Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times

Advertisements

Another Forbes analysis: Jacksonville voted 3rd in list of America's cleanest cities. Only city to win in all categories. Interesting!
Cleanest Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate (broken link)

Last edited by cricketfan; 03-18-2008 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Impressive .

I think we still have a long way to go, so if we're #3, this country is filthy!

Sanitation must be doing a great job of cleanup, because I see plenty of litterbugs .

Still, it's nice to see us excel at something .

Old 03-19-2008, 03:42 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Impressive .

I think we still have a long way to go, so if we're #3, this country is filthy!

Sanitation must be doing a great job of cleanup, because I see plenty of litterbugs .

Still, it's nice to see us excel at something .
I agree.

But in all fairness, I don't see street litter being one of the major categories if Miami could be #1. From what I see, the report was weighted towards air quality, water quality and operational funding for solid-waste management. Air quality was the biggest deal. In any case, there will always be some who will pooh-pooh the report.

Also since the report looked at "U.S. metro areas with populations exceeding 1 million" they had to include areas surrounding the city of Jacksonville.
Quote:
Air quality is a huge health factor for urban dwellers, so we made it a very big deal in our study. To determine the cleanest major cities in the U.S., we initially measured the rankings for air pollution and ozone levels among all 49 U.S. metro areas with populations exceeding 1 million, using data from the American Lung Association. After eliminating those areas that ranked poorest in air quality, we measured the remaining 29 cities on the additional but less-weighted factors of water quality and per-capita spending on Superfund site cleanup and solid-waste management. From this list, we drew our top 10.
All figures were based on Metropolitan Statistical Areas (which include the city and surrounding area) with the exception of waste-management spending, which was based exclusively on the city proper.
Water cleanliness rankings were derived from statistics compiled by the University of Cincinnati from local reports of EPA violations. Metros were ranked based on reports of bacteria, chlorine byproducts and chemicals or metals such as arsenic, copper and lead in the drinking water.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,755 times
Cool. Here's another Burma Shave ad for Jacksonville:

Jacksonville may have
a lot of litter to be seen
But if you like fresh air
We're considered quite clean
... Jacksonville

Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,954 times
those forbes lists are insane and misleading. when i moved here from jax, i thought it was a night and day difference walking the streets in regards to how much "cleaner" chicago is.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 AM

859 posts, read 3,618,531 times
well the air does feel cleaner here and there are still plenty of trees around, no hazy smog everyday.
don't get this conversation much at all:
"it's cloudy today"
"no honey, that's smog"

Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
Way to go Florida! All of our major cities made the top 10!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: