Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times

Advertisements

So many projects have been put on hold recently in Jacksonville. With the recent changes in the real estate market, developers are holding off on many residential and commercial projects.

I was saddened to see East San Marco put on hold (after they broke ground, no less ). It included a long-awaited Publix (currently, San Marco has no major grocery store).

In case you're not familiar, here is what East San Marco was/is:

New Condominiums and Townhomes for sale in East San Marco, Jacksonville, Florida

A new Publix in Lakewood was announced not long ago, and I was hoping it wasn't going to fall to the same fate.

It looks like the project is moving forward, I came across this info:

ENGINEERING SITE PLAN REVIEW
Business Name: Publix
Project Address: 2875 University Blvd. West, at St. Augustine Road
Entry Date: 1/30/2008
Real Estate ID Number: 147837-0000
Square Footage: 54,817
City Development Number: 3705.7
Agent: Core Development Group
Agent Phone: 727-642-2639
Owner: Dover Holding LLC

What other projects are moving forward in Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 03:38 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Surprised that Publix would be a casualty. Why is that project in San Marco on hold? Always thought supermarkets were more or less self-sustaining, people food-shop regardless of the times and regardless of the price increases. Down in St. Johns County I see new Publix construction going up left and right.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:22 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,520 times
It would be nice to see the Publix/East San Marco arouse some life on Hendricks Avenue in San Marco. There are all those nice revitalized storefronts there, but the place always seems to be a ghost town in the evenings and on weekends.....the only times I can make it out there.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 43,534 times
Economic drivers, Density etc. Publix leases built out only, the cash from sales off set's the loss from the lease's

Old 02-08-2008, 08:53 AM

81 posts, read 324,412 times
The Publix at Univ. and St. Augustine Rd. must be moving into the Rowe's space. The Rowe's on Merrill that closed is going to be a Publix, and the Publix at Ft. Caroline and Univ. is closing Feb. 13.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 AM

81 posts, read 324,412 times
New Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Mayport Road.

New 4 Points hotel, Baymeadows Road.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1972 View Post
The Publix at Univ. and St. Augustine Rd. must be moving into the Rowe's space. The Rowe's on Merrill that closed is going to be a Publix, and the Publix at Ft. Caroline and Univ. is closing Feb. 13.
Exactly - they're going to bulldoze the current Rowe's (which was the old Albertson's).

I didn't know about the other Publix closing at Ft. Caroline. The current Publix across the street at University & St. Augustine Road will be closing too (the Publix in the SteinMart shopping center...closing this one to open the new one across the street).

I think the East San Marco project went on hold because of the current real estate market. It was a mixed-use project; both residential and commercial. So, if they can't sell the residential part, then the commercial part suffers as well I suppose. In the East San Marco project, the Publix was literally built into the overall project (check out the renderings on the link...it was going to be pretty nice looking). The great thing about this project, aside from bringing a grocery store to San Marco, was that it was moving eastward into St. Nicolas and would be a nice boost for that area (spreading the success of San Marco eastward).

Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1972 View Post
New Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Mayport Road.

New 4 Points hotel, Baymeadows Road.
It's good to see some dollars going into Mayport...lots of potential in Mayport.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 PM

How about the condos on Baymeadows @ San Jose Blvd?

I forget the name of them, but they're a few stories high (6?) and right on the creek. I think they were going to be pretty upscale...don't remember the price point or the name now.

Every time I drive by, there seems to be nothing going on - like construction has stopped. Does anyone know if this one is going forward?

Maybe Publix should get into the condo market?!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkern1 View Post
Economic drivers, Density etc. Publix leases built out only, the cash from sales off set's the loss from the lease's
Are you sure about that? I thought I had read alwhile back that Publix typically buys the land and then leases out the extra buildings. I know when I lived in Tampa area, they supposedly bought the land, tore a bunch of stuff down, and then rebuilt, and some of the store front owners told me that Publix was very difficult to work with, that they did not want just "any" store within their complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville