Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:59 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times

Advertisements

As long as that BB doesn't cross your property line, you're free to shoot. Same with firearms, as I understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 02:25 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Coyotes also have a way of solving cat problems. I hear the population continues to increase.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Folks do this in our neighborhood all the time as well. Seems as though they think "their" cat isn't a problem. I'd be willing to bet we have a half dozen "Is this your cat?" posts each week on our neighborhood website. I see garage doors cracked with their cats scurrying in and out onto other people's properties. While I don't think this is necessarily a huge ordeal, as Robyn said they do chase away the natural wildlife that most of us here in Florida enjoy. We back to a pond and enjoy the various birds who come to visit.

I wouldn't shoot a cat with a gun, but I'd have no problem zapping it with a low power bb gun to get it off my property. And I don't blame the cat, I blame the owners. Good luck prosecuting me for that.
I'm a "bird person" too - and that is my main issue. Cats kill birds. We've enjoyed watching the 24 species of birds that show up in our yards on a regular basis - and I don't want to lure birds to our property by putting up bird baths and feeders if I think I'm putting them at risk. Hordes of robins showed up for a visit this week (they come for 2-3 days twice a year during their migrations). Here today - gone tomorrow. They're fun to watch .

I'm not sure we could use even a bb gun here (but that's a HOA rule thing - not a general legal thing). I just use a garden hose set on a strong concentrated spray setting. Note that when it comes to dogs - I hardly ever see any running loose. And they are mostly dogs that have "jumped" electric fences or been let out of their houses inadvertently. If they're wearing collars with the owner's name/address - I'll call the owner and tell them where the dog is. Robyn

Old 12-26-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
As long as that BB doesn't cross your property line, you're free to shoot. Same with firearms, as I understand it.
There can be various zoning restrictions when it comes to using guns in various ways. I understand that shooting ranges are ok in some areas that are zoned in certain ways in SJC - but not most. There are also HOA rules/covenants that come into play. Not only with guns - but with pets. We looked at some HOAs that allowed "dog runs" - and didn't want to live in an area like that. Robyn

Old 12-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Coyotes also have a way of solving cat problems...
They sure do. My brother has lived in the Phoenix metro area for a long time and there are tons of coyotes where he lives. Seems like - whenever I go there - there is at least letter to the editor in the local paper from someone who recently moved from elsewhere demanding that officials exterminate all the coyotes. Because their precious cats - which they allow to roam free at night - tend to disappear at a rather alarming rate. My brother thinks these letters are a hoot . Here's a list of the top 10 wild animals that attack pets like cats:

Top Ten Wild Animals that Attack House Pets - Catster

Robyn

Old 12-26-2015, 04:06 PM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Coyotes also have a way of solving cat problems. I hear the population continues to increase.
Good point! Neighbors never let their cats roam free up in our Rocky Mountain home, they'd have been a quick meal for the coyotes/foxes who'd use our acreage as their hunting grounds.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
There can be various zoning restrictions when it comes to using guns in various ways. I understand that shooting ranges are ok in some areas that are zoned in certain ways in SJC - but not most. There are also HOA rules/covenants that come into play. Not only with guns - but with pets. We looked at some HOAs that allowed "dog runs" - and didn't want to live in an area like that. Robyn
State law trumps local ordinance WRT discharging a firearm on private property.

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Old 12-26-2015, 06:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Animals feel pain. It's not their fault if humans are irresponsible. They can't breed if people neuter them. That would solve the feral cat problem, not shooting helpless animals. I wish they'd pass laws that would fine people who have pets that have not been neutered. The shelters are overflowing with dogs and cats waiting to be adopted.

Barking dogs drive me crazy. I've posted about this problem numerous times. However, they're barking for a reason and it's the irresponsible owners' responsibility. Wish we could shoot them.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:45 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
I don't like cats. I hate when they use my garden as a litter box. I hate when they go after wild birds in my yard. I don't like that they drive my dogs insane. But - I would never in a million years consider harming a cat. Not with high pressure water. Not with a BB gun. Certainly not with a firearm.

Seriously, there is something wrong with some of you people. Maybe up your meds a little.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
mississippimagnolia - not to go off-topic, but regarding your garden, try planting lavender. For some reason, cats don't like the fragrance. You can also place chicken wire over the soil before planting a garden. It won't hurt their little feet, but it's uncomfortable to walk on, so they'll avoid that area. Just cut holes large enough for your plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville