Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM

75 posts, read 103,502 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Jacksonville next year and will be working in the federal building. I have tried to wade through the many helpful postings regarding moving to Jacksonville but I am becoming totally confused. All the different areas, subdivisions, and neighborhood names are becoming a big blur. I apologize for yet another "moving to Jacksonville" posting but was wondering if you could suggest some zip codes or areas that I could focus on? I will visiting Jacksonville this summer for a few days and would love to know which direction I should go to check out some of the many neighborhoods of Jacksonville.

I would like to rent a newer home with 3 bedrooms, a double car garage and located in a pretty safe area for under $1350 per month. I am over 55 but don't really want to be in a 55 and over community. A commute time of under 30 minutes would be ideal. I saw that someone mentioned 32226 and I saw quite a few that fit my requirements in zillow for that zip code but I have no idea about the commute time from downtown to that area. Is 32226 considered the Victoria Lakes area?

I grew up spending summers in Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island and Jekyll Island area so this will be like coming back home again for me. In fact, my dad and uncle built one of the first motels on Jekyll called The Corsair! I am excited for this opportunity and any suggestions will really help me sort this all out! Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:30 AM

139 posts, read 409,845 times
I'm just chiming in to bump this up for you, don't have much advise about commuting in/around this area. I did look at the map and if you're outdoor oriented it's heaven. Mostly the Timucuan Preserve and bordered by Nassau River, Four Creeks State Forest and the Saint Johns.

There is a mix of rural and developed communities, my guess is there's something in your price range there.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:40 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
We're in 32226, and the commute to downtown is about 30 minutes barring any unforeseen extra traffic snarls. A good part of 32226 is called "Oceanway", and Victoria Lakes is in this area.

I like this "Northside" part of Jacksonville (see, now I'm throwing in another place description for the same area!), but I'm bias because I live here. However, working downtown means you have a lot of choices for where to live and be within a 30-minute commute. If you like more "rural", then head north. If you enjoy more "city-like" living, there's San Marco, Riverside, Avondale (on the other side of the St. Johns River from downtown), but in these areas a newer home with a 2-car garage would be hard to find. "Southside" might a good choice to fit your wish list (geographically, this area is actually southeast of downtown).

I truly understand and share your confusion about place/area/neighborhood names! I've only been in the Jax area since 2007, but I learned a new place name just the other day, Brooklyn, because of a news report about a transformer fire that caused a large power outage. I had to google "Brooklyn" to see its location. So, I under the blur!

The best recommendation that can be given, and you've already decided to do so, is to visit Jax and spend time driving around to get a feel. Rather than getting too bogged down with place/area/neighborhood names, before making your visit you can use an old fashioned map, and with google maps or mapquest or etc., calculate an estimated 30-minute-drive-time radius from the federal building to help eliminate locations that are just too far away.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:07 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
You have a nice problem (I suppose) in that you will have lots of options. So just a matter of visiting and finding what is to your liking. I really don't feel informed to make any suggestions for one area over another though, but there's lots of areas that should work for you.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canajo View Post
I will be relocating to Jacksonville next year and will be working in the federal building. I have tried to wade through the many helpful postings regarding moving to Jacksonville but I am becoming totally confused. All the different areas, subdivisions, and neighborhood names are becoming a big blur. I apologize for yet another "moving to Jacksonville" posting but was wondering if you could suggest some zip codes or areas that I could focus on? I will visiting Jacksonville this summer for a few days and would love to know which direction I should go to check out some of the many neighborhoods of Jacksonville.

I would like to rent a newer home with 3 bedrooms, a double car garage and located in a pretty safe area for under $1350 per month. I am over 55 but don't really want to be in a 55 and over community. A commute time of under 30 minutes would be ideal. I saw that someone mentioned 32226 and I saw quite a few that fit my requirements in zillow for that zip code but I have no idea about the commute time from downtown to that area. Is 32226 considered the Victoria Lakes area?

I grew up spending summers in Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island and Jekyll Island area so this will be like coming back home again for me. In fact, my dad and uncle built one of the first motels on Jekyll called The Corsair! I am excited for this opportunity and any suggestions will really help me sort this all out! Thanks for your help!
All the neighborhoods near Downtown that are popular that I would normally recommend are going to be over $1350 for what you're looking for.

So....I dunno. Something off of Kernan Blvd would probably due.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 PM

75 posts, read 103,502 times
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. Mawipafl-you mentioned you lived in 32226. How safe is it? I love to walk and want to feel safe taking a walk in my neighborhood. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
I can only give personal-experience comments on just three developments in 32226 where I've been and know people: Victoria Lakes, The Cape, and Amelia View. Safe and walkable neighborhoods. I will make a guess that you'd find the same in many of the other developments here, those along Yellow Bluff and Starratt (and others). When househunting, it was purposely one of the observations to make to see if people and kids were out and about or evidence of such (like bikes in driveways).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville