Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:56 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprise View Post
Particularly on the northside,
That's probably why you experienced hostility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:29 AM

30 posts, read 56,340 times
Uprise and Bob has a point.

I think Bob, I feel you there about the frustration you guys are having. Where some here living in the better parts of town are oblivious of what's really going on at the 'core' of the city. (aka, near by downtown Jax, Arlington, etc..) I feel like they are not helping the situation by just saying "oh, there are no problems here in Jax" while living in their mansions along the beach.
If you are rich here you don't see the issue, you either stay in ponte vedra/St. John or have the finance to leave the city all together. (I left!! But today I met some people who also escaped Jax and had the discussion regarding hostility there. When I saw this post on city data I had to comment.....)

I personally experience hostility EVERYWHERE in Jax except for Neptune beach, St. Johns county and Ponte Vedra. Heard people yell on the phone in public (kind of like the OP heard) and constant cussing. I worked downtown Jax, and I saw a lot of hostile people AT work. (and I worked in a white-collar environment so it has nothing to do with "class") Hardly saw a smiling face at any retail/fast food. (I see this all the time now after leaving Jax. )

Anger comes because of several/different reasons. 1) people being forced to commute to work because the closer areas to jobs are being overpopulated by crime and poverty 2) Navy/Educated workforce - a lot of them are forced to live here and are NOT happy about that (I was in this category - sorry I contributed to the anger in Jax back when I was there) 3)People who grew up in Jax - constantly seeing their friends move to "cooler" places. Some of the ones who stayed are the ones who can't leave since they don't have the resources/intelligence to. (saw a lot of those..... Please use protection and stay in school) 4) Call centers - there are a lot of those in Jax - they work with hostile people daily and that kind of seeps in to the environment 5) Refugees - they are not happy people - if you are forced out of your country I would be angry too. Jacksonville has a lot of refugees.

Before you get defensive, PLEASE, come with a logical argument! I'm so tired of reading these forms where nobody defends Jacksonville without a proper explanation using logic and reasoning by attacking the person who posted the post. Or just be honest and say "stop whining, what can we do about this situation anyway? You posting it here won't make the situation any better??" (sort of what Bob said, people are just trying to make ends meet and is frustrated.... )
However, for "uprise" I know why you are posting this. Jacksonville can be a shock to a lot of people, and I think we want to figure things out since we are so confused as to why it's the way it is. But, the more we post these kind of things it only angers the residence that are content with this place.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:57 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
I live in one of those better parts of town. But don't think anyone would call me oblivious.

I have employees who work in my house who live in less wealthy parts of town. And they're nice. And I don't think only nice to me because they're my employees. They're just plain nice (not only to me - but to their neighbors and family members as well). Most are what I'd describe as "church folk" - which may well play a part.

That's a lot different than running across people who are "nice" when I run into them in retail establishments. Reckon at least some are nice because that's part of their jobs. OTOH - when I go to a place like a Waffle House - where the employees are about as lower income as employees come here - well they're nice too. And nice is hard to fake when you're angry.

Mention has been made here about the Northside. Which is "blacker" than a lot of the metro area. Is there possibly a racial component in play here? Admittedly - most of the people I encounter - regardless of socioeconomic class - are white. Robyn

Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 PM

404 posts, read 897,841 times
Sometimes, when we’ve reached an age where we have lost our inhibitions, the better part of wisdom is to think twice before we speak, and perhaps, when we write, to write offline and review a few hours later before posting, maybe even email to a friend for review.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv28 View Post
Sometimes, when we’ve reached an age where we have lost our inhibitions, the better part of wisdom is to think twice before we speak, and perhaps, when we write, to write offline and review a few hours later before posting, maybe even email to a friend for review.
Well said.

In terms of low income vs. higher income, in the past few years I've lived in a smaller townhome in a worsening area of a big city and also in a big, beautiful home in the mountains in a very affluent neighborhood. Both had extremely nice people and both had complete jerks. I don't think you can paint a broad stroke over any socio-economic or racial group.....or city, for that matter........and lump them all together.

I've also lived in the midwest, west and now here in FL. Again, very nice people and some miserable SOBs all over the place. Jacksonville is no different than any other big city.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:37 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprise View Post
Im glad to have finally found a place to post my thoughts on the city, im a bit of a forum dweller and like to hear the thoughtful opinions of others as well as facts.

Let me pre-face this by saying i have lived in several different states as well as traveled. I can honestly say the people of jacksonville (and perhaps much of east florida). Are different than much of the nation.

Hostility

When i say hostile, you probably think something along the lines of people fighting and killing each other, or perhaps just people being mean. I mean neither.
O
What i'm suggesting is that everything from consumer services, to many local neighbors and just people you meet on the street is littered with a more hostile personality in that there is a lot more rudeness, rejection, objection, and political bias in so much of everything.

In contrast, other places i have been, the midwest in particular. People in consumer services typically treat consumers like kings and queens, people on the street were often happy to converse, heck, maybe even invite you inside for some conversation. Granted, the people of the midwest in general (from my point of view) were not as witty, nor as competent as many people in jacksonville, and theft was much, much higher.

BUT

There is also another type of hostility, which i like to refer to as "dumb" hostility. Particularly on the northside, a lot of people who cant even look you in the eye as they ramble on about god knows what as they string words together with slang and incorrect adverb agreements so to make you believe they are crazy or perhaps they just dont know how to talk straight. In many cases people dont even mind cursing at a relative over the phone in public, like this woman i rode with on the bus the other day who practically made death threats to her brother loud enough for everyone on board to hear.

Just my thoughts. This doesn't go for all of jacksonville, but for many people here, if you have nothing to financially contribute to a conversation, its like talking to a brick wall.
its a humble city, but how does one financially contribute to a conversion?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
" What i'm suggesting is that everything from consumer services, to many local neighbors and just people you meet on the street is littered with a more hostile personality in that there is a lot more rudeness, rejection, objection, and political bias in so much of everything."

I will go as far as to admit that southern hospitality in general is in decline. I see major changes in attitude in the 30 (or so) years I've lived here. My gut feeling is the pressure most folks have been living in just to make ends meet these past few years is having an effect. I hesitate to use the word hostile though, I don't feel it in my interactions with folks anyway.

"Political bias" ? Here in Florida? Thanks for the chuckle.

On a more optimistic note I have to say the most ugly and negative thing I noticed when moving here from Co was the racism. Up front and in your face all day and every day. My take is every time someone moves here with an open mind the stagnant gene pool is diluted a little more.

I work in the construction industry and live in historic (old) Arlington, my social circle is completely blue collar. Most of the people I know are working as hard as they can and sacrificing more than ever just to keep a roof over their families and some food in the house. They're tired, feeling betrayed by their government and the last thing on their mind is being polite.

Good thread!
good post, people are not very nice, when they are unhappy or irritated the people around them will see and hear it. I think that is just human nature. As a black guy who now lives in Chicago, racism has definitely went up a few notches, especially since Obama has been in office. I experience it the mostly at work, luckily my dad was in the Navy so i have few jedi mind tricks most black guys dont know for white police when dealing with them. I dont think the hostility is just a Duval County thing though. Economy is slowing coming back, once Obamas term is complete white folks will be happier and less likely to take out their frustrations on minorities. Happier white people leads to them speading money and stimulating the economy causing more companies to hire. It will be like the Clinton years again, minus the crack cocaine of the early 90s.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:02 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
good post, people are not very nice, when they are unhappy or irritated the people around them will see and hear it. I think that is just human nature. As a black guy who now lives in Chicago, racism has definitely went up a few notches, especially since Obama has been in office. I experience it the mostly at work, luckily my dad was in the Navy so i have few jedi mind tricks most black guys dont know for white police when dealing with them. I dont think the hostility is just a Duval County thing though. Economy is slowing coming back, once Obamas term is complete white folks will be happier and less likely to take out their frustrations on minorities. Happier white people leads to them speading money and stimulating the economy causing more companies to hire. It will be like the Clinton years again, minus the crack cocaine of the early 90s.
It is sad but true once Obama leaves office all that hate and death stares most likely stop because people would not be so threatened having a black president. As a democrat I feel bad for our president because he has to deal with so much on a daily basis. But he has had some accomplishments along the lines of equality.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,907 times
President has brought much upon himself, no idea what this has to do with the topic though.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
It is sad but true once Obama leaves office all that hate and death stares most likely stop because people would not be so threatened having a black president. As a democrat I feel bad for our president because he has to deal with so much on a daily basis. But he has had some accomplishments along the lines of equality.
Yea its all good, racism has definitely went UP a lot since 2008, i think black people got the most love from America after Sept 11th 2001, its a funny but serious subject. In my 20s i just didnt see the things I am seeing now, i think its more than racism though that creates all the stress. Feminist, gay rights, illegal immigration have a huge impact on white male piece of mind as well, it just seems that frustration gets aimed at blacks. I really do think the internet plays a role to, it allows people to vent their frustrations about the world around them. One would think venting would make people feel better, but the venting from the anonymous opposition that has never been exposed just negates that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville