Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,437 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Jacksonville in a few weeks. We are flying into town this week to look for a place to live. We are looking to spend in the 400k-550k range. We have a 4 year old daughter and my wife will be working in downtown Jacksonville. We are looking at Highland Glen neighborhood, Jacksonville Golf and country club and Palermo. Highland Glen and Palermo are both ICI homes.

I'm looking for honest opinions about ICI homes and also what do you think about Jacksonville golf and country club neighborhood. Which neighborhood would you choose. Also any info you have on chets creek elementary. This area is 10 miles from my wife's work. That's why we are looking at this particular area.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 07:23 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,455 times
As has been noted in here several times. ... "Avoid ICI homes at all costs and at all times" Jax Golf and Country Club is nice but there are some others that are just as good if not better. Consider Hidden Hills G&CC and Queens Harbor G&CC.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,437 times
The sad thing is the ICI homes look nice but I don't want to take a chance and have the issues I've been reading about. We will only be in Jacksonville for about 5 years. So I need something that we will be able to sell easily. Elementary schools are important. Our daughter will start school in a year. So that takes hidden Hills out. We've looked at some homes online in queens harbor G&CC. Two of them that we like are new and built by north florida builder. Do you have any opinion on north florida builders?

Old 12-02-2014, 05:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,455 times
North Florida Builders is an old well established Jacksonville company, that as far as I know has a good reputation.
I can't comment on the public schools here as I never went to any of them. I was strictly a private school kid, as
my parents didn't like any of the public schools here either. If you want good public schools you should look in the
St Johns County area, as they are rated #1 in the entire state.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtojacksonville View Post
The sad thing is the ICI homes look nice but I don't want to take a chance and have the issues I've been reading about. We will only be in Jacksonville for about 5 years. So I need something that we will be able to sell easily. Elementary schools are important. Our daughter will start school in a year. So that takes hidden Hills out. We've looked at some homes online in queens harbor G&CC. Two of them that we like are new and built by north florida builder. Do you have any opinion on north florida builders?
If schools matter, I would stick to St John's County. Plenty of re-sales in St Johns Forest or Julington Creek in that price range.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:21 PM

466 posts, read 700,945 times
I live in an ICI home and was aware of the reservations and bad reputation it had on this community before I committed to the build. I think a lot of the issues they have are with older construction and what was explained to me was that they were using different people at that time.

Like any builder I know the bottom line is what is important to ICI, and yes I know they cut corners with certain parts of the house, but that's what happens with most builders (i.e. put in the cheapest dishwasher they can, etc.). I had the house inspected twice during the build, as well as right before the 1 year warranty was up. Issues found during the build were corrected, and at one year only cosmetic issues were found. ICI did a nice job getting those quickly repaired.

I will say and it's important to know that some people have had difficulty selling their houses in this neighborhood, but I think the main reason is that a lot of people moving now had built their houses before 2009. They paid more for it than it's worth now and are only willing to take small losses. That hurts them because if people are not in a rush, why buy a 5 year old house for say $600,000 when you can build a custom brand new one for $650,000 as there are a lot of lots still available.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a cheerleader for ICI but wanted to share my experience so far. I wanted to build a certain sized house and to live in a certain area of town and for me ICI was the only game in town.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:52 AM

294 posts, read 340,851 times
Have you looked in Atlantic Beach Country Club? You might be able to build for the top range of your budget. It is a great spot IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville