Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,881 times

Advertisements

Why does everyone think that people here drive too slow? I don't know ... with the speed limit for the most part at 70 on 95 I don't see too many drivers doing less than 80 to 85 and beyond. (Well, maybe a few elderly drivers making their way thru from Quebec). Getting in and around the city may be a different story but in general I don't see too many slow drivers on 95. Is it that driving at the legal 70 or 75 is consider slooooow?

I used to think that driving in NJ was really slow but that was because before you could get up to any decent speed there would be another toll booth. And in NY and Boston spring and summer driving was always painful with all the DOT workers filling in potholes from the last winter. But here in NEFL highway driving is just fine with me. Slow drivers on 95 ... what's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 AM

702 posts, read 2,186,422 times
My only grief with 95 (or any other Interstate for that matter), is people suddenly putting on their breaks for accidents, people changing their tires, people pulled over and other "distractions" on the side of the highway. If you want to look, fine, but why the breaks??

Old 06-23-2008, 09:55 AM

859 posts, read 3,619,202 times
1. Increased speeding fine from baymeadows to emerson. 1 mph = ticket, but no one really cares about that and still drives over 70mph.

2. Other then simply being a rubber neck, you are supposed to slow down for accidents, emergency activities.

3. Some people still think driving fast = better millage.

It's really the people driving slow on the left lane that annoys me. Worse when all lanes are going slow for no reason.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 AM

702 posts, read 2,186,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
1. Increased speeding fine from baymeadows to emerson. 1 mph = ticket, but no one really cares about that and still drives over 70mph.

2. Other then simply being a rubber neck, you are supposed to slow down for accidents, emergency activities.

3. Some people still think driving fast = better millage.

It's really the people driving slow on the left lane that annoys me. Worse when all lanes are going slow for no reason.
I am with you on that! I also meant to say I noticed people cannot merge, why are you going to slow down to get on a road where people are going 60+??

Old 06-23-2008, 11:04 AM

70 posts, read 362,335 times
So it looks like the issue isn't really whether people drive slower on 95, but whether people are worse drivers on 95.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM

32 posts, read 75,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaroo View Post
So it looks like the issue isn't really whether people drive slower on 95, but whether people are worse drivers on 95.
a big issue on 95 is that there are many tourists who are not familiar with the road, I am sure most of us travel the same roads everyday and are quite familiar with them and driving on them is second nature, when you have a lot of cars on a road and many of the drivers are newbies on that road they tend to be a bit slower in their decision making.
I also echo the point to slower drivers should not hog the left lane

Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2fla View Post
a big issue on 95 is that there are many tourists who are not familiar with the road, I am sure most of us travel the same roads everyday and are quite familiar with them and driving on them is second nature
What is there to be familiar with? 95 is one straight line.

But the thing that gets me is when some crazy tailgater drives right up to my rear-end with his brights on to tell me "move over", and I'm doing 75, maybe 80. If I tap my brakes I know he's gonna do a dive thru his windshield head first.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:39 PM

367 posts, read 696,059 times
It isn't just you. I was there from Wed-Fri of last week and thought I was going to run over the entire state. At one point, without much traffic, I was going 55 in a 65. Going the speed limit I can deal with, but going that far under may cause me to get a bullhorn attached to the car so I can yell....YO!!!! GOING AT LEAST THE SPEED LIMIT IS A GOOD THING!! NOW GET.....OUT....OF....MY....WAY!!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM

32 posts, read 75,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
What is there to be familiar with? 95 is one straight line.

But the thing that gets me is when some crazy tailgater drives right up to my rear-end with his brights on to tell me "move over", and I'm doing 75, maybe 80. If I tap my brakes I know he's gonna do a dive thru his windshield head first.
You should try getting over! I'm a slow poke sometimes ( but I stay in the right lane) and every once in awhile some kook does that to me, I just start to coast until I am going so slow he passes.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post

Oh, don't do that, Cricket! Don't tap your brakes . For one thing, you will seriously anger that driver behind you, you've now escalated things to a level you may wish you hadn't. Worse would be if it causes the driver to hit your bumper, it can send you off the road .

The thing is, no one knows why the driver behind you wants to pass. We know they're in a big hurry, but we may not know why. What if they have a sick child or pet that they're trying to get emergency help for? What if a relative has just been lifeflighted in to the hospital and they're trying to get there are fast as they can (this has happened to me )?

And remember from my previous post, in all seriousness, transplant organs are transported by unmarked cars every day on the highways and those drivers are in a hurry for a good reason .

It's best just to pull over and let them pass, especially if you're doing under 80mph. I've seen people run off the road on I95 and into the woods due to road rage, it's not worth it, just move to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville