Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,658 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I know there's a few threads already, just hoping for some specific guidance for me.

My wife, 2 year old, and I are planning on moving to the area by Christmas. I'll be working in St. Augustine near the college and I'm looking for places to live.
Priorities are:
school -- k-6 needs to be good.
Safety
Prefer no CDD
3+br, 2+ba
Absolute max of $300k.

I'm fine with up to a 20 - 30 minute commute.

Been looking around World Golf Village, but a lot of conflicting info on the different neighborhoods and the HOA's. Don't want the kind where they measure the grass or any of the nit-picky stuff. I know that works for some people, just not for us. Just read an old thread about poor cell service and only DSL internet in the area, which won't work since the wife will work from home. The amenities looks amazing though so if there are some good neighborhoods in there let me know if you think it's worth it.

Nocatee looks very promising but it seems like $300k doesn't go very far there.

If I can get any amount of land (1+ acre or more) I'd be happy, but definitely not a priority. Planning on buying a 20-30ft boat and would like to keep it at home if possible.

No mobile homes.

I'm ok with a fixer-upper that needs cosmetic work, but nothing that needs structural, plumbing, etc.

Small chance I'll have to move again in about 5 years.

Once I get confirmation from work that I'm moving I'll reach out to a realtor to hammer out some specifics. Figured I could be pointed in the right direction while I'm still waiting.

Also, I'm coming from a freshwater fishing background (bass, walleye, pike), are people down there willing to head out to teach someone about saltwater fishing?

Thanks all, I'm super excited to be making the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 05:39 AM

662 posts, read 868,220 times
St Augustine South maybe? It's a larger neighborhood but homes were built at least 20-30 years ago. If there is an HOA I don't know how strict it is. If you are looking for something newer with amenities, perhaps north of town (Las Calinas which I think has CDD fees but might be in the range). A little west in St Augustine, check Windward Ranch.

Nocatee is a little further. There may just be a couple houses in the 300k range but you are right that you can get more for your money in other areas close by.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:30 AM

820 posts, read 1,069,044 times
You might consider Palm Coast. My son just bought a home there and it was pretty reasonably priced. $180K for a 4 bed 2.5 bath home about 10 years old.

I keep looking around when we come visit and I like the idea that it is close to St Augustine and only about an hour and a half from the airport in Orlando (cheaper for me to fly into than Jacksonville).

Best of luck!

Old 11-15-2017, 06:33 AM

9,404 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Other than your no CDD requirements there are literally hundreds and hundreds of homes fitting your criteria in the St Augustine/St Johns area. I would suggest finding a good real estate agent to help with your search as they'd be able to help narrow this down for you. Doing a search with this criteria on Zillow brings up so many options that it's a bit overwhelming unless you know the exact area. Have you been down here to get a feel for the different neighborhoods? Many neighborhoods sound great on paper.....World Golf Village being one of them.....but then when you get here and drive around you see that it's sort of on its own island and you need to drive 15-20 mins in any direction for certain things. That's OK for some but not for others.

You're likely not going to find a home fitting your criteria with a full acre of open land for under $300K though unless it's a serious fixer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville