Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 17,947 times

Advertisements

I second the above with regards to Beacon Lakes. Beach walk is across the street and starts somewhere in he high 400/500,000. Touts higher end living with town center higher end shops. I will mention Treaty Oaks if that’s not too far out. It’s off 207 and close to I-95 and St Augustine and backs to the city run Treaty Oaks Park. So you have lower HOA that comes with a gym, party/meeting room, swimming pool PLUS they city park with basketball, kayak canoe launch and other amenities already paid for by taxes. Maronda is currently my favorite builder in there because of the concrete block with true masonry stucco versus the stucco sheets for exterior and the layouts have the nice open family concept. Under 300,000 and up. Let me know if I can be is assistance. Theresa Robertson La Rosa Realty 904-994-2854
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,727 times
Try Deerwood Country Club. It's an older neighborhood with larger lot sizes.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:37 AM

93 posts, read 158,317 times
I agree with a previous poster who said a realtor should be able to help you find larger lots. Most new neighborhoods are going to have smaller lots, but existing neighborhoods are more likely to have a mix of lot sizes.

As for schools, I just wanted to explain a bit about the assistant teacher situation described above. Florida mandates student/teacher ratios. For K through 3rd, it has to be 1 teacher for each 18 kids. Many schools in Duval County have "double classes" -- 36 kids and 2 teachers (at Chet's Creek, which is a very highly regarded school, every Kindergarten class is a double class).

St. Johns County does NOT do this. When a class gets over 18 kids (even only 19 kids), they have to put a second teacher in the classroom to maintain the student/teacher radio. That second teacher is not an assistant -- he or she is a fully qualified teacher and does much more than just manage "crowds." The trend in education is away from whole group instruction towards teaching a more tailored lesson to a smaller group of students. Having 2 teachers is a huge benefit in this area because the class can be divided into groups doing centers, and 2 teachers can be teaching a small group of students at once.

Additionally, St. Johns County does not let classes get to 36 students. I forget what the exact number is, but I at 30 or 32 students, they will divide the class into two separate classrooms, each with one teacher. They don't have to do this, but they have chosen to do so.

Overcrowding is certainly an ongoing challenger for the St. Johns County public schools. But my daughter currently attends an elementary school that has a student body of nearly twice what it was built for, and I'm still thrilled with the school and with her education. I honestly don't believe that anyone is lost in the shuffle. Also, her school will be much smaller next year because many of the students will be zoned for a new school that is opening in the fall.

As for schools in Duval County, yes -- there are good ones. I really don't agree with the idea that parents who aren't sending their kids to magnet schools are lazy, though. Magnet schools are great options for some kids, but not for all kids. You may want your kid to go to Jax Beach Elementary, but if he or she doesn't turn out to qualify as gifted and doesn't get in (or if you decide that the academic stresses will be too much, even if the child is gifted), then you need a back up plan.

To the original poster -- as for private schools, make sure you look at prices not just for elementary school, but also through middle and high school. There are some less expensive options for private elementary school (particularly the Catholic schools), but the private high schools in town are insanely expensive. More than some colleges. Also, if you plan to have more than one child, make sure you multiply those costs.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,327 times
I am reading this post in Jan 2021. This is a great post and I am in the similar fix as the OP. I have kids going to elementary and middle school and I can't decide on the community due to lot size and exposures etc. My price point - under 700K. So that I don't need to stress about one of us not working in future.

I may hire a realtor in future but doing reaserch online since I am from Midwest area. I was in FL during Christmas time and did research in Parkland and Wesron area but the home seemed too pricy per sft and lots were too small. I know commute to Miami area would be difficult from there.

Me and my husband also WFH in IT jobs and the situation may change in future. Would like stay closer to A rated schools and general shopping and office areas.

Baymeadows area looks great with the proximity to everything but schools aren't rated that good.

Me and my husband looked at Lennar, Toll Brothers, Dream Finders, Master Craft homes in St. Johns, Novatel, St. Augustin area. Also did some research in Tamaya community by ICI homes that have custom built homes..
My question is that are there any other communities in 2021 I may be missing that are proximity to Jax downtown and airport area with A rated schools and universities close by for future. I am planning to be in the new home for atheist next 10 - 15 yrs.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:08 PM

14 posts, read 17,381 times
Default Some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHomeRsrch View Post
I am reading this post in Jan 2021. This is a great post and I am in the similar fix as the OP. I have kids going to elementary and middle school and I can't decide on the community due to lot size and exposures etc. My price point - under 700K. So that I don't need to stress about one of us not working in future.

I may hire a realtor in future but doing reaserch online since I am from Midwest area. I was in FL during Christmas time and did research in Parkland and Wesron area but the home seemed too pricy per sft and lots were too small. I know commute to Miami area would be difficult from there.

Me and my husband also WFH in IT jobs and the situation may change in future. Would like stay closer to A rated schools and general shopping and office areas.

Baymeadows area looks great with the proximity to everything but schools aren't rated that good.

Me and my husband looked at Lennar, Toll Brothers, Dream Finders, Master Craft homes in St. Johns, Novatel, St. Augustin area. Also did some research in Tamaya community by ICI homes that have custom built homes..
My question is that are there any other communities in 2021 I may be missing that are proximity to Jax downtown and airport area with A rated schools and universities close by for future. I am planning to be in the new home for atheist next 10 - 15 yrs.

STAY FAR AWAY FROM DREAMFINDERS. ICI and Mastercraft are very nice and solid builders though.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:12 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,548 times
I see you posted this in 2018. Your daughter may be older but when I was looking for houses in Kansas, we avoided the houses near water or having any pond/swimming pool on site because we have heard too many horror stories about kids drowning in them plus insurance would've been a killer for us. We have kids that are now older and capable of handling being around a swimming pool at age 11 and 13.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:02 PM

116 posts, read 143,797 times
I want to second the advice about staying west of the intracoastal...Have you looked at any of the communities off San Pablo? I happened to be in a new development there yesterday - Waterside at San Pablo - larger lots, beautiful new homes, some waterfront - appears to about your price point. I was there for a non real estate reason but noted the neighborhood and your post just reminded me of it.
I moved to Jax from CT almost two years ago, and heard the same hype about St Johns County, and the rumors about terrible schools, but after living here for some time I have found those to simply be untrue.
I've never had an issue with the schools here (nor has anyone I know here) and I think overall we just have a lot more going on in this area (I am near you off Girvin), than St Johns County.
You may also want to visit demographic data to see the differences by county. I personally preferred the lower age range and diversity of Jax over PVB ( which I was torn between for a time).
I would check into zips 32225, 32224, and eastern areas of 32246, if you have not already. Inventory is very tight everywhere now, but based on your description I think you could find what you are looking for there in your budget, and most of the local schools are very well rated.
I personally feel St. Johns county is overrated and overpriced. An opinion I formed from moving here from the northeast, looking for almost the exact same thing you are seeking right now, and having had awhile to really get to know what's going on around this area.
Either way - good luck and welcome to Jax!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville