Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 AM

61 posts, read 177,065 times

Advertisements

A previous blogger had mentioned that he and his boyfriend had visited St. Augustine a few years ago, and they found the folks here very welcoming. My husband Steve and i moved here just four months ago--and we couldn't agree more! We live in the San Savino neighborhood of St. Augustine Shores, and all our neighbors know we are a gay couple--simply because when we introduce ourselves, we introduce each other as 'husbands'. All the folks at the World Gym where we exercise are similarly kind and welcoming--whether out on the gym floor or in the locker room.

Being together 25 years now, we feel qualified for that description, despite the current Florida constitutional amendment not recognizing our marriage in Vermont 12 years ago. Weird, huh, to be married in Vermont...still married as we drive through Connecticut...still married as we drive through New York...still married as we drive through Maryland...still married as we drive through Washington DC....and suddenly....BOOM--not married when we cross into Virginia, the Carolina's, Georgia, and then into our home state of Florida.....

We've heard tales of slurs and nasty comments and hurled epithets from folks in the South towards GLBT folks. And there has been plenty of media coverage of hate crimes against our GLBT brothers and sisters throughout the country--but often concentrated here in the South.

And yet...here in St. Augustine--nothing negative AT ALL. Just lots of welcoming and kindness--from folks from every walk of life. So what is it about St. Augustine that makes this such a wonderful oasis? Anyone have any ideas? All I can come up with is that this is a tourist town--which generally means folks are more open to anyone and everyone who wanders through. Is it as simple as that?

bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,177 times
I think that generally speaking, St Johns County seems to be a mix of people from all over, and mostly NOT from around the South. I have lived in the South my whole life, and other than the weather, there isn't much southern about living here! That's a good thing AND a bad thing - but I think it's just because it's such a melting pot of people. I have friends and neighbors who are different religions, races, and nationalities and that was definitely NOT the case where we moved from, so it's a nice change!

Glad you're enjoying your move to FL! Don't you LOVE St Augustine?!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM

YES we ABSOLUTELY love St. Augustine! We just came back from an hour-and-a-half walk on the beach--in the past two weeks we've climbed the lighthouse, wandered through the Castillo and marveled at all the wood storks and snowy egrets building their nests at the Alligator Farm rookery! Love it, love it, love it!

And I think you have a great point about there being such a mix of people here. Maybe the more DIFFERENCES we all have, the BETTER we get all along.....

Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
bobandsteve? This is a general misconception about Florida and LGBT people because we are a "Southern" state yet we don't act like one. This state is very open and very "Gay"!
Unless you are travelling through some "hick" town most of Florida is pretty cool. How gay can one state get? Orlando, Miami, Key West?
Can you say? Disney "Gay Days" in June?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 AM

Hi MiamiRob!

I've thought about what you said about Florida being mostly GLBT-friendly, except for small pockets in rural towns. I respect your opinion, as you have been a Floridian a WHOLE lot longer than I!! But I find I disagree....

The cities you cited for their openness (Miami, Orlando, Key West) are indeed very welcoming to GLBT folks. But rather than the norm for Florida, I believe they are actually a substantial anomaly. They are actually the biggest tourist towns in the state, and therefore attract folks from all over the world. Lots of cultures, lots of languages, lots of faith systems, lots of ethnic and racial backgrounds--residents of those cities are daily exposed to folks who are different. And as a result, I believe those residents are more open to us GLBT folks who are also different from the majority.

But if I step back from those enclaves, I see a Florida that more closely resembles the rest of the South, where differences are feared and suspect, not valued and encouraged. I look no further than Jacksonville--a huge municipality, yet unable to add sexual orientation to its long list of protected groups. Why could Jacksonville be so less-welcoming? I tend to believe that it is NOT a big tourist town, and therefore not as open to otherness, and therefore not as welcoming ....

The state as a whole is certainly less rigid than the rest of the South--but not nearly as welcoming to GLBT folks as these enclaves are. Our Democratic Senator Nelson is still one of only seven Senate Democrats opposed to marriage equality--one of only seven!! And of course, there is no marriage equality in the state--nor civil unions--not even a domestic partner registry. Florida has a ways to go--but thanks to folks who visit from all over the world, more and more Floridians are embracing Otherness...

And MiamiRob, please know that my opinion is simply that--my opinion. As I wrote above, I am new to this state, and value and respect your viewpoint. I simply have a different one....

Peace....

Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 AM

Well, well...look on up to the sky! Are those PIGS flying? Continuing the fastest evolution in the annals of recorded human history (i.e. Senate Democrats flocking to support marriage equality)--our very own Senator Nelson this morning has officially endorsed GLBT marriage. There are now only six Democratic Senators who have yet to add their endorsement.

Right there, just then.....I could see my home state of Florida adding another shade of purple to its political colors....Kudos to the Senator! Viva Florida!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:30 PM

227 posts, read 390,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsteve View Post
Right there, just then.....I could see my home state of Florida adding another shade of purple to its political colors....Kudos to the Senator! Viva Florida!
I sure hope so.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:42 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsteve View Post
A previous blogger had mentioned that he and his boyfriend had visited St. Augustine a few years ago, and they found the folks here very welcoming. My husband Steve and i moved here just four months ago--and we couldn't agree more! We live in the San Savino neighborhood of St. Augustine Shores, and all our neighbors know we are a gay couple--simply because when we introduce ourselves, we introduce each other as 'husbands'. All the folks at the World Gym where we exercise are similarly kind and welcoming--whether out on the gym floor or in the locker room.

Being together 25 years now, we feel qualified for that description, despite the current Florida constitutional amendment not recognizing our marriage in Vermont 12 years ago. Weird, huh, to be married in Vermont...still married as we drive through Connecticut...still married as we drive through New York...still married as we drive through Maryland...still married as we drive through Washington DC....and suddenly....BOOM--not married when we cross into Virginia, the Carolina's, Georgia, and then into our home state of Florida.....

We've heard tales of slurs and nasty comments and hurled epithets from folks in the South towards GLBT folks. And there has been plenty of media coverage of hate crimes against our GLBT brothers and sisters throughout the country--but often concentrated here in the South.

And yet...here in St. Augustine--nothing negative AT ALL. Just lots of welcoming and kindness--from folks from every walk of life. So what is it about St. Augustine that makes this such a wonderful oasis? Anyone have any ideas? All I can come up with is that this is a tourist town--which generally means folks are more open to anyone and everyone who wanders through. Is it as simple as that?

bob

I think if you listen to the media and believe the stereotypes that they want to pin on us southerners, you will be able to find them.

However, I believe gays should have the right to marry and suffer equally with us hetero couples.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 883 times
Smile Looking for LGTBQ+ friends

In response to your post on Saint Augustine being so gay friendly..... I have lived in the area for 11 years and while St. Augustine is very accepting and accommodating for the LGTBQ+ community, I have not been able to find a place to meet other gay/lesbian adults and hang out. Does anyone know of any bars or bar and grills that have gay/lesbian+ trivia nights or some place that is great for making new friends that are also gay/lesbian+ that is located in St. Augustine?

Old 12-19-2022, 01:25 PM

253 posts, read 190,433 times
Imagine that! One of the REDDEST counties in Florida acting this way! Why it's almost like some in the media and on the left want people to believe differently! Amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville