Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,163 times

Advertisements

My family and I, like many others are searching for a home in the Nocatee community. Our biggest concern is our children's education and I am bit worried about all the talk about rezoning the school districts. I know for sure that we would like to avoid Duval schools at all costs. One rumor I have heard was all of Nocatee would eventually be rezoned in the St johns District. Is this true? Also does any one know when the other schools will be build and what grade levels they will be?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsjr View Post
My family and I, like many others are searching for a home in the Nocatee community. Our biggest concern is our children's education and I am bit worried about all the talk about rezoning the school districts. I know for sure that we would like to avoid Duval schools at all costs. One rumor I have heard was all of Nocatee would eventually be rezoned in the St johns District. Is this true? Also does any one know when the other schools will be build and what grade levels they will be?

Thanks
Most of the residential development is in St Johns County. In the past there were quite a few areas of the state where kids went to another county schools.. Locally Western Nassau County, Bryceville area went to Baldwin HS, much closer than Callahan. And Yeehaw Junction in Southern Osceola County went to schools in in Indian River County. These type of arrangements are not as common if around at all.

The only way I could see rezoning would be part of Duval County being ceded to St Johns County, Duval wont want to give up the property taxes. There is a section of Argyle( near Oakleaf PLantation) that is in Clay County, those kids go to school in Clay not Duval like the rest of of Argyle. And it would require action of the state legislature. Part of Duval South of 295 off Wells Road with Orange Park mailing address was changed to Clay in the 1980s, it was isolated from the rest of Duval by 295 being constucted in the 1960s.

So if you want St Johns schools buy in St Johns, even if all of Nocatee was changed to St Johns it would take a long time

Old 02-02-2016, 07:41 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsjr View Post

Thanks
Are you talking about rezoning within a county (especially when it comes to existing or new schools within that county) or between counties? IIRC - Nocatee was originally planned for 13,000 houses (might be somewhat more or less today) - and only about 4,000 have been built. So - if you're talking about living there for 10-15-20 years or so - there's a good chance that kids won't go to the same schools they might attend today.

BTW - I agree with jwolfer that the part of Nocatee that's in Duval County will in all probability stay in Duval County. And the kids who live in those houses will go to school in Duval County. Robyn

Old 02-04-2016, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,680 times
Default Planning

Originally, Bartram Springs was supposed to be part of St. John's County with Nocatee, but the city would not let go of it or the Nocatee land in Duval. As for schools, if you look at the data, Bartram Springs Elementary is a fantastic elementary school. The concern exists when discussing middle schools, originally many were zoned for Mandarin Middle, as the current zoning is for Twin Lakes. There is land near Nocatee for a Duval school, and the talk is current for a K-8, as new development is rapidly affecting the landscape of the current zone. There have been meetings held in Nocatee concerning schools that are open to the public, so attend those may help answer questions. All-in-all, as a former teacher, there are many options: public, private, charter, magnets, and co-op and non-co-op home-schooling. Listen to many opinions, research and compare apples-to-apples facts (sometimes the whole demographic is not reported such as ESE influences), and decide what is best for you. I can give you horror stories of both Duval and St. John's schools, and I can give you positive stories. All-in-all, all the schools in this area are good, because the teachers, parents, and communities are involved. It is that investment that will help your children succeed.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertibray View Post
Originally, Bartram Springs was supposed to be part of St. John's County with Nocatee, but the city would not let go of it or the Nocatee land in Duval. As for schools, if you look at the data, Bartram Springs Elementary is a fantastic elementary school. The concern exists when discussing middle schools, originally many were zoned for Mandarin Middle, as the current zoning is for Twin Lakes. There is land near Nocatee for a Duval school, and the talk is current for a K-8, as new development is rapidly affecting the landscape of the current zone. There have been meetings held in Nocatee concerning schools that are open to the public, so attend those may help answer questions. All-in-all, as a former teacher, there are many options: public, private, charter, magnets, and co-op and non-co-op home-schooling. Listen to many opinions, research and compare apples-to-apples facts (sometimes the whole demographic is not reported such as ESE influences), and decide what is best for you. I can give you horror stories of both Duval and St. John's schools, and I can give you positive stories. All-in-all, all the schools in this area are good, because the teachers, parents, and communities are involved. It is that investment that will help your children succeed.
Welcome to City Data .

Can you explain for those of us who don't know - like me - what you mean by "not reported" "ESE influences".

FWIW - if trailers/portables are a good indication of popular and well regarded schools/school districts - they're not only here in SJC - they're in parts of Duval County too. There was a recent article in the FTU about trailers/portables being used in schools in Mandarin. Robyn

Old 02-08-2016, 08:41 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertibray View Post
I don't recall ever seeing in the news anything about this area being changed over to St Johns County. (Of course all of Florida east of the Suwanee river was at one time St Johns County, but I don't think Bartram Springs was on the books at that time LOL)

It may have been a hopeful rumor or wishful thinking by some homeowners or potential buyers, i wouldn't put it past an unscrupulous developer or real estate agent making the implication. Or someone who confused "near St Johns County" with "in St Johns County"

Jacksonville would never consider giving away this area of land to St Johns County. The only time you see this if an area is completely cut off from the rest of the county and its difficult for police, fire rescue or school buses to get in and out without a long circuitous route

Last edited by jwolfer; 02-08-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 06:11 AM

245 posts, read 503,625 times
I bought a house in Nocatee a couple years ago and I found out it really WAS a big deal whether the kids would go to school in Duval or St. John's County. I originally assumed wrongly that all of Nocatee was in St. John's. I put a deposit on a lot with Lennar at Brookwood on a Saturday and was to return the next day to do the contract. In Sundays' paper I saw an ad for Lennar listing their developments for sale in St. Johns and Brookwood was not listed. So I looked online & found that Brookwood was actually in Duval and the county line split up Nocatee. I should have gone with my first thought & gotten my deposit back...houses on the Duval side were getting 15-20% less in rent than St. Johns, and it turned out to be a real ***** to get it rented because no one wanted their kids to go to school in Duval. Took about 2 months to rent the first time and that was only because this family's kids were going to be going to private school and they didn't care that it was in Duval for that reason..

Old 02-19-2016, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,680 times
When you look at reports, it is always a good idea to understand the aggregates and influences. When we originally looked to move to St. John's county for schools, at the time we could only afford where the schools were actually D and F schools, so moving in Duval gave us great stress until we actually experienced it and have had good results. Over the years I have attended city, school, and community meetings and events, and that is where I saw project plans and diagrams concerning zones and structuring. At one time Publix and then Winn-Dixie had both put forth ideas to establish at the front of Bartram Springs, as well as, a Duval putting in a library or fire station (that is knowledge from blueprints, city meetings, and talking with executives and district managers for both companies). Both Duval and St. Johns have had issues with fires with the rapid growth. Look how long it is taking the Bass Pro Shop to get here, the residential and commercial plans for 210, and so much more. There is a lot reported and not reported in the news, where you can find information in the public documents and other resources. As for the future of Duval where we are, with the addition of E-town and other construction, my hope is a new middle school option will present itself soon. Last mentioned by the current administration was potentially 3-4 years. All-in-all, the main point of my somewhat failed reply was to be encouraging to parents that this area has excellent schools whether Duval or St. Johns. There are many factors, including parental involvement, that make this a great area. If you want to find something bad, you will find it; if you want to find something good, you will find it. Be open to talk to the people and research many outlets.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:42 AM

103 posts, read 139,744 times
Parents were alerted to this link in our school newsletter this week, the release of the '15 school grades/accountability reports.
School Accountability Report

Agree with above post. I was criticized by some previous neighbors for moving out of the #1 (statistically speaking) k-8 in SJC. We were unhappy, my child was unhappy and it wasn't the school for us. It is for some. Interestingly, 1 or 2 of the SJC elementary schools on this list not thought of as being 'as well ranked' as other parts of the county (because they pull from less affluent areas) are indeed A schools. Look at the whole picture. I've observed our current school to be more economically diverse than our previous school and to me that's been a wonderful learning experience for my daughter (who has taken notice in her own way) and started conversations about the 'real' world and that not everyone comes from the same home life she does.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Thanks for sharing the report.

How does St. Johns use the data to claim "#1 schools in Florida" . I see many school districts are A-rated. How is it determined which county is #1?

ETA: I see, maybe it is the "percent of total possible points". St. Johns has 75%, most are well below that...60's and 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville