Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:41 AM

50 posts, read 58,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8mvr View Post
One conclusion I have come to is that Jacksonville is not Charlotte. While there may not be the same type of community I live in now, I am adaptable and will survive . I let y'all know on Monday of our adventures.
I appreciate all the ideas. FYI this is my current neighborhood Living in Historic Wilmore & South End - Home
Gives you an idea of what I am hoping Jacksonville may have something similar. IF not there is alway the beach or a golf curse community. Picture 29 in House I have helped with is our current abode.
South End Charlotte
So took a look at the link and it certainly doesn't change where I believe you should be looking(assuming you want something similar): San Marco or Riverside/Avondale. No Jax is not Charlotte as I didn't see the St Johns River in any photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 PM

29 posts, read 34,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarcomatt View Post
So took a look at the link and it certainly doesn't change where I believe you should be looking(assuming you want something similar): San Marco or Riverside/Avondale. No Jax is not Charlotte as I didn't see the St Johns River in any photos
LOL the only water we have here is when it rains.. I am looking forward to checking out the area. I'll let you all know our impressions..

Old 09-20-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8mvr View Post
LOL the only water we have here is when it rains.. I am looking forward to checking out the area. I'll let you all know our impressions..
Hopefully you will not find our Urban areas too depressing compared to yours.

Evidently you brought the rain with you. I actually saw 2 NC plates in San Marco Square this afternoon (clearly an invasion)....with one driving by me as I walked down a side street.

Yes, fellow Jax residents, I even walk to the Square in the Rain. It can be done! Also, I waved to every house I passed hoping Taco was looking out his window

Old 09-20-2014, 02:35 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,455 times
Quote:
Yes, fellow Jax residents, I even walk to the Square in the Rain. It can be done! Also, I waved to every house I passed hoping Taco was looking out his window
You walk about in San Marco??? But Tacodude says you can't walk around in San Marco, with such certainty that it must be true.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
You walk about in San Marco??? But Tacodude says you can't walk around in San Marco, with such certainty that it must be true.
But my wife and I are the only ones. I didn't know this but evidently all other San Marco residents drive everywhere. Guess we are like the Rosa Parks of walking. Oh, and biking too. As usual, we biked to The Jags game today (must be a lie...can't be done). We even biked by some pretty "scary" apartment complexes and run down houses in North San Marco.....but we pedaled real fast just in case a "Non-Upper Middle Class" person came out

Old 09-21-2014, 07:24 PM

410 posts, read 362,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
Of course you can....it's just not particularly common. Most people, in and out of San Marco, drive to the square and then walk to places around it.

Btw, many of the residential streets leading into the square don't even have sidewalks. Now that doesn't prevent one from walking of course, but it sort of gives you an idea.....

I'm not sure what the big deal is anyways. The fact that San Marco isn't a great place to walk isn't a big problem. I'd much rather other things be different about it than it being more walkable.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:15 AM

55 posts, read 59,755 times
The Jax Beaches area is very nice. We just bought a place in Atlantic Beach, 2 blocks from the ocean. We are in a residential area, gated community but very close to shops, restaurants, bars and of course the beach. There is lots to do. You can walk, run or bike anywhere! It is a very nice area. My daughter and her fiance have lived in Jax Beach for 4 years and we have visited many times and finallly bought a place. Good Luck with whatever you do decide! We really love the Jacksonville area of Florida!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Actually, Taco was hating on San Marco pretty hard...(and Jax in general) BEFORE he moved to San Marco. I was pretty surprised by the decision. I wish he had chosen the SJTC or PV Beach area. Seems like he'd be complaining a little bit less.
This is true.

But it doesn't make him WRONG about San Marco; just wrong for moving there.

Hey don't blame me I've always been quite clear on San Marco's limited offerings and wacky "diversity". And by diversity I mean the renters and crack-heads and stupid mini marts for sure.

He is EXACTLY on point. People are RARELY "walking to the square". Besides, there's nothing to walk to. He's even RIGHT about the no sidewalk deal.

Starbucks and a couple restaurants and few random stores.

Dude there's not even a pharmacy/drug store except the one old school one almost at the Strand up on Atlantic by the eye doctor LOL.

I worked in 1616 River Rd a GORGEOUS condo building with 4 or 6 units. Directly on the water with docks.

SURROUNDED by multi-tenant rentals and 1 room efficiencies. The only place you'd really WALK was the dirty mini mart, the Bistro and MAYBE Euro Cafe with crack heads hanging out behind it. AND theres that ratty River Run apartment complex two houses down! That place is so wack you can't even find a listing of it anywhere.

THIS is my favorite NEIGHBOR of those condos. LMFAO. Ok so don't say there's no diversity and at least it seems they painted it since I saw it a couple years ago. BTW the next door neighbor rental always had bags and bags of trash out, furniture on the lawn, wet things hanging off the second floor. Lovely.

937 Lasalle, Jacksonville Property Listing

Drive by sometime. Amazing. For 3K a month or multi Million $ sale.

1616 River Road, Jacksonville FL - Walk Score

Unit 105 sold for $2.875 Million in 2010. Worth more than all the houses on the whole block or two.

http://www.homes.com/property/1616-r...-200013195128/

The Lofts are nice, too. Surrounded by Section 8.

Mr San Marco Bike Rider over here has no idea about ALL of River rd North of Landon, all of Lasalle, all of Rivera, Laverne,Cordova, all of Palm except for the Alexandria condos, Cedar, Phillips, Nira, Larue, are all rental dumps and that's only the RIVER side of the area.

LOL what about that giant blue ugly apartment rental right in the CENTER of San Marco by the Firehouse Sub joint?

Ever been in there?

I could go ON AND ON. Because I know EVERY INCH of that place and not from cruising by on a bike.

There is NO COMPARISON to Riverside UNLESS you're living in the MULTI-MILLION dollar homes on the river and are willing to give UP the conveniences of Riverside for that view. OR unless you have a family and want to live there in the SOUTH part of it for some reason which pretty much escapes my logic. I'd go to MIRAMAR if I had kids.

N. San Marco attracts plenty of Ramen Metros and plenty of efficiency living single men. And that's about it. A couple of section 8 moms give or take, too. You can tell because the blinds are always BROKEN and windows and doors left open with junkers parked outside. With the rental section 8 notice hanging in the front window. RIGHT BY THE LOFTS LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-01-2014 at 10:00 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
But my wife and I are the only ones. I didn't know this but evidently all other San Marco residents drive everywhere. Guess we are like the Rosa Parks of walking. Oh, and biking too. As usual, we biked to The Jags game today (must be a lie...can't be done). We even biked by some pretty "scary" apartment complexes and run down houses in North San Marco.....but we pedaled real fast just in case a "Non-Upper Middle Class" person came out
Which store is your favorite?

The Starbucks, or the DELI that only sells sandwiches, or the old book store, or the stationary store, or the "designer clothing" store that defies logic how she stays open? Ooooh maybe that knick knack store that sells random glass and china? The jeweler? Oh wait, no! The Bank!

In all seriousness what's with the racial comments from you?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:57 PM

29 posts, read 34,715 times
Well made the choice. Loved Avondale/Riverside had a great house lined up but got rented before we could decide. Beach was out- not enough house and too much money. Almost pulled the trigger on a canal house with pool and and boat lift on Isle of Palms. Decide to much money for budget and no boat
Locked in to a house on a tidal mars off San Pedro north of Beach. No pool but everything else is great and close enough to beach to go for dinner. Plus near a park to take the dog for a walk along the intercoastal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville