Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggnTaz View Post
I think this topic has gone off in to many directions.

I think what you have a renters that are rude, and not following the rules. I don't think that it really matters if they are section 8 or not. Also no one said anything about sex offenders or crimal records. I am sorry to say this but this has to be the first thread that I have read on this forum that truely sounded racist.

Not to color or race but against low income families. This was more of a section 8 bashing then are truelly helpfull thread. This problem is more about someone not respecting others. Does it really matter that they are section 8 or not? I have met many people that have more money then god and are the rudest people on Earth, and bums that have more maners then you and me. Also you said it was 5 people. If the house 3 or more bedrooms then they are not breaking any rules about how many people are living there unless you HOA has rules about it.

My advice to you would be to contact tha HOA and file a complaint. Every time you see them break a rule file a new complaint. If there are enought complaints filed the land lord will get them out or the poeple may start to follow the rules. Again if you see them breaking the rules then get it on film so it isn't your word vs. theirs.

Aslo if you are tring to get them out I wouldn't bring up the section 8 fact because it doesn't matter. Just keep to the rules that they are breaking.
I'm not sure the number of bedrooms matters for most HOA restrictions, it's usually about the total number of unrelated people living in one house, that's how it is with my HOA.

The rule is not to prevent Section 8 housing, but to keep a limit on the number of people living in a house. If someone was allowed to rent out all their extra bedrooms, you'd end up with a lot of cars on the street, and that's what the HOA wants to avoid, amongst other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:41 AM

112 posts, read 524,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloooo nurse! View Post
racist - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

racism

low-income families can be of any race, so how is it racist? no one in this thread mentioned ANY particular race.

You are right no one said anything about race wich is why I also said it wasn't a race issue but against low income people. I used racist becasue I couldn't think of a better word at the time.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Riveree,

you are right about HOAs not caring about the amount of rooms that are in a house, that is why I said unless your HOA has rules against it.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:54 PM

154 posts, read 645,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaluri View Post
Does anyone know of laws that can prevent people from renting homes in gated communities with HOAs? I just purchased a home in what I thought was a pretty nice gated community here in St Johns County..
It has alot to do with the state of the housing market. Many investors bought in my newer neighborhood and others and can't sell their houses. I have renters on both sides of me, across the street, down the street, etc. Some are good but some shouldn't be in the neighborhood. Sometimes I tell myself I paid quite a bit of money to live in an Apt. Complex. I had my house built before the boom but to actually live in. Moving from out of state I didn't realize this could be an issue because where I can from renting was allowed. If I would have known, I might have bought in an established neighborhood. Nothing I can really do at this point other than deal with it.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:
I think this topic has gone off in to many directions.

I think what you have a renters that are rude, and not following the rules. I don't think that it really matters if they are section 8 or not. Also no one said anything about sex offenders or crimal records. I am sorry to say this but this has to be the first thread that I have read on this forum that truely sounded racist.

Not to color or race but against low income families.

Economic snobbery or discrimination does not qualify as racism. While it might be construed by some as a disgusting practice, it is normally only those it is directed against that hold that perception. Hopefully you qualify as an exception to the norm.

The tone of the conversation may deliver an attitude of some of the persons on the forum, but it might just as easily be the result of random thougths and concerns based past experience that tend to take a life of their own when openly expressed in a mixed forum. Everyone mental image of a phrase could be slightly differernt and as those perceptions interact, new thougths and fears are developed and manifest in the conversation that may never have occurred to any of the individuals left to their own thoughts.

I would not be overly concerned about this phenomenum unless everyone is physically gathered together it could actually become a mob scene. Otherwise it is just an exuberant exercise in fear mongering and will dissapate as soon as a new topic is broached.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Economic snobbery or discrimination does not qualify as racism. While it might be construed by some as a disgusting practice, it is normally only those it is directed against that hold that perception. Hopefully you qualify as an exception to the norm.
disgusting practice?? hahaha, whom I chose to live near is nobody's business, if I am fortunate enough to be able to use economics to filter out many undesirables as neighbors how can that be deemed to be disgusting? Are you trying to say that my methods of whom I choose to socialize with or live near is disgusting? if so the question begs, who made you the arbiter?
Anyone can buy the house next to me, if they can afford if, and again I am fortunate that the fact that to live in my area you need to be a person who has a few bucks and that filters out many undesirables

Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
Anyone can buy the house next to me, if they can afford if, and again I am fortunate that the fact that to live in my area you need to be a person who has a few bucks and that filters out many undesirables

My question to you is this? If the person pooring the soda in the pool and not cutting their grass, leaving thier cars parked on the road made $250,000 a year would you still consider them undesirables?

I don't think money has anything to do with class. You can be rich and live like trailor trash or you could be a hard working blue collar guy and be the best neighbor ever. It is about the person and not the size of the bank account.

That is all I was tring to say.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
My question to you is this? If the person pooring the soda in the pool and not cutting their grass, leaving thier cars parked on the road made $250,000 a year would you still consider them undesirables?

I don't think money has anything to do with class. You can be rich and live like trailor trash or you could be a hard working blue collar guy and be the best neighbor ever. It is about the person and not the size of the bank account.

That is all I was tring to say.
you're right, having money doesn't always mean that someone has class, I know in my area I haven't seen any obnoxious behavior like that, and if there people doing things like that the nasty grams would be in the mail. For example someone once parked in front of my house because their driveway was being repaired and it wouldn't have been an issue except that they blocked access to my mailbox, they were reprimanded. If they would've asked me I would have let them use my very wide driveway for a day or 2.
All I am saying is that if you live in an area with higher demographics the chance of having clueless, inconsiderate neighbors is lessened. For someone moving into a new area, not knowing what to expect, one barometer to use is demographics.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:03 PM

51 posts, read 143,668 times
The idea that there is little or no correlation between socioeconomic level and personal behavior is risible. I grew up poor and scratched my way to middle class. I can tell you for a fact that middle-class people are nicer, more responsible, and better-behaved. That's why they're middle-class. Yes, there are good people who have had bad luck. But we're talking tendencies, not every-single-discrete-case. Saying "You can't generalize" is nonsense.

I completely understand the poster's outrage that he worked hard to get himself into a nice community just to have riff-raff waltz in. He should not be apologetic for this.

As for stigmatizing Section 8, just read this:

American Murder Mystery

It's high time that people stopped criticizing others for pointing out uncomfortable facts, and most definitely time to stop throwing the word "racist" around. Stifling honest, factual discussion solves nothing and simply enables more bad behavior.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 AM

26 posts, read 99,110 times
I mentioned the section 8 issue for one reason only: the people I described living in my community are obviously disabled: The man was observed masturbating in his backyard. The elderly lady next door put up a fence so she wouldn't have to see this disturbing behavior. These people need the supervision and life skills training that only a group home can offer. Our community is not the place for them. Tggntaz, read what schizuki wrote: People work hard all their lives and desire a nice retirement: They have a right to a pleasant, worry - free neighborhood. Yes, the people who are eligible for section 8 are low income, and many are disabled. Due to a lack of education, a poor upbringing, or whatever reason, they can't or don't want to follow simple everyday rules of behavior. The media, television, movies, and video games all contribute to a lax attitude toward decency and courtesy. That is why so many gated communities are going up all over the country. Home OWNERS who have a vested interest in the community want to keep it that way. They have invested their life's work in their homes. They have a right to strive to maintain a decent way of life. PS my next door neighbors an African American couple who are two intelligent, courteous people who love their home and their surroundings, and there are a diverse group of homeowners throughout the neigborhood. But they all have one thing in common: they want a beautiful, decent community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: