Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 11,533 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I along with our two children (one school-aged and one toddler) are considering a move from NY to the St. Johns County area in 2017. We recently visited in July and toured the major communities with a realtor. Our current favorites are Durbin Crossing and Palencia because of the community feel and the types of houses we toured. We are also aware that by the time we move there will be other up and coming communities to consider since we are interested in a new/newer home. One or both of us will be seeking employment in the area shortly before our move. My husband is in law enforcement and I'm in the education/childcare field.

I'm wondering if there's anyone that can comment on their relocation to the St. Johns County area. For example, are you happy that you made the move? What about the pros/cons of the community you chose to purchase a home in? Do you feel safe in the area? Are you happy with the schools? Does your community have many family-friendly events? Was it difficult to find a job prior to your move?

Any information/advice you can provide regarding your move and the area would be very beneficial and much appreciated.

Thank you and Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:50 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
What is your budget to spend on a house?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:53 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Just be aware that the wages are far lower than in ny for both of your fields . I used to live in florida and I will go back after I retire because I wont have a job so I wont have to worry about wages .

Old 12-31-2015, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 11,533 times
We're hoping to spend no more than $300K on a house.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:47 AM

103 posts, read 187,939 times
We moved to Palencia in April 2015 and are very happy with the neighborhood and area. We love being 30 minutes to the beach and old Saint Augustine. Groceries are 25min away and I enjoy the Starbucks on the corner and the Irish pub in the mall just across from the Starbucks.

You might also look at Kensington and Las Calinas which are right next door to Palencia.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:12 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooniaboonia View Post
We're hoping to spend no more than $300K on a house.
$300K likely won't get you into either Palencia or Durbin unless you purchase a townhome or one of the new builds in Durbin where the lots are tiny. If you are looking in the $200s I would recommend Cimarrone or possibly even Julington Creek Plantation.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:12 PM

103 posts, read 187,939 times
$349k will get you one of the row houses in the town area at Palencia, possibly the Pulte and Lennar sections as well. Renting is also another option that might get you in the neighborhood you want and let you get settled before buying.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:58 AM

103 posts, read 139,724 times
There are 2 'sub' communities going up near the Palencia entrance (before the gates) that are advertising $200's. Lots will be small but stones throw to school if that is important to you.

I relocated here 23 years ago so was at a different stage in my life. At the time, I missed the change of seasons and the 'town' feeling from where I came. Everything seemed so spread out even then and the people, while friendly, transient. It is rare, particularly in the neighborhoods you've mentioned, to find folks actually from here. But most people find that easier to make friends if everyone around them is also new and eager to find that cohesive neighborly feel. I obviously got over the change of seasons and cannot imagine returning to it, at least for any length of time.

I second that cost of living will be lower, but so likely will be your income. SJC is one of the fastest growing counties in the country so by 2017, it will be interesting to hear people's perspectives on their move as more land is developed and schools continue overflowing (more so than now.) Time will tell is too much of a good thing lasts. I was here during similar times in mid 2000's and the downturn came fast and furious. Nonetheless, the area survived and is once again thriving in large part to the reputation of the schools. The schools are not perfect (we've had 2 unacceptable circumstances in this the #1 district in the state) and with the growth, imo, quality becomes affected. Regardless, I feel completely safe and happy to be raising a family in the area. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:32 PM

58 posts, read 74,745 times
We relocated to the area two and a half years ago from MA. We have been renting in a community in the WGV and plan to stay in the area at least until our son graduates from high school. We have been very pleased with the schools and have attended Pacetti Bay Middle and Nease High schools. The school population is increasing rapidly and there are portable classrooms. The portables while not ideal are modern and clean and my son is very happy at Nease. I feel the educational opportunities and career academies have a lot to offer.

The area does consist mostly of families that have relocated from out of state seeking nice weather, family friendly communities with amenities and good schools. I have met great friends through a local meetup group, mostly moms with similar age children that also recently relocated here.
The communities while all different are similar in that all have HOAs and some CDDs. There are lots of rules but it does keep the neighborhoods looking nice.

Prices have been rapidly increasing since we moved here but are still lower than where we moved from.

Most people commute to Jacksonville for work or work from home. I located a job here while still in MA. It was not very difficult but I did have to fly down to interview. My husband located work after we moved. It was stressful at the time as we never relocated out of state before but we did not have any major issues. Definitely factor in a substantial moving expense between driving or transporting cars, movers, rental deposits and fees, etc.

Our community has a ton of amenities and activities such as movie nights with a campfire, summer and school vacation camp, community swim, football, soccer teams, tennis and basketball courts, walking trails, etc.

I researched on this forum before relocating and found very helpful advice. There are lots of community Facebook forums here which are very informative.

Best of luck and Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2016, 08:18 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Line up jobs first. Then worry about where you'll live. It's the most sensible way to do things (and the way my husband and I did it 40 years ago when we first moved to Florida). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville