Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 4,141 times

Advertisements

Purchased new home in St Johns that is almost complete. Have a few questions.....

-Was informed that the water in the area is hard which require homes to have softener. Who do you all recommend to install one?

-What cellular service works best in the area. Found T-Mobile useless there.

-What home internet service is in the area? What does everyone recommend (needs to be reliable since I work from home)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 09:06 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osopecoso View Post
Purchased new home in St Johns that is almost complete. Have a few questions.....

-Was informed that the water in the area is hard which require homes to have softener. Who do you all recommend to install one?

-What cellular service works best in the area. Found T-Mobile useless there.

-What home internet service is in the area? What does everyone recommend (needs to be reliable since I work from home)
1. We don't have a water softener and have done fine here. Some neighbors have recommended Hardass Water Conditioning but I haven't personally used them.

2. Verizon

3. Comcast is still the best. AT&T has fiber service now but have read people saying service is unreliable. We've had Comcast internet since 2014 and I can count on one hand the times it has gone down.....it even stayed up through our first hurricane here.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
1. We don't have a water softener and have done fine here. Some neighbors have recommended Hardass Water Conditioning but I haven't personally used them.

2. Verizon

3. Comcast is still the best. AT&T has fiber service now but have read people saying service is unreliable. We've had Comcast internet since 2014 and I can count on one hand the times it has gone down.....it even stayed up through our first hurricane here.
We are from South Florida so we are used to the hurricanes. How long was the electric out after the hurricane came through. The new home will have Gas water heater/stove so at least that will be working if the hurricane came through.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 AM

661 posts, read 867,752 times
Where in St Johns? Typically I would vote comcast as well but in some areas, AT&T has their newest infrastructure and seems to be more reliable with better (but not great) customer service. I have AT&T for example in Nocatee after having comcast for the last 20 years. We are happy with AT&T and hear plenty of neighbors complaining about comcast.

In my old neighborhood in Jax, we tried AT&T for a brief stint and went running back to comcast.

Agree on Verizon 100% but still some areas are bad in St Johns.

Water softeners are never required but Culligan, Florida Water etc are popular choices. I guess I am used to it so I have never had one.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Where in St Johns? Typically I would vote comcast as well but in some areas, AT&T has their newest infrastructure and seems to be more reliable with better (but not great) customer service. I have AT&T for example in Nocatee after having comcast for the last 20 years. We are happy with AT&T and hear plenty of neighbors complaining about comcast.

In my old neighborhood in Jax, we tried AT&T for a brief stint and went running back to comcast.

Agree on Verizon 100% but still some areas are bad in St Johns.

Water softeners are never required but Culligan, Florida Water etc are popular choices. I guess I am used to it so I have never had one.
We are going to be in Aberdeen.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 PM

318 posts, read 467,255 times
All Florida Water Soft - they are out of Ponte Vedra.

Suggest having a softener put in and maintained by a company that sells them. Makes a HUGE difference in the feeling of our clothing, towels and sheets - they are soft and I believe lasting longer. Also you only use 1/2 the amount of detergent. When showering you will notice that your skin feels softer too. Hard water has lots of mineral deposits which also negatively impact your other appliances over time.

Verizon Cell service - hands down the most reliable. When we were looking at houses, my Real Estate Agent was always having problems with her AT&T - no service. Verizon is EVERYWHERE.

We have Comcast for TV and internet. We have the upgraded super fast internet, and so far so good!

Old 05-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Thanks for all your help. Will definitely be taking all your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville