Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:45 PM

33 posts, read 88,056 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in a separate thread, I am considering a move to either the Nocatee or Palencia area. I'm greatly appreciating the opinions in the other thread about these two areas, so now I solicit more advice.

I've seen that some of the more prominent builders in these areas are:
Dostie Homes
Toll Brothers
Lennar Homes
Cornerstone Homes
Arthur Rutenberg
ICI Homes
David Weekley

Does anyone have opinions, advice, warnings, or recommendations about any of these builders?
Much thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Advice: Don't use a huge builder - they don't care nearly as much about you or your satisfaction. You're just a number.

An independent builder caters everything to you. Their reputation is everything, thus they make sure it stays A+.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 PM

64 posts, read 163,782 times
Avoid ICI and toll brothers

Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 AM

196 posts, read 427,441 times
David Weekley and Cornerstone are good builders....I would avoid Lennar like the plague!!!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:09 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
David Weekly is good. ICI is awful.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
I posted in another thread, but I'll state it here, too. Dostie Homes built our home in 2010, when they were still known as Kingsouth. They are a long-time Jacksonville custom-home builder, family-owned. They were very easy to work with and accommodated us in every way possible to make us happy homeowners.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:46 PM

190 posts, read 315,648 times
When I visited down there late last year I looked at a lot of different builders homes and the absolute worst one I saw was built by ICI (in terms of build quality) two of the best builders homes I saw were built by Arthur Rutenberg and David Weekley.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:40 AM

33 posts, read 88,056 times
Thank you all for your replies and opinions. This is a very valuable topic for me, as other than Toll Brothers, I have no idea about any of these Florida builders. It looks like I'm gravitating toward deciding on the Palencia/St. Augustine area, so builders in those areas move to the forefront.

I'm also interested in how these builders build to prevent any flood damage. I've been looking at the St. John's County flood maps and while the whole area seems prone to flooding, there are some areas that seem less likely to be affected. I wonder if any of the better builders take this into consideration.

Many thanks again

Old 02-23-2014, 06:33 AM

245 posts, read 503,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebab View Post
David Weekley and Cornerstone are good builders....I would avoid Lennar like the plague!!!
What exactly was the problem for you with Lennar? Build quality? Customer service? Lack of choices?

We looked at a lower end David Weekley project last weekend ($250,000 price range) and wasn't impressed with the finish work. They had gone on & on about how THEIR houses are perfect before you even do a walk-through. We looked at a finished house that had been sold twice but fell through both times. We found a ton of items that should have been easily caught by their crack team long ago. So much for the great finish work. This floor plan had a window above the sink in the kitchen so there were cabinet sides exposed on each side. These cabinets looked like they had laminate tape on the sides they were so cheap. Horrible cheap cabinets. Painted a dark color rather than stained. When the sun shone on them, you could see how ridiculously cheap they were.

The model had lots of tile in it (everything but the bedrooms) -- but if you went with the standard equipment at Weekley, you got vinyl throughout most of the house and laminate for all the countertops. The base price for the above house was more like $210,000 so it needed a lot of money in upgrades to make it a halfway decent house.

While Weekley included a number of energy-saving items as standard equipment, the Lennar homes at about the same price were as nice or nicer inside and the finish work was as good as, or better. You may not have a lot of choices with Lennar but what they got good deals on doesn't seem to be crap items. And the standard house doesn't come with formica countertops and vinyl flooring.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM

199 posts, read 468,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
What exactly was the problem for you with Lennar? Build quality? Customer service? Lack of choices?

We looked at a lower end David Weekley project last weekend ($250,000 price range) and wasn't impressed with the finish work. They had gone on & on about how THEIR houses are perfect before you even do a walk-through. We looked at a finished house that had been sold twice but fell through both times. We found a ton of items that should have been easily caught by their crack team long ago. So much for the great finish work. This floor plan had a window above the sink in the kitchen so there were cabinet sides exposed on each side. These cabinets looked like they had laminate tape on the sides they were so cheap. Horrible cheap cabinets. Painted a dark color rather than stained. When the sun shone on them, you could see how ridiculously cheap they were.

The model had lots of tile in it (everything but the bedrooms) -- but if you went with the standard equipment at Weekley, you got vinyl throughout most of the house and laminate for all the countertops. The base price for the above house was more like $210,000 so it needed a lot of money in upgrades to make it a halfway decent house.

While Weekley included a number of energy-saving items as standard equipment, the Lennar homes at about the same price were as nice or nicer inside and the finish work was as good as, or better. You may not have a lot of choices with Lennar but what they got good deals on doesn't seem to be crap items. And the standard house doesn't come with formica countertops and vinyl flooring.
The base finishes vary by neighborhood. For example in GLV Nocatee, all counters are solid surface, tile in all wet areas and entry, crown molding in a couple of rooms. Base cabinets are cheap... Expect to "upgrade" them or at least negotiate better ones into the contract. You can never look at a model home and expect it to be anywhere near the base price. You will easily spend 10-20% more.

I've noticed that Lennar has something they call "Everything's Included" pricing. It is attractive, but I have to imagine that everything varies by location as well.

The areas that we visited when we were looking all had "whats included in base" sheets. Take a look at them closely. We were able to find some online, but I'm not seeing as many now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville