville would be a great fit for my family. Once I finally decided on the "east coast", I initially liked the Port Orange area. While that still seems like a nice area, Jacksonville seems like it may be more suitable. I specifically like JCP, and rentals there (we are going to rent at first) are within my price range. I'm just wondering if people that know the area can give me an idea on the commuting time to local hospitals. I've tried looking it all up on maps online, but its hard to determine without actually being there and able to drive in the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 AM

232 posts, read 574,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousRN View Post
Hi all,
I have been researching a move to FL for quite a while, and I think Jacksonville would be a great fit for my family. Once I finally decided on the "east coast", I initially liked the Port Orange area. While that still seems like a nice area, Jacksonville seems like it may be more suitable. I specifically like JCP, and rentals there (we are going to rent at first) are within my price range. I'm just wondering if people that know the area can give me an idea on the commuting time to local hospitals. I've tried looking it all up on maps online, but its hard to determine without actually being there and able to drive in the area. Thanks!
Baptist South will be your closest hospital. It is located off 95 and Old St Augustine Road. You would get to it by going east on Race Track Rd and then heading north on Bartram Park Blvd, followed by a right on Old St Augustine Road. Depending on the time you leave, it could take 15 minutes (no traffic). However, if you leave during morning rush hour, and try to deal with the Old St Augustine/95 mess, you could get backed up a while and it could take 30 minutes. This is assuming you hit the intersection sometime around 7:15AM - 7:45AM.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 AM

Thanks, that is very helpful! This hospital looks nice, and there are a good number of jobs. Do you know if the main Baptist Hospital, on Prudential Drive, is a good commute from the JCP area? I am a cardiac nurse, and it looks like they have a great heart hospital there. I dont mind a little bit of a commute and traffic, as I currently drive into the outskirts of Boston for work, so I'm used to it. Thanks again!

Old 12-10-2013, 06:45 AM

232 posts, read 574,249 times
Quote:
Thanks, that is very helpful! This hospital looks nice, and there are a good number of jobs. Do you know if the main Baptist Hospital, on Prudential Drive, is a good commute from the JCP area? I am a cardiac nurse, and it looks like they have a great heart hospital there. I dont mind a little bit of a commute and traffic, as I currently drive into the outskirts of Boston for work, so I'm used to it. Thanks again!
A lot of people do it. If you're set on living in St Johns County (I'd assume you have kids and that's why you want to move there, otherwise I'd say there are better places that are closer) then it's about as good as you're going to get. There are some places off of CR210 that are close to 95 which might save you a few minutes of commuting time.

The commute to downtown takes about 30 minutes with ZERO traffic. Add in rush hour and you're looking at 40 minutes to an hour, assuming no accidents.

Do you know what time you would be getting to work and getting off? That will impact your drive the most.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM

Yes, you assumed correctly... I am looking to stay in St. Johns County school district for my three children. I am not completely dead-set on JCP, and would definitely consider other family-friendly areas within the school district. I would love any advice on other neighborhoods in SJC that are closer to town. What are some areas off of CR210 that you mentioned above?

My mother (who is moving down there with us) likes St. Augustine, but again I don't know how the commuting would be for work. I'm not sure what time I would be commuting, possibly an off-shift, depending on what I can get.

We will all be going down to visit within the next few months to check out the area, but knowing ahead of time which neighborhoods we like will be helpful!! I have been searching these boards for months, and it has been so great learning everything about different areas. Thanks so much!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 AM

22 posts, read 28,311 times
Hi curiousrn

I also have been contemplating a move. First we were thinking NC but now it looks like we are going to Jacksonville bc of my husbands job. I am also an RN. I have two kids and your post and the replies were very helpful as I've only been researching Jacksonville about a month and still have my heart set on NC.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:54 AM

I was also looking into NC, charmed RN. I was looking into Wilmington, what areas were you interested in? I have always wanted to move to FL, and it just seems like the Jacksonville area is a great place. I know planned communities with cookie cutter homes and rules to follow aren't for everybody, but the ones in the area sound awesome for raising a family. The only thing that's kept me here this long is my completely irrational fear of snakes, which I am coming to terms with. :-)

It seems like a lot of "NY transplants" really like the Jacksonville area, so I think you might find you really enjoy it, charmed RN. Just try to keep a positive outlook and find a community that your children will thrive in. That's my plan!!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
Quote:
I was also looking into NC, charmed RN. I was looking into Wilmington, what areas were you interested in? I have always wanted to move to FL, and it just seems like the Jacksonville area is a great place. I know planned communities with cookie cutter homes and rules to follow aren't for everybody, but the ones in the area sound awesome for raising a family. The only thing that's kept me here this long is my completely irrational fear of snakes, which I am coming to terms with. :-)

It seems like a lot of "NY transplants" really like the Jacksonville area, so I think you might find you really enjoy it, charmed RN. Just try to keep a positive outlook and find a community that your children will thrive in. That's my plan!!
main Baptist is a straight shot up San Jose (SR13) and would take 30-40 depending on traffic and your times. I live in JCP and like that area because it doesn't seem so far away from the things I do in Mandarin.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 PM

466 posts, read 700,945 times
Are you an inpatient RN working 7 to 7 shifts? If so, the commute to downtown would be much easier because you would miss rush hour on both ends.

From JCP to Prudential drive you can go three ways:
1. Go east on Race Track and work you way to north Old St. Augustine and I-95 North
-This would be the best option if you have to be at work by 7 because you would miss the headache mentioned above once traffic gets heavier and you could avoid all the lights on San Jose.

2/3. Go west on Race Track and go north on SR-13/San Jose. From there you can either continue locally or go to I-295 then to I-95.
-I choose to drive locally because I can avoid the railroad tracks that sit right in front of the hospital on Prudential Drive. Very annoying to say the least!

If I leave my house in JCP by 6:45-6:50 AM, it takes about 35-40 minutes to get to Prudential Drive. If I leave after 7:10 AM, it takes about 50-55 minutes.

Driving home you can see if the train is there or not, so I choose to take I-95 south home and do the reverse of the 1st option in the afternoon. San Jose in the afternoon is a much harder drive. More traffic and more people turning off instead of in the morning when most people are driving straight to get to I-295.

Baptist South is much closer to JCP and would be a much easier drive. There's also hospitals like St. Vincent's and Memorial. The commutes there would be longer than Baptist South but shorter than downtown. I would take I-95 to those.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Thank you both for all the great info. I have seen some of your other posts, and they have been so helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the roads and best ways to get around. This is especially helpful because my husband is a truck driver, and he's worried about learning the roads, so I can give him some info too.

I will hopefully be working 7a-7p, so I can probably miss at least some of the traffic. I'm not sure how tough it will be to get a day position in a hospital there, I know where I work now all the new nurses coming in usually start on nights, so we'll see what I can get.

I have a random question to ask of you that live in JCP. Are motorcycles frowned upon in these types of communities, or are there people with them there? My husband loves his Harley, and he's very respectful about the noise level. I've looked it up, and it seems they are allowed, but I'm worried neighbors may complain. Thanks again!
-Sarah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville