Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:52 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,302 times

Advertisements

Baltimore is far worse for violent crime per capita. The population there is crammed into a much smaller land area and live mostly in very old row homes. I was raised just outside the city boundary and my nephew is currently a Baltimore City firefighter. I speak from experience. Jacksonville will be a huge living environment improvement for anyone moving from Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:34 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,185 times
Not to mention the weather...

Jacksonville would win that one hands down!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM

87 posts, read 168,601 times
I grew up in Catonsville, dad2paisley. I haven't lived there for over 15 years and I haven't been back to Catonsville for 3 years, but if you have any questions, I will be happy to help.

I am living on the SW side of Jacksonville in Clay County. This area reminds me of Carroll or Frederick County. The St. John's County area reminds me of Columbia. The "city" of Jacksonville is very big in area -- imagine that Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Howard County were all "one" city.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
I grew up in Catonsville, dad2paisley. I haven't lived there for over 15 years and I haven't been back to Catonsville for 3 years, but if you have any questions, I will be happy to help.

I am living on the SW side of Jacksonville in Clay County. This area reminds me of Carroll or Frederick County. The St. John's County area reminds me of Columbia. The "city" of Jacksonville is very big in area -- imagine that Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Howard County were all "one" city.
Having lived in NoVA for a very long time as well, I think of St Johns county as the Ashburn of Jacksonville.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM

265 posts, read 509,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post

Thanks for putting that into perspective. Do you miss Catonsville. When we move, I won't. LOL

When we move we need at least 3 acres of land and a nice house, no mansions. The home has to be dog ready and capable of handling puppies, and doggies. Trying to find a greyhound dog kennel with land for sale. And not to close neighbors.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM

232 posts, read 573,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Having lived in NoVA for a very long time as well, I think of St Johns county as the Ashburn of Jacksonville.
Yep, they are both very similar. Grew up in Ashburn, and now live in SJC.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,626 times
I've never heard Baltimore described in such a negative way. I grew up 30 minutes north of Baltimore. We shopped there all the time. We went to the Inner Harbor during the daytime and late at night. Never had anything bad happen. Things must have really changed. Friends just visited recently and brought back some Berger cookies, so good! And Mama on the Half Shell? best seafood ever!. I have nothing but good things happen in Baltimore. <3 (Fond memories of onion rings too...wow..my memory lane is so full of food adventures!)

Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,661,535 times
I visited Baltimore about 10 years ago, and I remember seeing the famous Johns Hopkins University, and I was struck that the second you left the campus, it got very rough.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:42 AM

410 posts, read 602,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryde41 View Post
I've never heard Baltimore described in such a negative way. I grew up 30 minutes north of Baltimore. We shopped there all the time. We went to the Inner Harbor during the daytime and late at night. Never had anything bad happen. Things must have really changed. Friends just visited recently and brought back some Berger cookies, so good! And Mama on the Half Shell? best seafood ever!. I have nothing but good things happen in Baltimore. <3 (Fond memories of onion rings too...wow..my memory lane is so full of food adventures!)
Don't take it personally. 90% of the posters in the Jax forum live in St. Johns county so what they are really comparing is St. Johns County v. Baltimore, which is really unfair. That would be like a southern California crime debate -- Manhattan Beach v. Compton...hmmmm, which is safer.

However, saying all that Baltimore does usually end up in the Top 10 of most dangerous cities with populations > 500k. I've never seen Jacksonville in the Top 10 of most dangerous OR safest cities with populations > 500k. So I guess they fall somewhere in the middle.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:59 PM

265 posts, read 509,497 times
I am just telling the truth how bad Baltimore and some counties have gotten. I have lived here for a long time. I guess the frustration comes out because nobody seems to care, politicans etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: