Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate referrals of folks that have done a good job for you- can DM me details.

Plumber or handy-type- unclog garbage disposal. (It spins, but water does not drain- disposal side only.)

Computer tech- Work I need to have done includes- set up laptop computer to use Outlook to send and receive e-mail, troubleshoot connectivity issue on house PC.

Microwave installer- Also need referral for someone to install microwave- some cabinet modification & electrical required. (Exisiting hood has electric, but needs to be plug-in outlet.)

Dryer vent / chimney sweep- must do both. The b!t@h- Dryer vented to steep, second floor roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 03:19 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,755 times
Dryers are only required to vent a total of 15 feet. It is dangerous to vent to roof that far away. You would be better off to install a condo dryer vent kit ($14.00). A JEA guy who came out to give me an energy audit told me about the vents to second floor and how dangerous they are.

You can also save yourself a little money by taking a blower and sticking it up against your vent. That probably what a chimney sweep will do first.

I have similar problem, mine vents under the garage to the outside, and it never ceases to fill up with moisture / water, making my clothes smell, and taking forever to dry. Got the vent kit, problem solved.

Only a builder could come up with something that assinine.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:58 PM

859 posts, read 3,618,531 times
unclog garbage disposal: the clog might be where the pipe connecting the disposal to the main drainage. what went down there?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 PM

RE: dryer- I have it unvented and pulled away from the wall in the garage to capture the heat and moisture for the winter- LOL- I was warned against blowing it out from the inside out or the lint will get stuck all over the roof. A neighbor said that all I need to do is climb up on my roof with my leaf blower and shove it down the vent. But the roof is too steep for me.

The vent kit is a great idea, Greatlife- I've never heard of that. I will look for one this weekend.

RE: Garbage disposal- I think you are right, Traveling, I've sucked out the water with a turkey baster, dumped in a pot of boiling water, baking soda and vingegar....

What went into this disposal stew? I put a bunch of stuff in when cooking last night- potato peels, cucumber peels, the ends of tomatoes, scallions and fresh ginger- the skin and those stingy things that remain when you grate it. OH, and trimmings from salmon filets....and that is my constant reminder of last night's mistake.....it's getting a little...shall we say, PUNGENT, in here!

Gosh, it sounds like my place is falling down around me-

Old 02-23-2008, 01:24 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
hif
I have a blower you can borrow if you want to blow the stuff out on the roof and the birds that are making nests would love the soft lint to line it.

if you "just happen to stop by" with the laptop and computer over here when "you know who" is home we can have him look at it.

as far as your disposal if you ground up all that stringy stuff I wouldn't be surprised if you have a clog of it in the bend part of the drain. That happened to me once when I threw a ton of banana peels in there. you just need to go under the sink and unscrew the i think it is called the elbow part and see if thats what stuck .
you can also unscrew the disposal itself from the sink once the elbow part is off and wash out the remaining stringy stuff.

I will call a friend of mine who has a "handy man" and get you his number

Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,755 times
Potato peels are the worst. I have a disposal that will eat my plates and everything on them if I chose to, but potato peels clog it everytime

Old 02-23-2008, 01:36 PM

Okay, after much sucking and plunging, my drain is now clear. Note to self- no more potato peels.

Karla- how bout instead, I get it blown from above, take the lint to YOUR house and spread it about on the roof for the birdies. I can take pix for CD while your DH looks at my laptop- LOL I think that since I now know how dangerous that dryer vent is, I should just send all my stuff out for the old wash-dry-fold. Or maybe I can bring it with me when I bring the laptop. Better yet, will you all adopt me?! Sorry, getting carried away due to my recently ill, still-weakened body.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:40 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
hif
let me know exactly what you want done with the PC or dm me even so I can show hubby
I asked him if he would take a look and he said no problem

hey I could bring over his super duper shop vac and with blowing it from the roof we can then use the shop vac to suck up the lint

I don't do roofs very well though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville