Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 AM

26 posts, read 99,094 times

Advertisements

Bluewillowplate, did you ever try their Monster cookies? Yum! They would only make them occasionally. But I would always look for them in the bakery section. My grandson loves them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,625 times
Probably over the years, all together I've tried about 5 or 6 of their pastries & all of them have been really good.

The vegan peanut butter cookies & cinnamon/walnut scones are my favorites.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaluri View Post
The BEST place to buy general groceries, good produce, deli, dairy etc is WALMART. I go to Publix occasionally for convenience, because I have one right across the street. For my husband and me, Whole Foods is a nice organic shopping exerience. Where we came from, NJ, there was on about a half hour drive from our home. We would go maybe once a month., and treat ourselves to some REALLY wonderful fish and meats. Speaking of, this is Florida. Where the heck are all the good fish markets??? I love grouper,red snapper, shrimp. I live in St Augustine and the supermarkets here have such a pitiful selection. What gives?
Get friendly with a fisherman.
Seriously.
We got connected with someone who does this for a living. He calls us when he is coming back in. Freshest shrimp/grouper/snapper I ever had, at super reasonable prices.
The husband also goes fishing himself when he can.
As far as general groceries, I am not crazy about shopping at WalMart, but when I do comparison shop there, their prices are really not all that competitive with Publix.
I do try to support the farmer's market, too....basically I suppose I spread the wealth around, but it mostly goes to Publix and the farmer's market.
Mvluri, I have never tried the Monster Cookies, but anything with that name would inspire me to give it a taste.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Yup! We love Quorn products in our house too. We bought like 6 of the "Turkey" roasts with the buy 1 get 1 free deal at WF. Cant beat that anywhere.

Speaking of Native Sun. Dont you think they'll probably go out of business now?? I mean, Whole Foods has everything they have plus a lot more for cheaper usually. And its right down the street from them. How they gonna compete with that?? Not to mention the Fresh Market coming in soon.
I really hope not . They're local and they've always been a nice store to shop in, I want to see them do well. I've been wondering the same as you, "on what level can they compete?". I think there are still a few holes in Whole Food, pardon the pun . The macrobiotic selection is one. It's not that I think Native Sun should devote too much shelf space to macrobiotics, but somehow have a better selection than WF. Also, I don't find WF to be particularly earthy. People shop for the experience now as much as the product. Maybe Native Sun can adopt a "crunchier" image? They can't be fake about it, but they can carry more small label products, more loose dried herbs, more alternative products.

On top of all that, they need to be sure all their advertising stresses that they are local and how long they've been established in Jax....tell their story, y'know?

I wish them well .

Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Get friendly with a fisherman.
Seriously.
We got connected with someone who does this for a living. He calls us when he is coming back in. Freshest shrimp/grouper/snapper I ever had, at super reasonable prices.
The husband also goes fishing himself when he can.
As far as general groceries, I am not crazy about shopping at WalMart, but when I do comparison shop there, their prices are really not all that competitive with Publix.
I do try to support the farmer's market, too....basically I suppose I spread the wealth around, but it mostly goes to Publix and the farmer's market.
Mvluri, I have never tried the Monster Cookies, but anything with that name would inspire me to give it a taste.
It's been quite a while since I've stepped into a Walmart too. The social cost is not worth the saving of a few pennies, Walmart is an atrocious company in my personal opinion, I won't shop there.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
The BEST place to buy general groceries, good produce, deli, dairy etc is WALMART. I go to Publix occasionally for convenience, because I have one right across the street. For my husband and me, Whole Foods is a nice organic shopping exerience. Where we came from, NJ, there was on about a half hour drive from our home. We would go maybe once a month., and treat ourselves to some REALLY wonderful fish and meats. Speaking of, this is Florida. Where the heck are all the good fish markets??? I love grouper,red snapper, shrimp. I live in St Augustine and the supermarkets here have such a pitiful selection. What gives?
The motorcycle seafood guy in Lakewood .

On San Jose Blvd, north of University Blvd, along the river (32207) you'll see a small seafood shop in an older strip mall and the sign reads "Seafood". He's on the east side of San Jose Blvd. It's right where some of the antique shops are. He has excellent seafood (incredible saltwater washed oysters ). His prices can't compete with Walmart, but Walmart cannot compete on his quality.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:30 AM

Thanks, Riveree, I am going to look for the seafood shop.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Riveree, I am going to look for the seafood shop.
My husband was in there recently, and the customer in front of him was buying lobster tail. The owner of Seafood is a former chef it turns out, and he was telling the customer exactly how to cook the lobster tail and what veggies to cook with it. The customer turned to my husband and said "This is why I always buy my seafood here! I've bought seafood from many other places in Jax and I only come here now. He tells me exactly how to cook everything I buy!". Seemed like a nice endorsement .

Old 02-06-2009, 05:36 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Bluewillowplate, did you ever try their Monster cookies? Yum! They would only make them occasionally. But I would always look for them in the bakery section. My grandson loves them!
This article made me think of your comment about their Monster cookies.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2009/02/09/story3.html?b=1234155600^1773575

Old 02-08-2009, 11:27 AM

That is an interesting article. There is a market for every kind of product. I hope these ladies are a success with their business! Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville