Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
We get it, you don't want him letting his kid ride his quad at all. Do you have any information on the law that would provide a solution? Furthermore, do you have any conscious at all that you're possibly ruining someone's living situation by limiting the enjoyment of their property?
Personally, I don't live near him so I could care less if he rides a Harley motorcycle while playing a trumpet in his neighbor's lawn all day, every day. I'm just offering my opinion here, certainly not (laughing) ruining anyone's enjoyment of their property. And I never once said his kid shouldn't enjoy riding his ATV. Common sense would dictate taking it to....oooh, I don't know....an ATV track somewhere nearby vs. his backyard, lol. But I digress....

You know, I would love to throw huge parties with bands every night myself and invite 300 of my closest friends but I don't because I respect my neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jXdad View Post
I have over 2 acres that backs up to the Marsh.

It would be one thing if I didn't take any precautionary actions (irrigation and baffles). I think I have done more than most people would have. It also sounds like I am within my rights and not violating any zoning ordinances according to everyone here.
But they ARE hearing it and they DO find it annoying.

Most people backing up to the marsh want to enjoy the beauty and serenity of nature, not hear crazy ATV's driving all over the yard next door.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
. Common sense would dictate taking it to....oooh, I don't know....an ATV track somewhere nearby vs. his backyard, lol.
I faced the same dilemma when my son was 12 and we bought him an ATV. We didn't want him riding it in the yard ruining the grass and annoying the neighbors. So we looked around for an ATV/Dirt Bike track/riding area and discovered the closet one to us was either 100 miles north up in Georgia or 100 miles south near Ocala, FL. So to save gas I joined a hunt club just north of Baldwin when I learned that any member could have year round access and ride ATV/Dirt Bikes as long as it wasn't hunting season. We started hunting there during the season as well and did pretty good also. The hunt club membership was only $500.00 a year and we've been members for 12 years now.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
My take on individual property rights is your freedom ends where encroachment on my freedom begins, and that includes freedom for quiet enjoyment. I agree with others here. The baffles obviously aren't working well enough or the neighbor wouldn't have known about or been bothered by the ATV riding.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 AM

Just doing a very quick search I see one in Jacksonville as well as Atlantic Beach: Florida Trails & Trail Maps | TrailLink.com

Old 01-28-2015, 10:14 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post

To the OP, I've been google-ing a bit this morning on this subject out of curiosity. I can't find anywhere that prevents you from operating an atv on your land in Florida, but I haven't found anything specific to your city. You may want to try this question on an ATV forum, soem people there may have first hand experience. I assume the ATV is registered, stickered, insured and all personal protection gear is worn? If that's the case I don't see any law preventing you from letting the kid ride while supervised, although I wouldn't want to live next to ya.
It's just the ethics of common courtesy.

Be a good neighbor. Care about others. Show empathy. Be respectful, kind, and thoughtful.

If you live by these principles, the answer will be clear.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Just doing a very quick search I see one in Jacksonville as well as Atlantic Beach: Florida Trails & Trail Maps | TrailLink.com
That's a great list of trails, but not one of them I see on there allows motorized/gasoline vehicles of
any kind. But then maybe I missed it, would you be kind enough to point the ones that do out for us.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:21 PM

Provided the wrong link, here is the link: ATV Florida Where to Ride

There is also a message board there that OP could probably utilize to get his answer.

You're right, there aren't many trails around, I see Green Cove Springs is probably the closest. But I guess I wouldn't buy my son, say, a surf board while living 600 miles from the nearest ocean either. Then decide to build a mini-ocean in my backyard hooting and hollering and disturbing my neighbors.

Crazy talk, I know.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:28 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Two acres is not much land to 'soak up' the sound, but, if the young man limits his riding around the property, why is he not within his rights? Yes, people don't like the sound. I don't like noise either. I sincerely dislike it. But, it is not much different from someone working on an engine, using a chain saw, using a skill saw, operating a jet ski, etc. It is one of the sounds of life.

I would again reiterate that there can be a reasonable compromise, just to keep the peace. You might want to talk to your closest neighbors to find the best time for riding the atm. Once the child is proficient, 2 acres will be boring and he won't want/need to practice as much. But meanwhile, I think it is showing responsibility to keep him in your sight while he learns.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,633 times
Thank you for all the responses.
Everyone brings up valid points. I care about my neighborhood and my neighbors. But I also believe that I worked hard to get to where I am. I believe that as long as I do not encroach on your (legal) rights I should be able to do as I wish on my property. It would be one thing if my kid was doing donuts at 2:00am but he rides a little after school and on the weekends. I am able to keep an eye on him and we don't have to trailer the ATV anywhere.

My reason for starting the post was really just to see if anyone knew of any zoning laws I might be infringing on as I have made every other effort to fall with in the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville