Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:41 PM

68 posts, read 76,047 times

Advertisements

If you are in sales, I would try affiliate marketing, or direct selling a product.

You can do this in conjunction with a job search. That way you can make money and build your skills, and who knows, you may even exceed your job income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 AM

115 posts, read 82,537 times
I guess from what people are saying here my biggest issue is that my degree does not speak well to what is going on in the area. My degree is in graphic design, and it has been hard finding work where I actually get to put it to use minus moving to the big city like NY, LA, etc. I would have probably made that move had my wife and I not got together. However, my interest in marketing stems from coursework that I did under the graphic design program. I have done some side work for friends and family here and there, a few special projects for events at some of the places Ive worked, but thats all Ive been able to do. The first time I got laid off about 5 years ago, I tried to get out there again and find a job in my field. I did get an interview with an engineering firm that was looking for someone to design and arrange presentations for them. I was confident that I could do the job but when I interviewed with the big boss, she did not take me seriously at all. It was borderline disrespectful the way she discredited my work and my resume. Since then I havent received a single call or email about that kind of job and I have been looking for areas to better combine my job experience toward something more creative, non sales based. Ive sent out more applications and resumes than I can count. That degree has probably been my biggest life mistake so far.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You stated that you've endured firings:

Look to health insurer websites. Those roles exist but they are in limited quantity and you'd be on the road most of the time, not in an office. Anthem and Aetna both have a presence in Jax. Another industry would be financial services. Those firms are always on the road doing trade shows, but you'll likely need applicable experience.
My apologies on the info confusion. I was fired from one job a very long time ago. Sometimes I forget because I didnt work there long. But to your point, I am totally down to any other industry including financial service and insurance. I actually have friends back home who have made a long term career in insurance and could help out. However, they said even with a referral I would have a very difficult time landing a job without a more general degree in something like business, or finance, etc. That has been a huge issue for me recently as well in terms of finding an employer or a company that will actually accept my degree. I think I am more than capable of doing many of the jobs I see in those industries but I cant seem to get anyone to even give me the time of day.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
Have you tried posting your resume on indeed or the other job sites?
Yes, I am on every major job site. Hasnt provided much other than a way to "see" who is hiring but I dont think many of the companies I apply to are even looking at my resume. I have had a couple reply back to me on indeed to let me know I was not a candidate but thats all. I also get calls and emails from these bogus "marketing firms" that are just fronts for some pyramid scheme or commissioned sales job.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:05 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
The center of banking, Insurance and commerce for the entire state and you claim Jax lacks education? There's much more here than folks in trailers listening to Skynard.
Jax is at 22% with college degree vs. 32% of the US population. The numbers don't lie. Doesn't mean there aren't smart people here (hell, *I* live here!) so take a deep breath and calm down.

And saying something is the "best" in FL isn't exactly a huge endorsement, lol.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcyprojects View Post
My apologies on the info confusion. I was fired from one job a very long time ago. Sometimes I forget because I didnt work there long. But to your point, I am totally down to any other industry including financial service and insurance. I actually have friends back home who have made a long term career in insurance and could help out. However, they said even with a referral I would have a very difficult time landing a job without a more general degree in something like business, or finance, etc. That has been a huge issue for me recently as well in terms of finding an employer or a company that will actually accept my degree. I think I am more than capable of doing many of the jobs I see in those industries but I cant seem to get anyone to even give me the time of day.
Hmmmm. So maybe your best bet is to try and work for one of those companies but not necessarily in that perfect role. Work there for 6 months to a year and try and transfer over to something more suited to you. Internal candidates almost always get a good look vs. outsiders. I know I'm making it sound easier than it actually is but keep pounding the pavement.

Have you had a professional review your resume? I have a co-worker who claims to have sent her resume to 100 different employers without one single hit. I took a look at it and it had a few grammatical errors and really needed cleaning up. Sometimes it helps to have a 2nd set of eyes on that and the pros will know how to spin your lack of a related degree. Worth the money, imho.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm. So maybe your best bet is to try and work for one of those companies but not necessarily in that perfect role. Work there for 6 months to a year and try and transfer over to something more suited to you. Internal candidates almost always get a good look vs. outsiders. I know I'm making it sound easier than it actually is but keep pounding the pavement.

Have you had a professional review your resume? I have a co-worker who claims to have sent her resume to 100 different employers without one single hit. I took a look at it and it had a few grammatical errors and really needed cleaning up. Sometimes it helps to have a 2nd set of eyes on that and the pros will know how to spin your lack of a related degree. Worth the money, imho.
Again your timing is impeccable! I actually got a call from aerotek yesterday and spoke with one of their reps about my resume and what Im looking to do. She echoed a lot of what I have been saying as well as what many people here mentioned. The biggest issue she pointed out was that the majority of the companies she partners with mainly use them because they are looking for candidates with direct experience in the industry. Very few of them are putting time and money into training people who have only a "related" background which is just the kind of situation I may need. She also mentioned taking lesser roles that may lead to upward movement like you mentioned which I am not opposed to as long as my salary doesnt take a total nosedive. Although there werent any openings that fit right now, it was nice to speak with someone who understood what I have experienced and she said there "might" be something that could work for me with an employer who is ironing out the details of the job in about a week.

Its weird speaking to reps like the one at aerotek yesterday because I have a similar job where I do resumes for other people and give them advice on their own careers.lol. But, I have never really had anyone look through my own and give feedback. I think its pretty solid but I do believe that a 2nd look from someone new would be beneficial just to see it through a different set of eyes. Im pretty confident I dont have any grammatical errors but I think I could use some advice on different wording or maybe how to include additional content that might help me get noticed. Any recommendations ?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 AM

There are a lot of companies who do this for a fee....as an example: Professional Resume Writing Services | Resume Writing Group

There are also some organizations that do it for free such as : https://www.resume-check.com/

I just can't speak to the legitimacy of those "free" services. I think I would rather sit down and talk it over with someone if I could. In today's day and age it's ALL about keywords as so many companies use scanning software to locate keywords that will get your resume picked from the pile. So when you see a job description, make sure and use all of those buzzwords that they include ("self-starter", "proficient with Microsoft Word", etc.). I will tweak my resume and cover letter based on whatever it is I am applying for so that I hit those keywords where I can.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
There are a lot of companies who do this for a fee....as an example: Professional Resume Writing Services | Resume Writing Group

There are also some organizations that do it for free such as : https://www.resume-check.com/

I just can't speak to the legitimacy of those "free" services. I think I would rather sit down and talk it over with someone if I could. In today's day and age it's ALL about keywords as so many companies use scanning software to locate keywords that will get your resume picked from the pile. So when you see a job description, make sure and use all of those buzzwords that they include ("self-starter", "proficient with Microsoft Word", etc.). I will tweak my resume and cover letter based on whatever it is I am applying for so that I hit those keywords where I can.

Ill look into those. Thanks for the help. I got a call from another staffing agency for an appointment this morning that was a total waste of time. I honestly dont even know why they reached out to me looking at the all the people in the office waiting. It was clear that I didnt really belong there, no offense to them. Waited 25 minutes for someone to call my name and tell me to fill out the application online and come back. I wish I could have found a nice way to tell them Im not here for day labor or a warehouse job. So frustrating.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcyprojects View Post
Ill look into those. Thanks for the help. I got a call from another staffing agency for an appointment this morning that was a total waste of time. I honestly dont even know why they reached out to me looking at the all the people in the office waiting. It was clear that I didnt really belong there, no offense to them. Waited 25 minutes for someone to call my name and tell me to fill out the application online and come back. I wish I could have found a nice way to tell them Im not here for day labor or a warehouse job. So frustrating.
I hate staffing agencies. They're in it for the commissions, period. Avoid them if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville