Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 10:57 AM

95 posts, read 81,722 times

Advertisements

Hi!!

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Fleming Island, FL. Here are the reasons why:

-We want to live on the water where we can boat/tube/fish
-We want good schools and kid friendly
-We want to be near amenities and a larger city
-We want to be somewhat close to the ocean
-We don't want to be too worried about hurricanes

I'm wondering if anyone lives there and has some input? Do you like the area? Is the area nice if you want to live on the water? What are the pros and cons? Any advice?

Thank you so much!!!

Katy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 01:45 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
I think most people agree Fleming Island is a good area to call home. The only real downsides I can think of are its proximity to Orange Park and the distance to/from nearly everything of value in our area - the beaches, the Town Center, downtown Jax, St Augustine, etc.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 PM

Thank you! What is in those areas that you like to go to? Are there certain stores or places? Thanks for the help!!

Old 06-25-2020, 01:52 PM

Do you recommend any other area?

Old 07-01-2020, 08:53 AM

6 posts, read 9,302 times
Hey i live in middleburg and my wife grew up in fleming island so maybe I can help

We want to live on the water where we can boat/tube/fish
Great for all of that, there is a local sandbar called bayard. Just watch out if you end up buying anything along black creek. it can rise a ton during a big rain. ask people around the neighborhood to make sure the house has never flooded

i went to ridgeview and my wife went to fleming island and we have never had a problem, I would say fleming island is a very family oriented such as the pools golf courses and ymca in fleming island. everyone has a golf cart to visit each other

you will have your average things such as grocery stores fast food restaurants and some specific local things. for large city stuff jax is eh 40 min which has football soccer baseball concerts. then there is saint Augustine which is amazing and last tpc if you are a golf fan

again 40 minutes to an hour. grew up going to the beach, its easy to get to

32 years here and never had a problem, sure tree fall sometimes and flooding in certain areas of town but we have for the most part avoided big hits and fleming is pretty inland to take a full hit for the most part

so overall ive grown up here and have loved every minute of it, we do travel to see the mountains because you will never get much of a winter. but besides that is great.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:55 AM

if you have any more questions let me know!

Old 07-01-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchap1987 View Post
Hey i live in middleburg and my wife grew up in fleming island so maybe I can help

We want to live on the water where we can boat/tube/fish
Great for all of that, there is a local sandbar called bayard. Just watch out if you end up buying anything along black creek. it can rise a ton during a big rain. ask people around the neighborhood to make sure the house has never flooded

i went to ridgeview and my wife went to fleming island and we have never had a problem, I would say fleming island is a very family oriented such as the pools golf courses and ymca in fleming island. everyone has a golf cart to visit each other

you will have your average things such as grocery stores fast food restaurants and some specific local things. for large city stuff jax is eh 40 min which has football soccer baseball concerts. then there is saint Augustine which is amazing and last tpc if you are a golf fan

again 40 minutes to an hour. grew up going to the beach, its easy to get to

32 years here and never had a problem, sure tree fall sometimes and flooding in certain areas of town but we have for the most part avoided big hits and fleming is pretty inland to take a full hit for the most part

so overall ive grown up here and have loved every minute of it, we do travel to see the mountains because you will never get much of a winter. but besides that is great.

Thank you so much, this is super helpful!! We wouldn’t be near family (as family would live in WI), are people fairly welcoming? Do you have any other area recommendations around there besides Fleming Island? That seems to be our top choice, but we would consider other areas. We have never visited the area yet, but plan to look around. Are a lot of people into boating and fishing in Fleming Island? Thanks for all your help!!

Old 07-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprushiek View Post
Thank you so much, this is super helpful!! We wouldn’t be near family (as family would live in WI), are people fairly welcoming? Do you have any other area recommendations around there besides Fleming Island? That seems to be our top choice, but we would consider other areas. We have never visited the area yet, but plan to look around. Are a lot of people into boating and fishing in Fleming Island? Thanks for all your help!!
oh that is awesome my mother in law is from WI and she has been here 15 years now so I guess that tells you something.

Yes most people all in and around florida are very nice but like every where you always have a couple bad apples but you wont run into that in fleming island. Other options for water front homes or near water would be mandarin, fruit cover, nocatee, Switzerland, you might be interested in a new development called rivertown and last but not least palm valley/ponte vedra. all this depends on your budget but anything in st johns county right now is booming and has nicest newest schools.

Yes a lot of people boat all along the river pretty much wherever you are at. google bayard point boater skip day 2020 and you will see an amazing amount of boaters in the over head pictures. there are the hardcore fishing guys, the pontoon boats with families, tubing, and even a sea plane makes an appearance sometimes.

also once you move to florida it is so easy to take a boat to the springs or we love to go to suwannee which is a extremely small fishing town on the golf coast where we love to catch trout and redfish.

Random info I can think of it hurricanes are almost a joke to us, seem scary and can be but the history of Jacksonville shows we so rarely get a direct hit its not an issue. yes there are gators but again not a worry. im use to it but it does get very very hot and humid. we only have two seasons which means its 90 percent hot and 10 percent cold.

I really believe yall would love fleming island and ill list some places to check out foodwise

just a pinch (Hawaiian type food)
la nop (Mexican) everyone in the are loves it
whiteys fish camp (redneckish boat loving bar and restaurant)
maple street biscuit company
mellow mushroom
peppers

again seriously ask away and ill answer anything and everything the best I can.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:18 AM

Thanks for all this info!!

Small world, yeah WI has some pretty areas, but it's too cold most of the year.

I will look into the other areas. We like Fleming Island a lot because it looks like it is surrounded by water! We probably won't move for a little bit, I'm not sure what our budget will be when we do make the move.

I checked out the Boater Skip Day, and it looks amazing! It looks like everyone is having a blast.

Great info, we will check all of this stuff out. I will Google some if it too to learn more. Thank you sooooo much!!! I really appreciate ALL the amazing info!!

Old 07-06-2020, 07:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I think most people agree Fleming Island is a good area to call home. The only real downsides I can think of are its proximity to Orange Park
Is Orange Park not a good area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville