Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,827 times

Advertisements

What's it like in these 4 areas in terms of safety, shopping, nightlife, arts? I am looking for a walkable location that has culture and not too young demographic. I'm a single, active and artistic 50 yr old. Want to feel safe walking alone. Thanks

Last edited by lola33; 02-27-2020 at 02:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 07:44 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Shopping - They all have at least a small strip of retail that offers some shopping, but Riverside is definitely going to have the largest, most varied commercial district and it is the only one at the moment that also includes grocery options.

Nightlife - Riverside will offer the best mix and concentration, though that means lots of young people too. The rest pretty much just have a few options sprinkled about, but they would probably trend towards a slightly older crowd. Especially Avondale (which is pretty much just restaurant bars)

Arts - All four have artsy vibes and an artsy community. I'd say Riverside is the strongest and most developed though (see a pattern here? lol)

Safety - I saved this category for last cause it really needs the most description. They all have crime issues to some degree. Springfield probably feels the worst still, and certainly its surrounding areas are by far the sketchiest. But occasional crime has seeped into all three other neighborhoods as well. That said, generally I would feel safe in the main parts of all the neighborhoods (as a younger male though so ymmv) Avondale is probably the safest, but as I'm saying there's been occasional crime everywhere.

You might consider San Marco...I actually think it feels the safest and offers quite a lot of the same things you are seeking.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,827 times
Thank you!

Old 02-27-2020, 01:44 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola33 View Post
What's it like in these 4 areas in terms of safety, shopping, nightlife, arts? I am looking for a walkable location that has culture and not too young demographic. I'm a single, active and artistic 50 yr old. Want to feel safe walking alone. Thanks
You want Atlantic Beach then. Or maybe even Neptune Beach.

SS

Old 03-15-2020, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,285 times
In terms of walk ability, your probably looking more at Riverside or San Marco. The great thing about the areas is Jax is that there is always something going on, you just can't walk everywhere.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 3,440 times
I'd come to my beach, Atlantic Beach. Or, Avondale, for what you are looking for (and age, etc.)....as far as safety, check out crimemapping.com.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:42 PM

29 posts, read 34,673 times
I am 62 and live in Springfield. I am not the youngest nor the oldest. If you want a neighborhood that is inclusive and truly neighborly you should look at Springfield. Search Springfield Jacksonville on Facebook and visit these websites.

https://www.sparcouncil.org/
https://historicspringfield.org/
https://www.springfieldheritagecenter.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville