Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM

112 posts, read 524,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria_Warfel View Post
Even bake sales (such as to benefit schools, etc) with homemade food are illegal.
Wow, Does anyone know why?

I use to enjoy a bake sale at work or the kids school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 02:24 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
wow that's crazy, can anyone cite that particular rule or law regarding home baked goods?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:28 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria_Warfel View Post
Even bake sales (such as to benefit schools, etc) with homemade food are illegal.
Really??? When did that happen?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
When bake sales are outlawed, only outlaws will have bake sales.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:56 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,186 times
Most of the people moving to the WGV area are Northerners Many times my neighbors have asked, "So where is the nearest bakery?" I have to tell them Publix. They are sorely disappointed.

I think a bakery would do very well in this area. Especially in "The Shoppes at Murabella" or in "The Lions Gate" retail center on International Golf Parkway. I think there is still available space in both of these but you'd have to find that out.

I got married in Key West and got my wedding cake at a superb French bakery, so the water issue can be overcome somehow! That makes me wonder, where do people get their wedding cakes in Jax and St. Aug.? Is Publix really the only option? If you have experience with making wedding cakes I'd think you'd really help to secure a niche here.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Most of the people moving to the WGV area are Northerners Many times my neighbors have asked, "So where is the nearest bakery?" I have to tell them Publix. They are sorely disappointed.

I think a bakery would do very well in this area. Especially in "The Shoppes at Murabella" or in "The Lions Gate" retail center on International Golf Parkway. I think there is still available space in both of these but you'd have to find that out.

I got married in Key West and got my wedding cake at a superb French bakery, so the water issue can be overcome somehow! That makes me wonder, where do people get their wedding cakes in Jax and St. Aug.? Is Publix really the only option? If you have experience with making wedding cakes I'd think you'd really help to secure a niche here.
There are quite a few cake stores in town already, many does wedding cakes.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
There are quite a few cake makers, but the only bakery I know of is Edgewood. I would love to see one on the Southside!

Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 31,417 times
From the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Food Safety (Florida Division of Food Safety - Permit FAQs) -

Preparation of food for sale to the public must be in a facility in which there is complete separation of living quarters from food preparation facilities. The food preparation facility must be adequately equipped and fully satisfy all food facility requirements of Chapter 500, F.S., and section 5K-4, F.A.C.
&
Even if an establishment only sells prepackaged food, a food permit issued by either the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services or the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation is needed.

When I moved here I thought the same thing - this place could really use a home bakery for cakes instead of just Publix. Now I know why it's that way! I had a successful home business in Maryland, but with the expense of renting/ buying a business, all the professional equipment, licenses, etc, it's not worth it for me. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
I guess I can forget becoming the next Bag Lady ala Paula Deen!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 PM

51 posts, read 184,358 times
I've been to Edgewood Bakery and was not impressed at all. The cakes were not any better than Walmart.

Sheila's Cakes is another place to try...though I just had an easter cake from them and it was bad as well. The cake was too dense and didn't have flavor. It's like they forgot butter. The frosting was grainy.

There is a bakery/cafe off San Jose, in Mandarin, but they only do sweets and I can't remember the name at all...I just went too...I'm sorry. The cake there was pretty darn good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville